Change Mode

Windows Home Server

Pretty generous trial offer if you ask me. I just hope I can buy a key if I like it without re-installing. Product has been getting mostley good reviews. Suppose to be a easy to use/cheap version of Windows 2003.

Speedy delivery: I ordered the disks on Dec. 26 and they were here on December 31, around $6.00 to ship, and no intrusive give-your-soul-away requirements to receive, maybe an email addy.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...server/buy.mspx

Suppose to retail OEM for about $190; newegg has it for $170 now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16832116395

Someone be sure to post the Linux version and how much money we can save if we can figure out how to use it.

Haven't set mine up yet, but will probably do it this weekend.

:)

Since you requested it....

Linux version = Free, install it on as many machines as you like. http://www.opensuse.org/

How to use it.

Put the DVD in the drive, reboot computer, install operating system, install ftp, smb, apache, select shares, and or http page and away you go.

No worries about "trial" limits running out.

Or if you prefer to have telephone installation support for free, you buy a boxed set for $59, install on as many computers as you want.................. http://en.opensuse.org/Buy_openSUSE

No restrictions, no limitations, no DRM, nothing to inhibit your usage in any way.

If you can't figure out how to use it, you could probably find a local support company to help you with computer basics ;)

Edited by Bruce

Tried signing up, but the page uses proprietary code that doesn't work with web standards, in other words, if you don't use windows, I guess you can't try windows. :huh:

Odd way to try to get people to try their products. :shrug:

Since you requested it....

Linux version = Free, install it on as many machines as you like. http://www.opensuse.org/

How to use it.

Put the DVD in the drive, reboot computer, install operating system, install ftp, smb, apache, select shares, and or http page and away you go.

No worries about "trial" limits running out.

Or if you prefer to have telephone installation support for free, you buy a boxed set for $59, install on as many computers as you want.................. http://en.opensuse.org/Buy_openSUSE

No restrictions, no limitations, no DRM, nothing to inhibit your usage in any way.

If you can't figure out how to use it, you could probably find a local support company to help you with computer basics ;)

this should be the $100 winner.

I have Windows Home Server up and running. Some quick, short first impressions, keeping in mind that I am a server novice:

It took over 2 hours to install--what's up with that :shrug:

Things I like :tup:

-Pretty straight forward, easy interface (perhaps too easy--not sure I can make it do what I want it to do)

-able to access from internet easily

-uploading files was pretty straight forward--no problems. I have music and pictures mostly that I want to share/stream

-from my sis-in-law's house I download some files to her computer

-big plus: download files were automatically zipped. Very cool!

-there are lots of MS and other website help areas and an online community/forum

-I haven't tried printer sharing, but there is a folder for it. I print on my home network. What would be the advantage here?

Things I don't like :tdn:

-to get the web access, you have to sign up with MS (Live ID, or HotMail account, etc. or something like that--I know there will be/is privacy issues for some) but, hey, it's free! Would it be free elsewhere or would you need a host?

-flippin' Vista Home Premium does not support Remote Access--but XP does (ridiculous, what a scam that is--they want you to upgrade, of course)

-having streaming issues--I think it is because I want to use iTunes, haven't figured out if it is supported. Don't think so. I can double-click on a server song, and it opens on my home machine and plays because iTunes is my default player, but I can't get iTunes to find the server. My reading tells me they want me to use Windows Media Player. Blehh! (I know iTunes is just as bad in being proprietary, but I'm used to it)

-because this is fairly new, there seems like there is lack of tools/add-ons; folders are folders, generic. I notice when I go to Bruce's website/server, true?, the pictures are organized with some kind of program, and I'm guessing he has all the control he wants.

--since I deal mostly with my music MP3's and my pictures, DRM is not a problem, but I can see how it could be. Lots of disclaimers for protected media, permission for this, permission for that...can't play this, can't play that. There is a place somewhere that tells the supported files; I will post it later.

-I can see that if you own an Xbox 360, this would probably be the way to go for streaming, maybe the only one(?).

-I haven't discovered yet any way to share my photos, etc. without having others log onto the server with my password. That doesn't seem desirable and will probably be a deal killer. I guess when Windows says I can share, they mean only with myself :rofl3:

-streaming is only supported on your home network. Dammit, I want to listen to my music anywhere. Is that too much to ask or is it just Windows? Or will there be a hack, umm, add-on?

All in all, I am going to continue my trial for awhile as the product does have some potential, but I doubt if this is something I would shell out $170 to keep at this time.

Oh yeah, one of the most highly touted features, the auto backup, I have never been able to get it to work; it is supposed to backup every machine on the network once, then do incremental ones after that. The big deal is you are suppose to be able to restore any backup from the server by using an included disk. I get some incomprehensible error message--I've tried twice now.

