Sign in to follow this  
Ispbear

AGP video cards

Hey everyone,

I'm looking into upgrading my current 9800pro video card. It will play COD4 but it's starting to get a little out of date. Just checking on opionions about what the best AGP card is out there. It seems like the options are becoming less and less since PCI-E became the new standard. I would prefer to stay with an ATI product so I don't have issues with drivers but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

PS. No, I don't want to upgrade my motherboard in case you were wondering. ;)

1950XT. and 7900.

I'll give you a link to a few cards in a sec.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814161071

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....=GeForce+7900GS

I'd check some other sites like tigerdirect.com and such to find cheaper and bigger selections of AGP cards.

Edited by porksandwich9113

1950XT. and 7900.

I'll give you a link to a few cards in a sec.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814161071

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....=GeForce+7900GS

I'd check some other sites like tigerdirect.com and such to find cheaper and bigger selections of AGP cards.

Thanks for the reply,

Is the lack of support for Directx10 seen as a problem for the future on some of these AGP cards? I haven't been gaming in over a year but COD4 has resparked my attention. I just want to make sure that I get something that will last another 3 or 4 years. By that time I will have to upgrade my whole system and this one will probably get turned into a HTPC.

Directx10 is never coming to high end AGP to be honest.

You should beable to live with a 7900 or 1950 for another 6 months to 2 years, depending on what games you play. Obviously is you try to play crysis and these new system busting games, you won't have a chance.

If you want DX10..You can grab a X2600XT which has DX10 support under vista, but the problem is a 1950Pro outperforms anything under the 2900XT.

I play COD4, medium-high settings with no problem at all, and I run a 7900GS.

It's all your choice.

Honestly, right now is the time to upgrade to PCIe.

You can grab a decent motherboard for under 100 dollars, and then a 8800GT then you will be set for a long time.

ya the x1900 series are pretty powerfull cards.

i play crysis on my 1st system in my sig that has the x1900gt pcie and i have everything on mem and get decent playable frames:)

heck even i just got done playing a alittle of crysis on my laptop in my sig that has a 7800gtx and it was playable:)

but ya there might be still a chance for the 8800 and 2900 for agp never know lol.

i was useing agp 2nd system in my sig and planed on keep useing it till i saw the deal i got on this setup and couldint pass it up lol.

best bet right now be the x1950pro and the 7900 which still going strong if you still want to hold on to agp

Edited by gordesky1

I would say upgrade of MB time. If you read the forums right now, there are

a lot of problems with the drivers for AGP cards trying to run newer games.

I still have a 9600XT I play BF2 with now and then. There are really no new drivers

past 6.04 (I think thats it) for the AGP cards that seem to work real good. I know

that the latest ones seem to have a lot of problems.

Check the prices of the PCIe cards. A little cheaper usually. And then the prices of

some PCIe MBs. You could pick up a starter MB for around 60.00 easy.

So for around 275.00 you could get a 3850 and MB.

I would say upgrade of MB time. If you read the forums right now, there are

a lot of problems with the drivers for AGP cards trying to run newer games.

I still have a 9600XT I play BF2 with now and then. There are really no new drivers

past 6.04 (I think thats it) for the AGP cards that seem to work real good. I know

that the latest ones seem to have a lot of problems.

Check the prices of the PCIe cards. A little cheaper usually. And then the prices of

some PCIe MBs. You could pick up a starter MB for around 60.00 easy.

So for around 275.00 you could get a 3850 and MB.

Don't forget the memory, which adds an addition $40-50. And new hard drives or CD burners, if the motherboard doesn't have enough IDE ports, which incurs an addition $30-$60.

Not worth it.

You can build an entire new system for slightly more than that.

New Motherboard, New Ram, New Video Card.

Save HD's, CD Drives, you can grab motherboards with two IDE ports, and if not, a simple PCI card can be bought for 10 bucks. Unless transfer time is a issue, it's much cheaper than a 45 dollar hard drive.

Same case, same PSU.

Definatly not nearly the price of a new system. Especcially if he trying to build a gaming system.

New Motherboard, New Ram, New Video Card.

Save HD's, CD Drives, you can grab motherboards with two IDE ports, and if not, a simple PCI card can be bought for 10 bucks. Unless transfer time is a issue, it's much cheaper than a 45 dollar hard drive.

Same case, same PSU.

Definatly not nearly the price of a new system. Especcially if he trying to build a gaming system.

Even so, it will still be over $300, should the OP even go with that option, which is not going to happen if you read the post. And show me a motherboard with a modern chipset that has two IDE ports? The 965 only has one, as do the P35, X38, 680i, 650i, and pretty much every motherboard made since 2006. Don't mention Via, since they usually use outdated north & southbridges on their motherboards. And a cheap IDE card would not be advisable, since I have heard horror stories about trivial things such as data corruption, data loss, crashing, instability, you know, trivial stuff.

Or, the OP can stick with the same system, buy an X1950 for about $130, and worry about upgrading later, as prices continue to fall. ;)

Edited by brandon

Thats why I didn't want to upgrade anything other than the video card. I have an AMD 3400+ that is on the 754 socket. So If I get a new motherboard, I'll have to get a new processor. Then I will want to upgrade my XMS 3200 ram to something better. As you all know it will go downhill from there, a new DVD burner with lightscribe, nice soundcard, and then the wife is yelling at you for spending so much money.

I just need something to get me by for awhile.

Thats why I didn't want to upgrade anything other than the video card. I have an AMD 3400+ that is on the 754 socket. So If I get a new motherboard, I'll have to get a new processor. Then I will want to upgrade my XMS 3200 ram to something better. As you all know it will go downhill from there, a new DVD burner with lightscribe, nice soundcard, and then the wife is yelling at you for spending so much money.

I just need something to get me by for awhile.

There are Socket 754 boards with PCIe.

Just get that 1950. You'll live for a bit.

It won't be long before most new games are going to require dual-core systems though.

i would recommend upgrading to a new motherboard. spending a new video card, ram and cpu upgrades for an older socket is just almost the same as buying a new cpu+mobo+ram, and it will end up cheaper