*SOLVED* Cant boot from CD, cant boot into windows

This is a really interesting problem that I have already spent a couple hours troubleshooting.

Computer:

- 6600GT video card

- MSI K8N Neo4-F

- AMD x2 3800

- 2 x 512mb Corsair ValueSelect

- Antec 350 watt (Smart Power I believe)

- Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 series

Replaced the motherboard and CPU, booted up the computer, installed Kaspersky (I believe the install happened while Norton was still on the system). The computer froze about halfway through the installation of Kaspersky, and then the power button was held down to completely power it off.

When it booted back up, the XP loading screen (the blue bar), kept going as if it was trying to load. After waiting roughly 6 minutes, the computer restarts.

When trying to boot into safe mode, it loads the drivers, and then restarts, without getting past the screen with the list of the drivers that were loaded.

I figured the MBR could have been causing XP to not get past the loading screen, so I put in an XP cd in order to run fixmbr.

When the computer tries to boot from the cd, it displays the usual (where the _ is flashing):

Boot from CD: _

After that happens, it tries to boot into windows again, that is located on the hard drive. Meaning, it doesn't boot to the CD at all.

Then I replaced the CD Rom and IDE cable, tried again, same result.

The I replaced the ram and PSU (with a BFG 650 watt, hoping that somehow the current 350 watt was just not pushing out enough). Same result.

Then I put in a new hard drive as if I was trying to install XP onto the hard drive, and received the following:

Boot from CD: _

Disk boot failure, Insert system disk and press enter

This means, that the XP cd is not able to be ran, and thus the system sees a blank hard drive, and is unable to boot.

I've also tried Hiren's Boot CD, and UBCD - so the CD isn't the issue.

-------------------------------

I literally just put in the new motherboard, had the computer freeze up after trying to install Kaspersky, restarted, and now have this situation. Replacing the motherboard is a huge pain that I don't want to deal with again.

What else could I try here? My friend brought the computer to a local shop, they said the issue was with the hard drive, and that the computer would be up and running for $360 (includes installation of my XP cd, new 250gb sata hard drive, and data from old hard drive put onto the new hard drive). I've pretty much ruled out the hard drive as the issue, so I am somewhat tempted to just let the computer shop try to "fix" the hard drive issue.

Edited by Jibby

Install major hardware components without a fresh install of XP is a major :nono:

Install a new copy of windiows, and lets see how it goes.

Each installation of windows is fit for that specific set of hard-ware.

A hard drive change,video card, and ram isn't gunna do much.

But if you replace the two backbone pieces of your computer, you have a problem.

It's trying to run the wrong drivers for this new hardware and the operating system is probably going "what the :filtered: is happening"

Edited by porksandwich9113

The replaced motherboard and CPU were the exact same model of the ones that were in the computer before. Only possible thing that has changed is a new mac addy for the new MB.

Install a new copy of windiows, and lets see how it goes.

- I can't boot from the windows CD as per my OP.... Edited by Jibby

The replaced motherboard and CPU were the exact same model of the ones that were in the computer before. Only possible thing that has changed is a new mac addy for the new MB.

That may be the problem then. Try clearing CMOS then reboot and check the Bios.

Is there a scratch or anything of that sort on your XP disk?

- No scratches, XP CD works in other drives, also, I tried other boot tools, such as Back Track, Herin's Boot CD, and UBCD.

Try clearing CMOS then reboot and check the Bios.

- I'll give that a try.

if you cannot boot and feel all your options have been used.

you can wipe your harddrive completely using boot and nuke

download it from another computer and burn(copy it to cd-rom)....then put in the computer that wont boot-up

it will detect the harddrive

follow instructions and it will erase your harddrive

once its erased

put your windows cd and reformat it

you will lose all your data(files)

this options is up to you

heres boot and nuke

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Edited by mme

Mate I'm having the same problem... I've been doing installs for ages and have never had this problem before. Its heaps frustrating because it almost seems it shouldn't be happening.. When you set your bios to boot from a cd and you have a bootable cd in the drive, it should work. Everything shows up in the bios and I've tried different drives.. Same error..

Boot from CD:

DISK BOOT FAILURE, ........

is your bios up to date

when you turn on computer

does it see your cd-rom

and your harddrive

- Bios is up to date. Computer sees both the hard drive, and the CD-Rom drive.

Better try another CD/DVD drive if it won't boot from that one, or try a "cleaner" in it to make sure the optical "eye" is clean.

- I've tried another CD drive/cable, however, the drive I tried was old kind of old. I could try changing out the drive/cable with a new one, hoping that it might work. I've already tried another IDE channel.

I have another computer that I could format the hard drive on - that's not the problem. Once the drive is formatted, I won't be able to install XP, because it will come up with the disk boot failure message.

Edited by Jibby

I decided the only other thing it could be was the MB, but before RMAing the motherboard again, I wanted to reverify everything.

So I checked the ram, psu, and then cd drive. Turns out the new CD drive worked great, and that the issue was with the current cd drive, as well as the cd drive I tested previously.

Ruling out hardware requires the testing hardware to be in working order :hammer:

When you replaced the motherboard, was it an exact model/brand of the board that was in it before? did you do a clean install if it was a different board than the one you had?