Sign in to follow this  
bg1256

Mcupdate.exe is hogging my resources!

Hello, all.

I purchased a new computer a few weeks back, and it came with McAfee preinstalled. So, I went ahead and removed it, and all seemed fine.

However, yesterday, I noticed my processor spiking for several minutes, opened up the task manager, and I saw a program named mcupdate.exe at the top of the list.

I did a little googling and discovered it is a product of McAfee still remaining and executing on my system. I found a McAfee removal tool, ran it, and rebooted. But, it is still here eating up my processing power.

Has anyone had experiences with McAfee that might help me get rid of this completely?

Thanks!

You can reboot to safe mode, search the computer for all instances of "mcupdate.exe" then delete them. Reboot and it should be gone.

Should have mentioned I'm using Vista Home Premium... not sure where Safe Mode is here.

edit: after a search of my entire system, mcupdate.exe does not appear at all...

Edited by bg1256

Safe mode in Vista should be the same as XP.........as computer is beginning to boot up, start tapping the F8 key....at the screen select Safe mode....should get you there.

Make sure folder view is set to show hidden files before you search.....

Edited by Signman

I've done some searching since I replied to this and have found out that file may be a protected file in Vista. Vista uses what is called WRP (Windows Resource Protection) which may not let you delete the file. There are ways around this but you might wait around for someone that is more familiar with Vists and how to do this sort of thing. I wouldn't want to steer you in the wrong direction since I don't use Vista....yet. Sorry... :unsure:

Here's another removal tool, if you goole it you'll find a lot of links about this, seems to be a common issue with a lot of folks

http://www.myfixes.com/articles/mcrem2

You may find that this process is nothing to do with McAffee, I found a similar process running and tracked it down to be a process spawned by Windows Media Centre: 'Windows Media Center Store Update Manager'

Here's another removal tool, if you goole it you'll find a lot of links about this, seems to be a common issue with a lot of folks

http://www.myfixes.com/articles/mcrem2

This article explicitly mentions that it only works for XP... and I'm using Vista.

And I don't think it's related to Windows Media, as I've googled mcupdate.exe and it seems specifically related to McAfee...

This article explicitly mentions that it only works for XP... and I'm using Vista.

And I don't think it's related to Windows Media, as I've googled mcupdate.exe and it seems specifically related to McAfee...

But you have already removed McAfee. Do a file search for mcupdate.exe on your PC right click on the files that appear and check the properties, it should tell you the origin of the file hopefully.

I am running Vista Home Premium 64 bit and the file is part of the operating system. I found two instances of it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don't see this process running on my computer so I guess the question is why is it running on yours.

I am running Vista Home Premium 64 bit and the file is part of the operating system. I found two instances of it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don't see this process running on my computer so I guess the question is why is it running on yours.

I don't know if it's related but under Services all things related to Windows Media Center are either disabled or on manual.

Posted Image

Sorry, big picture. You have to wait for it to load.

Edited by mel8again

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think they only start running once you have set up Windows Media Centre for downloading TV guides etc

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow, thanks for posting these... It doesn't run all the time, only about once or twice a day. But, I guess there's no real way to remove it.

Wow, thanks for posting these... It doesn't run all the time, only about once or twice a day. But, I guess there's no real way to remove it.

Don't remove it. Turn it off. Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services and double click on all the ones that say Windows Media Center whatever/Start up type and change them to manual and if they are running at present you can click on the stop button below. Ckick Apply, ok and move on to the next one.