Change Mode

Another way to disable UAC

Raptor

There's another way to disable UAC...

Click start...

then click on your picture at the top right of the menu...

on the right side of the page at the bottom is the "turn user account control on or off" option

just follow the directions and reboot

note: you must be the builder or have admin rights to make this change

Stayed off on my first install of Vista. On my second I cheated, used vlite and had UAC disabled before Vista was even installed. :P

I got rid of UAC permanently but not sure what I did. I think I logged off and started a new account run as administrator. I also gave the new account a password. When you install Vista you are not the administator.

of coarse you are..

No, actually you are not. You have some administrator privileges, however you are not THE Administrator. THE Administrator account is disabled in a default installation of Vista and must be enabled either via the Group Policy Editor (Business or Ultimate versions only) or through a run command that you can find by searching this forum for 'enable Administrator account' or something similar.

No, actually you are not. You have some administrator privileges, however you are not THE Administrator. THE Administrator account is disabled in a default installation of Vista and must be enabled either via the Group Policy Editor (Business or Ultimate versions only) or through a run command that you can find by searching this forum for 'enable Administrator account' or something similar.

You go to Start/Run and type in "cmd" without quotes and a dos box will pop up with a line C:\Users\Administrator> and you type in or copy and paste "Net user administrator activate:yes" without the quotes of course. Log out of the account you are in now and log into the new real administrator account. Give it a strong password.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

we disable uac because it asks for your permision to do absolutely everything. very annoying. if they made it less strangle hold on the pc, it'd be ok. or even limit it to just the network connections.

now just need a way of stoping windows from yelling at me all the time that uac is off, w/out disabling the security center

• 1 year later...

:adios: here is the fastest way to enable the admin acount...

when vista asks you to enter your password press Ctr+Alt+Del once... :cr@sh:

the admin login will appear...

:geezer: ps there is no password so just hit enter

• 2 weeks later...

we disable uac because it asks for your permision to do absolutely everything. very annoying. if they made it less strangle hold on the pc, it'd be ok. or even limit it to just the network connections.

now just need a way of stoping windows from yelling at me all the time that uac is off, w/out disabling the security center

Click on the shield that comes up in the sys tray after you reboot, and on the left side you can tell windows to never warn you for anything.

UAC is great.. for a novice user. For someone that knows how to avoid or how to clean up malware it's best left off. It's annoying, and you still can't play WoW with it on. lol

honestly, i like the idea of UAC but hate the implementation of it

like when i am watching tv on one screen, a UAC prompt comes up for something i am doing, and completely pauses my show and then i must resume it. If the screen didnt flash gray and stop my videos i wouldnt care as much.

still, there isnt much you cant do with the limited account created by vista, i have never had to use net user administrator active:yes to get anything done. Too many people use my computer to let a true admin account be active

never disable uac' it has features that prevent system infestation with the use of virtualization.

if you disable uac' vista won't be any better than xp !

as annoying it may be' it's not nearly as annoying trying to clean up rootkits

Its best left off if you know how to clean up malware? :blink::huh:

Sorry but that is a pretty sad way to go about system administration.

Except for the fact that you missed the first part of avoidance. ;)

Even with UAC on, users will blindly just say yes to get it to go away. Whats the point of it then? None. Is it a great tool, its excellent. Just not implemented correctly - windows 7 almost has it down. Im curious how the RC is.

Nothing is ever 100% secure. Knowing how to remove is the next step you see. :)

Edited by Maxst2

still, there isnt much you cant do with the limited account created by vista, i have never had to use net user administrator active:yes to get anything done. Too many people use my computer to let a true admin account be active

I agree... and I lock that account up with a complex password as well as shut off anything that could access it...

mmm nice.. I'll have to read more into that tonight.

BUT... Your average user won't understand 90% of what is in that article. Alot of that is high level skills with a computer and command line.

It also isn't just UAC it's a good part of how a computer can be used. Heck I still haven't discovered/use the many uses a computer can do/be used for.

The problem is transparency. UAC just isn't transparent, it conflicts in flow. Bruce has made the comment of, how often do you really go into Control Panel or any of the many other places that have the UAC protection. Which shouldn't be an issue for most people that are just on to do email, use office, or surf the web.

I think that linux distro's do this the best, super user is passworded and you can't do really much anything to the system unless you log on as the super user. Which from that article it looks as if they accomplish this via reg edits - Just skimmed over the article.

mmm nice.. I'll have to read more into that tonight.

BUT... Your average user won't understand 90% of what is in that article. Alot of that is high level skills with a computer and command line.

It also isn't just UAC it's a good part of how a computer can be used. Heck I still haven't discovered/use the many uses a computer can do/be used for.

The problem is transparency. UAC just isn't transparent, it conflicts in flow. Bruce has made the comment of, how often do you really go into Control Panel or any of the many other places that have the UAC protection. Which shouldn't be an issue for most people that are just on to do email, use office, or surf the web.

I think that linux distro's do this the best, super user is passworded and you can't do really much anything to the system unless you log on as the super user. Which from that article it looks as if they accomplish this via reg edits - Just skimmed over the article.

Two posts back you said UAC was only for novices and the experienced users are too good to need it :lol:

Again I will say, if you are spending the majority of your time doing things that require UAC to kick in, then you are doing things worng in the way you should be using your computer.

Once it is setup properly and the software you need installed, then other then updates there is no need to change things.