Sign in to follow this  
Signman

Dell hard drive swap

What kind of problems can I expect if I swap a hard drive from a Dell Dimension 2400 with XP Home into a Dell Dimension 8200 that has no hard drive. I was given the 8200 from work minus the hard drive.

What kind of problems can I expect if I swap a hard drive from a Dell Dimension 2400 with XP Home into a Dell Dimension 8200 that has no hard drive. I was given the 8200 from work minus the hard drive.

:geezer:

For a start?

The XP needs to be Reinstalled to suit the new Machine, no ifs or buts!

Save off all the Data you need from the HDD and reformat it and reinstall XP.

No Problems from there, as long as you Upgrade Windows after, then put back on your Data!

:sparkle::wub::sparkle:

As DD has suggested you'll need to reinstall XP once you've swapped the hard drive. The hardware configuration will be different which will necessitate the reinstall. Be sure to check your jumper. Did the 8200 have XP as well? (Product key sticker?) -kd5-

Yes, the 8200 had XP Pro..not home edition. Will I be able to use the "system restore" disk for the 2400 to reinstall XP if I put that drive in the 8200. My 2400 came with just a "restore" disk. I also have a restore disk for my 8400 that also has XP Home on it. Could I possibly use that disk instead of the 2400? I may end up having to buy a full install XP disk plus a hard drive......still worth it though for the money.

What you propose to do is a direct violation of the Microsoft End User License Agreement.

You may not move an OEM Windows Installation from one machine to another.

Sure hope they gave you the driver disk for 8200 as drivers are the major problem with installing the operating since it doesn't have motherboard drivers.

Before you spend money on that computer be aware it uses RDRAM and is VERY expensive.

Here is an idea on how expensive a gig of ram is almost $500

http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm?fuseac...;model_id=24927

I would keep the 2400 if I was you. Ram for that is cheap.

Edited by PORTHOS