Change Mode

I have two 160 gig sata hard drives. One has XP Home 32 bit and the other has Vista Home Premium 64 Bit. Problem is I can't get it to ask which system I want to run (dual boot). I have looked in the bios but can only find boot order. Can someone give me some guidance please?

I tried F8 key at boot and got a list of drives but no matter which one I pick I still get XP

Edited by mel8again

Enter your BIOS (esc, F1, or F2 usually) and look for startup options. If you can find one that gives you the option to select a list of OS's to display or for how long the choice is displayed for that would be a startup option too select... other common options are to select between an express or detailed startup mode.

Without knowing your particular BIOS a general answer is the best I can provide.

Thank you for the replies. My bios is AMI dated April 9, 2007. XP has been running on this build since June and Vista was installed today on a separate hard drive. Both os are oem that I have bought. I have downloaded Vista boot pro but have not installed it. I assume I have to install it when Vista is running. At the moment I am using XP.

Edited by mel8again

Thank you for the replies. My bios is AMI dated April 9, 2007. XP has been running on this build since June and Vista was installed today on a separate hard drive. Both os are oem that I have bought. I have downloaded Vista boot pro but have not installed it. I assume I have to install it when Vista is running. At the moment I am using XP.

Further update: I didn't find anything in the bios and now I can't get into Vista at all. It does not matter which hard drive order I change to in the bios it still starts XP. F8 does the same thing. Putting the dvd into the computer wants to reinstall or repair if I hit any key. Can't find that any key though(joke).

similar thing happened to me recently - not with Vista, but with 2K/XP. Like you I had two separate hard drives with an OS installed on each.

Something that it might be is that when you setup the operating system it claims exclusive access on the boot sector. If you have two different drives each with its own boot sector it might be that the default master drive is your XP drive... either set as the initial drive position with "cable select" as the jumper position, or actually set too "master".

I have setup dual boots before and had it work successfully in the following manner: I had a single hard drive which I partitioned between 3 operating systems (windows 2k, windows 98SE, and Mandrake Linux). I installed the various operating systems and configured them one after the other (discovering I had to install Linux first in order to have an OS selection option at startup).

With the boot sector on the same drive with three different kernel options I was able to pick an OS at startup.

I then setup a second hard drive as a data drive available to all 3 systems - forced to "slave".

I could have been doing the right thing for the wrong reason, but it worked for me.

:geezer:

I have two 160 gig sata hard drives. One has XP Home 32 bit and the other has Vista Home Premium 64 Bit.

Could the different Bit Settings be causing a conflict? Even though they are on different Drives?

:sparkle::pullhair::sparkle:

:geezer:

Could the different Bit Settings be causing a conflict? Even though they are on different Drives?

:sparkle::pullhair::sparkle:

Nope.

mel8again's problem lies in the fact that the bootloader doesn't give you the option to boot multiple operating systems.

Edited by brandon

Thanks everyone so far for your input. I have finally been able to get back into Vista. I used the dvd as Stormy advised and used Repair to get the boot up fixed. I have installed Vista Pro Boot but I get a message stating Vista Boot Pro has detected that Vista is either not installed or is installed on a hidden drive. The program is installed in Vista so I don't understand that statement. I have done the back up boot file but am lost on all the rest of it.

I see you are running Vista already so I don't think you have to replace the cpu although Vista would run faster with 2 gigs of ram. You can add another hard drive with XP on it. You can only run one at a time and vista takes a lot more resourses than XP. If you do add the other hard drive make sure you leave the one with Vista plugged into the mobo when you do it.

I hope this helps you. Maybe somebody with more experience here can help you further.

I do a fair bit of Multi-booting, mostly Linux though.

I believe one of the problems is that although both hard drives have an MBR , only one of the hard drives is active at a time, the other is hidden. The boot info on one drive isn't seen by the other.

Any time I've set up a Windows dual boot, I found it much easier to put both OS's on the same hard drive and use the other hard drive for saving all your files. Install XP first. After the installation, defrag then use the built in disk manager to create split the drive. Doesn't have to be a 50/50 split though. Later when you install Vista, it will pick up XP and add it to the boot loader.

For those that don't know, you can change the target drive for "My Documents".

:)

I thinking about adding another hard drive to my tower. When i do I would like to have xp and vista on the computer. How would I do that? Would i need a new procosser?

Your already running Vista, so XP will not be a problem. Looking at your system specs, you don't need anything other than what you have but the 100Gig drive may get pretty crowded.

That is great advice. I think I would prefer to both OS on the same Hd. so the question now is should i use the 80gb HD for the Os's or the 180gb. I think I would need more room for data then the OS's. What do you guy's think. Another question I have; when I boot up the first time, will I need to direct the computer to which drive to use? Will both OS's be running?

Use the 80 gig for the two Os's. 30g for XP and 50g for Vista. When you boot up, you'll be given an option to run Vista or XP (xp will say something like older Windows). Both OS's will not be running at the same time. You pick one, the other will be hidden.

:)