Sign in to follow this  
LSWGrad05

Shutting off the computer when not in use

Just recently, I've been shutting off my computer when I'm done using it. I turn it back on when I want to and I shut it off when I'm finished. I turn it on and off three times a day (morning, afternoon, evening) and I've heard some things that it could damage a computer if you do that. I'm doing it because I thought it might save some energy and the electric bill, but I'm starting to think otherwise.

My dad's computer at his office, he just logs off, turn off the monitor and that's it. His workplace does system backups every morning so that's why he leaves it on all the time.

I know some friends of mine leave theirs on all day and shut it off at night and some shut it off when its not in use. I guess it depends on what you're comfortable with doing. I'm not sure.

Do you think its okay to leave the computer on all day and shut it off at night or is it best to shut it off when you're not using it?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the links.

I guess its just a personal preference. I don't really see any problems with leaving it on all day and shutting it off at night. I always shut mine down at night.

I can see if a person doesn't have a great power source, they might shut it down when not in use.

I always turn mine off when not using it.

Guest Trackrat

Same here, I shut it off when i am not using it.

start folding for the pit :lol: then you have no queries just leave it on 24/7 :tup: must admit prefer to leave it on 24/7 anyway coz been told it takes less out of hardware than stop start bit like a car for petrol consumption better to do 1 journey that stop starting all way. no expert just my opinion.. :b33r:

i use standbye always

Hi,

Here's what I pass along to all my computer customers who ask the very same question. To many it is a personal prefrence, so I shy away from telling them what they should do and instead offer the following for them to think about:

(1) I work 6 am to 2 pm, 5 days a week and leaving the computer on serves what purpose during those hours...Maybe my cats ???

(2) If I know I am going to be gone from my house for three or better hours, once again who is the winner besides the electric company...Even though computers may not use much ???

(3) When I am home and for as long as I am home, the computer will remain on even if I am going out for just a short while like to the store and back...

(4) When I go to bed at night, the computer is shut off because I hope to get anywhere's from 6 to 8 hrs sleep, so whom am I leaving the computer on for ??? The local burlar maybe ???

(5) Once upon a time, if you left the computer on the chance of the Icons burning their images into the screen (monitor) was possible but now-a-days it's unheard of except recently when over a friends house doing some troubleshooting, low and behold there was a sleuth of Icons burned into the screen because they too thought leaving the computer on was okay...

(6) Finally, depending on the weather will I shut it off...Power fluctuations and power outages I don't beleive makes our computers work better...I have a customer who has a black dot right in the middle of their screen from a power outage, not exactly what I want to look at every day...

Just thoughts for all to ponder, your call...

leaving pc on not the same as leaving display on no metter what display i always turn that off ... ;)

Leaving your computer on + maintenance

I follow this thread

Since following the above my computers have never run better. :rocks:

Hmm. I don't know what to do. I guess it may depend on what type of computer you guys have. If its a really good computer like a Dell, I'm sure you can leave it on at all times. If its an old computer, shutting it down every time you're done using it may hurt the hard drives.

I'm just going to leave my computer on all day and shut it off at night. Besides, I'll be giving this computer to my mom as soon as I get a job with great pay so I can buy a laptop for myself. Laptops are the thing of the future.

Easy way to do this is set PC to hibernate when not in use. Then you cut power usage without switching off and, major benefit, you get a much faster startup since PC does not have to load all normal processes.

I leave my computers on 24/7.

No reason for me to shut them off :shrug:

No reason to leave them on :shrug:

I just do, always have, and they run forever.

My laptop even stays on, only because I usually just forget to turn it off :lol:

I suppose if I were strapped for cash, and wanted to save a couple dollars on electricity I would turn them off, otherwise there just isn't any real reason to do so.

the constant on and off isnt good for the processor, you guys forgot about that. I dont remember what it is called, but turning it off and on more then 4 times a day isnt healthy.

it is similar to like taking out your processor more then 10 times is bad (LGA775)

google isnt helping

I leave my computers on 24/7.

No reason for me to shut them off :shrug:

No reason to leave them on :shrug:

I just do, always have, and they run forever.

My laptop even stays on, only because I usually just forget to turn it off :lol:

I suppose if I were strapped for cash, and wanted to save a couple dollars on electricity I would turn them off, otherwise there just isn't any real reason to do so.

I just love your casual attitude, I think I will do as you do Bruce! :rofl2:

Edited by tallin

I will leave one or two on if I'm going to use them all day....otherwise, they are all turned off at night.

Why leave them running if you're sleeping, or not planning to use all of them? :huh:

My opinion :P

I'm a fellow Standby user. More specifically, S3 standy, which uses hardly any power at all, since pretty much everything is shut off, but you get all the benefits of leaving it running.

I turn mine on in the morning, depending on the weather and/or whether or not I may be stepping out for the better part of the day, I'll usually leave it on until it's time for me to go to bed. No reason in the world for me to leave my computer on all night. -kd5-