Change Mode

did you try resetting defaults in the bios

is cd-rom and harddrive boot disabled

in the bios

i use linsky on 4 different computers 3 are wireless ones connected directly ...

I tried disabling everything (don't ask why, i wanted to see if anything would happen). So the screen kinda flipped & i shut it off. The next time i tried disabling everything except the HDD, & i get 3F.

It doesn't matter which device i leave active, the Network Adapter or my HDD, i still get the same thing.

EDIT: The reason i was thinking it was the router is because they're two different computers with two different OS's, & the only common thing is that they are both connected.

Edited by Leonidas117

do you see this in your bios

this should be DEVICES..down arrow to network setup

System Board Ethernet [enabled]

PXE Agent [enabled

Pxe basecode [enabled]

if you do can you disable it all

then press F10 save and exit

this is from IBM bios

do you see this in your bios

this should be DEVICES..down arrow to network setup

System Board Ethernet [enabled]

PXE Agent [enabled

Pxe basecode [enabled]

if you do can you disable it all

then press F10 save and exit

this is from IBM bios

Question

Is this a new router....or did it belong to someone else

If it did just wondering if it was registered to someone else

The only thing related to LAN/Network is the "Network Adapter" Option under Boot Options. Nothing changes when i disable it :-\.

EDIT: If i were to post exactly what i see when i start my BIOS, would it be any help? Would you be able to see any possible changes that can be made?

Edited by Leonidas117

PheonixBIOS Setup Utility

MAIN

System Time

System Date

Notebook Model

System Board ID

Processor Type

Processor Speed

System Memory

BIOS Version

KBC Version

Serial Number

UUID Number

SECURITY

Administrator Password

Power-On Password

Primary DriveLock Password

Device Security

>Floppy Boot

>CD-ROM Boot

ADVANCED

Video Graphic Mode

Dedicated Video Memory

Total Video Memory

Language Support

Boot Order

>Floppy Diskette Drive

>ATAPI CD-ROM Drive

>Hard Drive

>Network Adapter

Accessibility Options

>F10 Delay(sec)

Embedded Wireless LAN device

TOOLS

Primary HDD Self-test

>Execute SHORT Test

>>Estimated test time

>Execute LONG Test

>>Estimated test time

>Test Status

EXIT

Exit Saving Changes

Exit Discarding Changes

Load Setup Defaults

Obviously there are values there, i just didn't know if you'd need them or not, if you do, let me know & i'll fill them in.

Edited by Leonidas117

Embedded Wireless LAN device

can that be disabled

worth a try

also when you took your cmos battery out did you remove your battery from laptop

and did you hold power button down to let it drain...remove any static

im not sure what more can be done

some else might have other ideas

Yeah i tried both; One disabling the Embedded Wireless & it still wanted a network cable, & also removed the battery & held down the power button.

Do you think this is a problem with the BIOS or operating system? At this point i guess i'd be willing to reformat if it would help but if i can't even start the OS... I also don't even have a Windows XP Pro disc. It's the operating system on my laptop & all i have is the product key. Gotta love how companies are saving money by not providing a :filtered:' OS disc...

EDIT: I also just realized, i was trying to find out my Network Keys to get onto the router from another computer -- when i was looking through my drive to find 'My Documents' (while using one of Linux's LiveCD's) i didn't see any files at all. I know it sounds stupid, but i thought maybe the LiveCD won't access files on the HDD while being run. Could it be that i had some virus that wiped the drive (for the most part) & the only alternative is a network boot?

Edited by Leonidas117

Okay.... so i was able to get my hands on a Windows XP Professional disc after finding my License Key on the bottom of my laptop. When i start it up i get the message: "Press any key to boot from CD." If i hit "any button" the screen sits there with that blinking underscore. If i hit nothing, the periods will blink for a few seconds, then a second one appears & blinks, then a third & so on. Then right at the end of that i get the whole 3F thing again.

I mean can i even make a disc that would change my BIOS (assumming that's the problem)?

Couple questions, and not sure anything will help. Just guesswork. Does the laptop have a floppy? Since you were ready to reformat, I'm guessing there is nothing you want to save?

I'm not sure if there is an option to create a boot cd (didn't go through everything, which is why I asked about a floppy) but you could do a low level format which should wipe out whatever is goobered up on your system. That should allow you to load windows again.

To do the low level format, use this utility if you have a floppy or can load it to cd.

http://www.killdisk.com/

No, the laptop doesn't have a floppy, but i bit the bullet & installed Ubuntu onto it. Now it boots fine, no more 3F crap, but i'm in such a better mood than before that i don't want to retry Windows on it & see it fail. Having trouble setting up the network at the moment, but i'm sure i can fix it. As for my desktop, i have <b>NO</b> clue whats going on there. After i started having trouble on it i just tried a reinstall of PC Linux 2007, but it said something about restarting, & when i did it, it was starting fresh, no option to install the operating system.

I'm not going to need my computer for school until the end of January so i may just stick to Ubuntu until then. Thanks for everyone's help -- i guess it did have something to do with the OS if a fresh install fixed it.

Just wanted to ask to questions for anyone running Ubuntu (or it's "sisters"): Am i doing something wrong when i try to set up the wireless network? I tried clicking the icon, filled in the SSID, WEP Key & everything, but then it won't connect. Just trouble on my end?

The second question is: Is there a more media-friendly Linux-Ubuntu Version? I know there are others like Kubuntu, ect. Most of what i use my computer for is Music, TV, Videos & the like, & wondered if Linux had like a "Windows Media Center"-ish OS?