best FREE anti-virus software

I have been using norton anti-virus given by my school, but recently when i sent files to my friend, his free AVG anti-virus detected a trojon. I have been doing full scan once a week and updating my norton everyDAY. So i am wondering what happen and is there any good recomendation on any free anti-virus. ( sorry for poor spelling)

I have been using norton anti-virus given by my school, but recently when i sent files to my friend, his free AVG anti-virus detected a trojon. I have been doing full scan once a week and updating my norton everyDAY. So i am wondering what happen and is there any good recomendation on any free anti-virus. ( sorry for poor spelling)

Try Bitdefender 10 free.

The latest issue of "Gizmo's 46 Best" provides a link to performances of a number of popular AV's.

Ditto for firewalls. (hmm...top-rated was a freebie; ZA free, however, sux to an astonishing degree).

Edited by poru

First question: Are you sure it is a trojan, and not a false positive? What was the reported text of his alert message?

I'm no lover of Norton, but for reasons unrelated to its quality of protection. It consistently scores above average on virus testing sites, including Avcomparitives.org.

Next, a recommendation. Get a couple (or more) of good free antispyware scanners. Like Superantispyware, ASquared, for example. AVG also have a trial antispyware, that reverts to an on demand scanner once the trial is up. Update and scan with them from time to time.

Any file detected as a trojan (or other malware) can be submitted to virustotal for an online check. That should also give an indication as to whether it is malware or not.

MANY MANY thx..... :clap:

another question..how come some of the virus cannot be deleted?

Without knowing more information, a reply can only list possibilities.

What is the program you are using to try and delete (or quarantine) it? (Quarantine is best.)

What is the full name of the file detected, and the path?

One possibility: The program you are using is not up to the job. If that is the case, it might be something more than a virus. Some types of malware need a fairly specific removal procedure, involving removal of files, maybe deleting on reboot, removal of registry keys, cleaning in safe using special tools etc.

More: It's a false positive; Windows rebuilds the required file when it's rebooted; it's encrypted in a restore point; etc.