Sign in to follow this  
burned-ati

AMD Phenom Quad Core CPU.. Good upgrade?

Ok been looking in to a AMD Phenom and, considering you can get them for close to $240 bucks now.. you guys think this would be logical upgrade or something like a 6400 conroe?

Ive got a AM2 X2 3800 ive never used.. im thinking i want to buy a motherboard.. but im thinking of just selling everything i got and going quad core.. what do you guys think?

$240 AMD quad-$270 Intgel quad. The intel quad is faster but I kinda like the phenom.

For sure hit the quad core. Whats your overall system budget

$240 AMD quad-$270 Intgel quad. The intel quad is faster but I kinda like the phenom.

For sure hit the quad core. Whats your overall system budget

$350 i already have 2Gigs of some DDR2 memory its only PC4200, but its 2gb itleast.. i was planning on getting much faster memory in the future. but considering ive been running this single core for so long.. the upgrade id be most excited about would be the CPU, not the memory so much.. installing 10GB games and surfing the web is actually a pain :cr@sh: and i already have one sataII 250GB HD i would proubly get another one in the future, to Raid them together..

$350 i already have 2Gigs of some DDR2 memory its only PC4200, but its 2gb itleast.. i was planning on getting much faster memory in the future. but considering ive been running this single core for so long.. the upgrade id be most excited about would be the CPU, not the memory so much.. installing 10GB games and surfing the web is actually a pain :cr@sh: and i already have one sataII 250GB HD i would proubly get another one in the future, to Raid them together..

I cant get newegg to work, but New memory is really gonna be needed. The prices are low to. What I get is the Geil 2GB DDR2 800 kit for $54 with an extra $15 rebate

Then get the Phenom CPU that runs around $240, then You need an AM2 mobo. If you wana shell out an extra $30, you can geta crossfire capable board. So pop in your AATI 1800, then in a bit, put in an AMD 3850 or 3870 ($150 or $200) then a little later on pop in another and the price will probably be dropped also.

I just fear RAM incompatibilty issues. Thats Why I say get new ones

I cant get newegg to work, but New memory is really gonna be needed. The prices are low to. What I get is the Geil 2GB DDR2 800 kit for $54 with an extra $15 rebate

Then get the Phenom CPU that runs around $240, then You need an AM2 mobo. If you wana shell out an extra $30, you can geta crossfire capable board. So pop in your AATI 1800, then in a bit, put in an AMD 3850 or 3870 ($150 or $200) then a little later on pop in another and the price will probably be dropped also.

I just fear RAM incompatibilty issues. Thats Why I say get new ones

thats amazing! DDR2 is that cheap now.. i really had no idea!... since the 3850,and 3870 run on PCI express 2.0 am i going to see a point in getting a AM2+ board that supports this pci 2.0... i belive its so they can run both cards at 16X instead of 8X each right?

Yeah, ram has really dropped price.

DDR3 is starting to become more popular.

It was just 3 months ago i couldn't get 2 gigs for less that 80-90$.

Old technology is getting cheaper.

My computer that costed 950 dollars three months ago, and now the same hardware is like 700 dollars.. I really love all this competetion, because we are the ones who win.

Why are you going to put in a quad core processor as opposed to a dual core?

Do you do a lot of video/music encoding?

Go with intel... you'd need the 2.6ghz phenom to be able to hang with the Q6600 (2.4ghz)

He needs the price/ performance. If he went with the Intel, He is screwed on the RAM and wont have any.

PCI 2.0 is backwards compatible to regular. Only thing that changed was bandwith, but there is no real evidince of an increase. As of right now its just a future ready product.

PCI 3.0 will probably hit us faster with more improvement. I expect to see it out by the end of next year at least. we will see though

RAM, Phenom, And mobo will put you $400 and below, hopefully. Then next add your AMD 3800 series card, and you should be happy!

I dont think you need AM2+, most regular ones work for now.

Well i do make alot of ISO formatts, and i like to use windows movie maker, and download torrents, and i play games as well. i would like to do every thing at once get it done alot quicker. when im converting a windows movie i made to 720P it takes about 30-40 minutes and my single core, is tapped out. and well id like to have games minimized while surfing the net.. and easily be able to shuffle through these apps with no hitching. as i can see this phenom quad core being a very logical upgrade. maybe its only 2.2 Ghz.. although you must consider im using a FX55 performance right now.. with only half the L2 cache size.. so its still not FX55 performance. considering i would be overclocking the phenom as well, this upgrade would be a giant leap IMO.. im not shooting for the best here guys. im going for something thats quad core and cheap. plus i have a crap load of computer parts to sell. so i would see half of my money come back to me.

Travis

Well i do make alot of ISO formatts, and i like to use windows movie maker, and download torrents, and i play games as well. i would like to do every thing at once get it done alot quicker. when im converting a windows movie i made to 720P it takes about 30-40 minutes and my single core, is tapped out. and well id like to have games minimized while surfing the net.. and easily be able to shuffle through these apps with no hitching. as i can see this phenom quad core being a very logical upgrade. maybe its only 2.2 Ghz.. although you must consider im using a FX55 performance right now.. with only half the L2 cache size.. so its still not FX55 performance. considering i would be overclocking the phenom as well, this upgrade would be a giant leap IMO.. im not shooting for the best here guys. im going for something thats quad core and cheap. plus i have a crap load of computer parts to sell. so i would see half of my money come back to me.

