Change Mode

i been trying to install vista for past 2 days but everytime i try it will install and then restart the computer and once it restarts it gose to the vista background and just freeze (i dont think it is fully installed) i will try doing this in windows or when i boot my computer to install and both ways i get these problems any one know of a problem??

I believe the problem is the fact you want to install Vista :P

Are you wanting to perform a clean install (erases all data, then installs Vista - the safest options, or an upgrade - upgrades your current XP to Vista)?

Insert Vista DVD into your drive, then go into your BIOS and set your computer to boot from CD/DVD. Alternatively, if you see a "Press F12 or F10 to select boto menu" message during your boot, you can simply press F10/F12 (whichever it is on your screen) to have your computer boot from the CD/DVD drive. Either way works, the 2nd way is usually the easiest way.

yea that is what i tryed ( reboot my computer and after a few mins the screen that says press any key to boot from Cd and i do and when it gets to the vista install screen where it shows all the pretty colors the install wont come up ( like the box to click next) all it shows is the pretty colors and it will just sit there

Have you ran the Vista upgrade adviser? Vista can freeze due to hardware problems that you won't see with XP.

Could be your ram, could be a setting with your MB.

Here's a suggestion to Disable int he BIOS EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology)

You can also disconnect all USB devices, try it, or disable USB in the BIOS, and try again. Vista also stalls with certain graphic cards as well, it is found that if you replace your video card with another one, and try to install Vista, it seems to work. People have also been able to get it to work by rolling back their BIOS to a previous version (something I wouldn't suggest).

Sounds like a great OS huh? Are you sure that you want to install this?

If you haven't activated Vista yet (or if you have and you are within 90 days of activation), and you have a retail version, then you have 90 days of FREE phone support with someone from MS who can barely be understood, the number is: (866) 234-6020

Edited by Jibby

well this is the upgrade edation of vista and i installed it before when i had my old Mobo and old Ram and now i upgraded to my new Mobo and new ram and installed windows XP last time i installed vista it installed great but like i said it would get to the compleation screen and when it is time to rebot it will be stuck on a screen with pretty colors and stay there and wont boot

I am getting out of the vista circus.

I have had nothing but problems with it in the past month.

It has been deactivating every other day. Call MS they have me do different things I have reinstalled it 3 times now(full clean install) it works for a few days and then bamm it falls apart.

I asked for my money back.

it says i can run vista ultamate lol ( says no problems and my computer is ready for upgrade to vista) well when i did have it installed on my old Mobo i loved it (ran most of my games better and to me it run faster on my computer)

Edited by Lusafis

if i read this correctly you are trying to do a clean install with an upgrade version of Vista

that may be your problem ... i know it can be done but there is a special way to do it ..... not sure how tho

may be best to install XP as previously mentioned and upgrade to vista from there

The way I read to do the install with the Upgrade version is to not enter the key, Which will install Vista, then you can "upgrade from that.

Bingo. That and an "upgrade" install is not a true upgrade install. When you do an upgrade install Vista takes the previously installed OS (and everything else on C:\) and sticks it in a folder called windows.old. Other than that folder (which can be deleted) there is nothing left of the previous install.

I have a feeling the problems that are occurring are more a hardware problem than really a Vista problem. Also according to your sig you have a new system coming soon, why not wait until you have it to install Vista?

with my old Mobo all i did was throw the disk in booted up my comp and it came up saying boot from CD did that and did my install and everything worked but this time it wont show the install screen that is the only problem and im doing the same way that i did last time

when I did my vista upgrade I just threw the cd in with windows running and the whole windows install screen came up. Didn't have to go into bios for anything.

I would just install xp first and then run the upgrade cd. They might have just been tossing dirt in my eye but microsoft said that you couldn't install vista using an upgrade without a previous windows already installed.

They might have just been tossing dirt in my eye but microsoft said that you couldn't install vista using an upgrade without a previous windows already installed.

Correct. The one thing they didn't mention is that it can be Vista that is the previously installed OS. ;)

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvi...grade_clean.asp

i dont get it vista worked ok before i had my old Mobo.... i mean been trying to do what i did last time i installed vista (i had windows XP proff on my old mchine and on this one i got the same XP proff) so.... i mean i get to the point where it installs and i enter my product key and all that junk but when it is done installing... it gose to the screen i been talking about and just sits there that is it =( no safe mode or anything

ok it says my code is allready in use when i try to activevate my key is there a way to make this work? i used it when i installed it on my old Mobo .. plz tell me i dont have to spend another 150$ on a another disk...

Edited by Lusafis

ok just did that and activeded it but one problem everytime i start my computer my DVD drives will be read but after 5 mins when i go to my computer the DVD drives will be gone and will not read my CD/DVDs anymore and they wont even come up in device manger

idont get this now lol vista is running SO SO slow now and when i put in a CD or a DVD it will lock my computer up and it wont run anything?? uhhh i dont get it lol and it still every 5 mins will detect my CD and dvd drives and then they will go away

here is a pit test http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=8JG1SW06DKVS8RQV

Edited by Lusafis