Sign in to follow this  
Jennym

Streaming Video Problems

Can anyone help me with my problem please, in the last couple of weeks I have found that video's on You Tube do not stream as they used to do.

I checked out the help page there and did everything I could but I still find that the only way to watch most videos is to pause them until they have completely streamed and then watch. To say that hubby is fed up would be an understatement!

One thing they did say was to make sure no other software was the default player but I really don't know exactly which programmes would be at fault or how to stop them being the default.

I'm a bit of a novice here, I know that I have Quick Time, Windows Media Player, Nero and Real Player, as well as Java and Shockwave and Adobe Flash. When when I last tried to update Adobe Flash IE said it was trying to do something unsafe and blocked it so I'm not sure what is happening there.

Any ideas?

Edited by Jennym

Howdy JennyM,

To find out what your default player is just do this..

If you have a video on your pc right click it and click properties..

This will tell you what program it opens with..

This can also be as simple as using a cleanup program

Download cleanup from below and when you open it click options and untick "clean prefecth files" and then cleanup and try utube again

Cleanup

To find out what your default player is just do this..

If you have a video on your pc right click it and click properties..

This will tell you what program it opens with..

Thanks Hifi, I found a .mpeg and a .avi and changed them both from Nero to Windows Media Player and it has slightly improved things. It still stops and starts though and I'm thinking to myself that all I have done is change the default programme around from one to the other and WMP could still be arguing with Adobe ShockwaveFlash. You Tube help pages say "Ensure that other applications like Quicktime, iTunes, Real Player or Windows Media Player aren't set as the default streaming application, as this might affect the video player" I don't really understand that because surely something has to be the default player...no?

Download cleanup from below and when you open it click options and untick "clean prefecth files" and then cleanup and try utube again

Cleanup

I did this first, but only ticked "prefetch files" and "Clean all users" - 168.8MB disappeared from my hard drive (mostly from my daughter's temp files I might add!). It didn't seem to make any difference I am afraid...although I really liked the noise it made :clap: I usually use Ccleaner which I find has a more user friendly interface and I think I'm right in saying does the same job.

As an addendum to my previous post...I have done all they say to do on this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCeXNzI_i9g

and it still hasn't resolved the problem...although this video plays perfectly :(

I have also tested my download speed and it's over 1MB, not the fastest, but surely should be enough.