Travis

Well, My Q6600 recodes an entire DVD in under 15 minutes. But what you might want to look into is the Intel E6750. At $200, you can get this and maybe the AMD 3850 atleast. Its a way better overclocker then AMD, AMD is mainly a stock performer. Intel has those high clocks. Get a little better cooling for an extra $30 and you can hit 3.6ghz with a decent mobo.

Try this setup.

E6750 or E6550 the E6550 isnt bad either, at a cheaper $20, you can get the better cooling and clock it higher.

MOBO $88 after rebate and two PCI slots for crossfire in the future.

RAM $40 with a rebate.

AMD 3850 Price was suppose to drop $20.

thats around $460 with the video card. But the reason I give you video card coices is becuase I saw your thread and dont know if your old card is dead yet.

Ehh, its hard to choose. where is more input??

He needs the price/ performance. If he went with the Intel, He is screwed on the RAM and wont have any.

PCI 2.0 is backwards compatible to regular. Only thing that changed was bandwith, but there is no real evidince of an increase. As of right now its just a future ready product.

PCI 3.0 will probably hit us faster with more improvement. I expect to see it out by the end of next year at least. we will see though

RAM, Phenom, And mobo will put you $400 and below, hopefully. Then next add your AMD 3800 series card, and you should be happy!

I dont think you need AM2+, most regular ones work for now.

Cheapest Phenom on newegg

2.2Ghz... $246

2.4Ghz Q6600 = $280

ram isn't gonna be available @ 34 bucks if you ask me.

Phenom OC... 2.8Ghz - 3ghz with luck

Q6600 oc... 3.4Ghz easy

You are still better off with the Intel right now. If you can wait one or two months, things might

clear up. If you read the internet forum threads, there is still a lot of stability problems with the

new Phenoms on a lot of MBs.

By then the new AMDs and Intels should be out, things will be clearer, and the battle lines

drawn in thick lines.

I have heard through the grape vine, that Intel is ready to take Nvidia on. If they do so, they

might actually help AMD. Either that or Nvidia is going to have to allow SLI on intel boards.

Don't know to much yet, but I have heard about it. SLI would be a great boost to Intel and

Nvidia, but hurt Nvidia in the chip market, but still would really hurt AMD.

Should become clearer by the end of Jan.

You know what is pretty funny, Intel chipsets are stuck with AMD's Crossfire. So, in a way, AMD and Intel are working together.

Tell me how this is working?

The only thing not permiting sli in the intel chipset is the drivers. Nvidia has locked the drivers so people have to buy the 680i chipset to run SLI with the Conroes.

The only thing not permiting sli in the intel chipset is the drivers. Nvidia has locked the drivers so people have to buy the 680i chipset to run SLI with the Conroes.

So if you find a way to "unlock the drivers" you can have sli on the P35 board???

So if you find a way to "unlock the drivers" you can have sli on the P35 board???

Yes... Beast has unlocked drivers to run SLI 7900's on the intel chipset.

You know what is pretty funny, Intel chipsets are stuck with AMD's Crossfire. So, in a way, AMD and Intel are working together.

Tell me how this is working?

with the majority of high end systems running intel CPU's

its the only way AMD will sell any video cards right now ...... if they lock out intel from the Xfire whats the point in getting an ATI/AMD video card other than price

most of us in here have used Intel chipsets and Nvidia Chipsets ....... and the intel chipsets are hands down more stable ....... IMO

i think if and when intel releases their version of SLI .... nvidia will be left scrambling

Ok well i just picked through every review on the Q6600 and i think in going with it! although i dont want a crossfire board.. i really dont think i want to use a ATI video card either. ive been looking at newegg phenom customer reviews and most of them cannot get there system to work properly as you guys said, and some people running the 3850 or 3870 are having to use old drivers.. i dont think i would have these problems if i just used a 8800GT :mrgreen: ive never owned a intel cpu before, and i belive the time is now to get one.. any body wany to help canabilize my current system PM if you want to buy anything off this one. i also have a AM2 x2 3800 as well.

But what is a cheap SLI board that i could use for this Q6600?

Yep, the MSI P6N SLI board is like $105 and it has sli. I like that board. You can even overclock also

No way in hell should you go 680 board.... 2x3870s are:

Better performers than 8800GTs

Cheaper

Use Less power

You get to use intel chipset.

No way in hell should you go 680 board.... 2x3870s are:

Better performers than 8800GTs

Cheaper

Use Less power

You get to use intel chipset.

I hear when you turn up AA and AF the 3870's fall on their knees.

But on the other hand it's the most efficent CF/SLI ever seen before.

Edited by porksandwich9113

I think my next computer is going to be ATI/Intel, rather then Nvidia/AMD.

If ATI keeps producing their new CF series where you can get both card for 350 dollars, they have my business.

Edited by porksandwich9113