Change Mode

I am comparing this sucker to my Old AMD 3800 X2

I got Pirates 3 for DVD and making my PERSONAL BACKUP and putting it on my phone. :P So encoding will tear up my system. or I thought it would.

Tested with my Nero Recode on Nero 8.

I clocked my Q6600 to 3.7ghz since It is my real every day use clock. To do a full Recode, it took only 14 minutes. My old AMD was hitting 45 minutes plus. Huge difference. And the cool part was that I am playing COD4 during this whole recode, When on my old AMD I cant even access the Internet with slowdowns. Temps under 35c, and on AMD with Zalman 9500 lapped and CPU clocked at 2.33, it was hitting shut down temps.

I say this CPU is worth it for any one in the media type area. Benchmarking is great to.

Just wanted to share my thoughts!!! :clap:

Not sure what you've been smoking, but a the Q6600 is going to use quite a bit more power, and run hotter than any dual core (except for maybe the Pentium 4 based dual cores).

As for the performance, I must say it is impressive. I intend on upgrading to Quad core soon, at least when I have enough money left over from my various builds. That Phenom looks very tempting.

Edited by brandon

I seriously think i am that 1 in 100000000000000000 that has a defected CPU.

my AMD on the stock fan in winter wouldnt even do recode without shutting off. Clean application of :filtered:, seated right and everything. Thats how I found the pit, wondering why in the world does it run so freaking hot!! I gave up on it.

I just recoded to the phone from the DVD file and it took 4 mins.

Brandon, quad core is alot of fun. The phenom is very tempting. But since you have that mobo and you can re-use all your parts, just throw in a Q6600

I will sell you mine so I can get the 45nm chips. :)

The Phenom will work better for me than Intel's Quad core processors. Some of the work I do requires massive memory bandwidth, and it's got every single one of Intel's Quad core offerings beat by at least 1GB/sec in terms of bandwidth.

Edited by brandon

The Phenom will work better for me than Intel's Quad core processors. Some of the work I do requires massive memory bandwidth, and it's got every single one of Intel's Quad core offerings beat by at least 1GB/sec in terms of bandwidth.

What DO you do?? The intel is still going to be better you know.

kido,

thanks for the comparison. I use my system mainly for encoding movies ( AMD X2 3800 @ 2.8) and I've really been tempted by the q6600. I'll probably hold off seeing how this $80 chip is has alot of fight left in her.

kido,

thanks for the comparison. I use my system mainly for encoding movies ( AMD X2 3800 @ 2.8) and I've really been tempted by the q6600. I'll probably hold off seeing how this $80 chip is has alot of fight left in her.

Trust me, if you do what I do and need those times cut in half and the multi tasking increased at the same time, the Q6600 is the best bet

ya, i have my 3600x2 running 2.65 and it takes about 30 minutes for my encoding, no heat issues and I can multi-task.

*shrugz*

sucks that i have to set all my old games to single core affinity everytime i load them though, LOL

Edited by wdeydwondrer

ya, i have my 3600x2 running 2.65 and it takes about 30 minutes for my encoding, no heat issues and I can multi-task.

*shrugz*

sucks that i have to set all my old games to single core affinity everytime i load them though, LOL

Yea i remeber agent smith had to do this with his opteron dual core. but do you have to with a Q6600?

One thing is strange though, The mhz really makes a difference. once you hit 4 ghz, the CPU reaches incredible encoding speed.

I was doing Nero Recode to HDTV setting (11gb file) and the CPU at 4.096 and the Ram running at 1142 and the time was 30 minutes and temps no where past 50c. But for some reason nero shut donn due to an error. :(

Now Im at 3.8ghz and doing the same thing, time remaining is 36 minutes. 200mhz dropps time alot. At this speed i dont pass 35c.

I have a question, should I lap my Q6600? Or do i need not worry about my thermal temps? Also, how do I know if the Chipset is getting to hot? Will it?