I also wish it would would give some choice of what to back up originally as I have a broken XP partition on this Vista machine. Maybe that is the problem. I haven't deleted it because I have some data on it that I keep thinking I can get by fixing the XP boot.

Any dialogue about how Linux handles these situations would be appreciated, honest, or if anyone else is running WHS, tips woud be appreciated too. ffr2 :)

Edited by flyfishingrules2

Well I can see that this operating system could be a huge problem for me.

The majority of my music files are OGG.

My video files are either(avi, mpeg) xvid, divx, or mov.

It doesn't allow backups from anything but a windows machine (and apparently according to ff2, it doesn't do that well either.

It uses IIS for the web server, and apparently doesn't allow you to run it unless you use domain name resolutions through MS Live accounts. :surrender::thud:

I haven't received my copy yet, so I am just speculating that these things will issues, I will find out when it arrives.

I am sure for a "windows user" it is easier to set up, just because of familiarity with the way things work in windows. But there is a lot to be said for having the ability to customize and change things to suit your individual needs.

The server I have my itsyourpc.org site running on is not here at my house, but is a Linux domain server I pay for. I don't run my website from the house because of bandwidth issues.

you have to have great upload speed to stream well :P

if you cannot stream over the web at all then :shrug:

judging by what you have posted so far an ftp server sounds more like what you need or a simple remote connection.

are you looking for more than that, a mail server for example, putting up a web page?

setting up my ftp server was as easy as five clicks of a mouse, drag and drop, creating sub directories as i go, i was able to stream media well, its default setup was how i wanted it to be, files could be downloaded, no need for password protection as long as rules are in place, i could monitor those that access the site, limit bandwidth and visits, i could ban users, no domain required, once all setup you can remove monitor keboard and mouse, leave it running all the time or use it as you wish, nothing to it, not even a price$ :)

Yeah, Bruce, I figured this would be of limited use to you, but I know you like to "kick the tires."

Here are the supported file formats as of now--

Audio: wma, asf, mp3, wav, wpl, and m3u

Photos: bmp, gif, jpeg, jpg, png, tif, and tiff

Video: wmv, dvr-ms, avi, mpeg, mpg, mp2, mpeg, and mpg

Duane: I don't know if I need a server either--if I really want to stream music everywhere, I have a mp3 player. A server does seem like overkill :shrug:

Windows Home Server comes with Windows Media Connect 2.0, which I believe is some kind MS sticker of approval and compatibility--Xbox 360 and Vista have it too, but from what I have read it is a pain in the butt, intrusive-wise, I mean. Some recommend using Windows Media Center to stream, which Vista Premium has so I'm off to try it.

I believe my issue with not having others share my photos is because I turned off Guest Accounts when I saw somewhere you didn't need a password to use it :laughing:

Well I believe you would need to create user accounts for each person you want to have access, then you can limit what they can and can not access.

While it may be an easy server to set up, I do believe they overstate its ease, and also in the process of "making it easy" they remove many of or neglect to mention the capabilities of a server.

So either they have removed advanced features, or have just hidden/don't mention them.

Yes, you can set up as many User accounts and passwords and and what kind of permissions. Very easy now that I see the buttons and what they are for. :tup:

Guests cannot have remote access so I guess there is no way to let people at the Pit see my pictures, for instance, though I guess I could set up an account called Friends or something and limit access, but it has to have a password. Awkward.

Bruce, in one of your posts you say, Windows Home Server "uses IIS for the web server," what does that mean?

:)

IIS is the name of the server that windows uses. Internet Information Services.

It is also included with win2000 and winXP professional. ;)

You can run web pages from win2k and winXP

To be honest it isn't something I would recommend to the average person as they likely wouldn't secure it properly.

well jeez, now i'm curious. ms home server isn't available to me via my msdn subscription. :(

it would make for a good experiment in vmware. oh well.

badbinary, how long has it been since you updated your profile? :huh:

:ax: Ha! I'm streaming now through Windows Media Center with a slideshow that picked up my pictures and mixes it with album cover art. Rockin' out to Bubble Puppy (forgot how good they are) :rocks:

:banana2::whistling::banana3::note2::banana:

let me check it out via pm :mrgreen:

Set up a server.

Took me about an hour complete fresh install of OpenSuSE

samba file server (windows shares)

ftp server for user account (internet access to files)

http server for user account (serve up files over the internet to friends and family, or host a web site

remote desktop access ( work directly on the server via a GUI)

print server (obvious, use attached printers over network)

Edited by Bruce

not bad bruce, the http looks and has great speed as well as the ftp server, fantastic job, for a second or two dl'ing from ftp was around 200kbps than dropped to around 80kbps, if that your home connection it is sufficient enough for public access till you get several connections of course, then you might want to limit the number of connections :)