Sign in to follow this  
andsome

Zone Alarm. I hate this form of selling

I used to be a fan of this software, but when it started to give problems I replaced it with Comodo. Now, on a couple of occasions they have sent me an e mail with a free security scan. I have run the scan out of curiosity. The results are enough to make me wonder how my computer runs at all. Needless to say, the results page also offers me their security suite to purchase to overcome all of these imaginary problems. On line scans with Panda and Trend, coupled with my Nod 32 AV, SUPERAntiSpyware, and A Squared show a completely clean machine. I HATE this kind of selling, and it has put me off the company for good. If anyone else wants to run this software out of curiosity let me know, and I can forward the e mail.

I posted a similar thread on their user forum, and it appears to have been deleted. They appear not to like seeing the truth.

Looks like your post is still there,

http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/board...essage.id=17529

BTW is this the scan you are referring too,

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/cm/index4.html

If so I ran it on my computer and it didn't find so much as a tracking cookie. Then again the scanner may not know what to do with Vista 64. :shrug:

Looks like your post is still there,

http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/board...essage.id=17529

BTW is this the scan you are referring too,

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/cm/index4.html

If so I ran it on my computer and it didn't find so much as a tracking cookie. Then again the scanner may not know what to do with Vista 64. :shrug:

That was my second post after the first was deleted. On two other forums I have received several positive replies from others who have had similar results after running this scan. :)

I look at Zone Alarm in the same light as Norton, and from the looks of all the other stuff they have come out with it doesn't look like that opinion will be changing any time soon. Lat time i used Zone Alarm was 5-6 years ago, decided I didn't like it; then really decided i didn't like it when for the most part the only way to get it off my computer (and regain control of the computer) was to reformat and re-install (wonder if that has changed any in the intervening years?).

I look at Zone Alarm in the same light as Norton, and from the looks of all the other stuff they have come out with it doesn't look like that opinion will be changing any time soon. Lat time i used Zone Alarm was 5-6 years ago, decided I didn't like it; then really decided i didn't like it when for the most part the only way to get it off my computer (and regain control of the computer) was to reformat and re-install (wonder if that has changed any in the intervening years?).

A few weeks ago I uninstalled it then ran crap cleaner. On looking in the registry there were no keys that I could find. :)

Guess they finally learned how to write a proper uninstaller, unlike a certain other security suite company that had to write a removal tool for their products.

Still wouldn't install ZA if they paid me though.

Guess they finally learned how to write a proper uninstaller, unlike a certain other security suite company that had to write a removal tool for their products.

Still wouldn't install ZA if they paid me though.

Trying some years ago to uninstall Norton because it was corrupted, invloved several e mails and several removal tools, and then under their directions I had to edit the registry. They only coperated because they thought I was going to reinstall it.

The thread has again been deleted from the forum. They obviously don't like justified criticism.

Thank you for the warning. I have been considering Zone Alarm for my next computer.

How well does ZA perform as a firewall? If I don't like ZA for their policies (or because it's not the most secure firewall), what free firewall would be a good choice?

(The OS will be XP or Linux, or possibly both.)

Thank you for the warning. I have been considering Zone Alarm for my next computer.

How well does ZA perform as a firewall? If I don't like ZA for their policies (or because it's not the most secure firewall), what free firewall would be a good choice?

(The OS will be XP or Linux, or possibly both.)

I have used ZA for over 4 years, and have had no problems with the "free" version. No problems with un-installing, either.

A person can disagree with business habits, but if an app. works effectively, doesn't use excess resources and is free, the latter is all I care about. After all, they have to make money to stay in business.

Just my opinion.