Change Mode

** How's this look for a system over-haul? **

I think the wifey is probably gonna ask me what I'd like for Christmas this year. So, naturally, I'd like to be ready with an answer. :mrgreen: . . .

The budget will probably be about $500. Here's what I'm thinking for an upgrade . . .

Motherboard: EVGA 122-CK-NF67-T1 nForce 680i LT SLI

-- I was originally considering the ASUS Striker but I read a lot of bad reviews from different websites as well as average users. The EVGA seems to be one of the best overclocking boards from what I hear.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

-- This seems to be the best "bang for the buck" in CPUs.

Heatsin/fan: MASSCOOL 92mm Ball CPU Cooler

-- The retail CPU that comes with a stock heatsink/fan is about $20 more than the OEM chip. So I figured I might as well get the OEM and choose a nice, big heatsink/fan myself. (I'll probably put the CPU under a TEC when I have time later anyways.)

Memory: OCZ SLI-Ready 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

-- I'm kind of a fan of OCZ. Plus, with the rebate, I think that's pretty cheap for a 2GB DDR2 kit.

So after rebates, that adds up to just about $500 (with tax and shipping). I plan to use the rest of the stuff in my sig (the Raptors, the 8800GTs cards in SLI, and the PCPn'C power supply). I think that should definitely be an adequate rig for a while. :)

Please let me know if you have any recommendations or suggestions . . .

** Here's some specific questions I'm also trying to sort out. **

1. Does is it matter if I get the LT or non-LT version of that motherboard? According to the EVGA website the difference I see is that the non-LT supports "nVidia SLI-read memory with EPP" up to 1200MHz while the LT board only supports it up to 800MHz. I see that the the TR model doesn't support Quad-core overclocking so I'm staying away from that. But I'm not entirely sure about the LT. :blink: (There's so many different models! :hammer:)

Here's the EVGA comparison chart: http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/motherboard_perfGuide.pdf

2. What is the difference between the "OCZ SLI-Ready" memory and the Platinum. Is the "SLI-ready" just a gimic? Both kits cost around the same price with similar rebates, so I was trying to figure out which one to go with. The platinum can be seen here: OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

3. Is there any reason to upgrade to 4GB of RAM? I don't plan on running Vista any time soon and I do moderate gaming and multi-tasking (video editing, music editing, etc.)

Edited by Revivalist

the A1 evga board come's with a lifetime warranty, i would get that one just in case

Yeah, that's true. . . . Plus, I'm still curious about that statement "supports nVidia SLI-read memory with EPP up to 1200MHz." I would rather get the board that is more capable.

Only question is whether it's gonna come back in stock any time soon. . .

Hey Revivalist! You might want to consider something like this mobo.....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131219

Thanks Caintry. . . . The thing is that I'm planning to run SLI. I think that board is for a Crossfire setup.

The Geil Estoria will hit 4-4-4-12 @ 1066. I find that impressive and overclocks better with agressive timings.

OCZ is my second choice. Get the Estoria.

And dont spend so much on the Mobo, the 600 chipsets are kinda old now, and the new 780i boards are due december-january. Might wana wait for that, if not, get the EVGA

Geil Esoteria ........ Good stuff

cant go wrong with it

G.Skill is good stuff too ....

as for 4gb of Ram ...... i ran vista 64 with 1gb , 2 gb , & 4gb of ram ..........

1gb horrible .... 2gb flawless and didnt notice any improvement going to 4gb of Ram

might see an improvement in some memory intensive games

Thanks for the advice on the memory, guys. . . . I guess that's a lot of good choices to consider.

I didn't realize that the 680i is already an old chipset. I've only run AMD up to this point so I know little about Intel sockets, chips, etc. . . . . If the 780i is just around the corner then it sounds like I would be better of waiting for that.

To be honest, I'm not really in a hurry since this system is holding up pretty well for my needs. It does well multi-tasking and as for games, I can play BF2 (my favorite game) at full settings with no problem. I can also play Crysis at very high settings and average 25 FPS. So I guess I can just hang tight for a while. . . .The only thing is that my wife will probably buy me a bunch of clothes for Christmas instead. :yucky:

Thanks for the advice on the memory, guys. . . . I guess that's a lot of good choices to consider.

I didn't realize that the 680i is already an old chipset. I've only run AMD up to this point so I know little about Intel sockets, chips, etc. . . . . If the 780i is just around the corner then it sounds like I would be better of waiting for that.

To be honest, I'm not really in a hurry since this system is holding up pretty well for my needs. It does well multi-tasking and as for games, I can play BF2 (my favorite game) at full settings with no problem. I can also play Crysis at very high settings and average 25 FPS. So I guess I can just hang tight for a while. . . .The only thing is that my wife will probably buy me a bunch of clothes for Christmas instead. :yucky:

Tell her to get you the other parts then IOU the rest. :P

You will notice a difference with the switch though.

And I think biggys board is in the hospital, and he is just visiting. :lol: