Change Mode

Tomorrow I am buying my second Seagate Barricuda 7200.10 320GB hard drive becuz my little bro broke my old one...(read other thread) so I might as well get mine to!

All I do is plug and re-install everyhting? How do I install raid?

1) Hit Control + I during bootup to access the RAID utility.

2) Build the array

3) Insert floppy disk with RAID driver

4) Hit F6 during the first stage of installing Windows.

5) When prompted, hit "S", install the SATA RAID ICH8/9R driver

6) Hit Enter and finish installing Windows - remove floppy at first reboot.

and, lets say I dont have a floppy drive?

Why would you build a computer without a $6.00 floppy drive. :lol:

Anyway aren't you running VISTA you may be able to browse for them off a CD. But the floppy is the best and easiest method.

Why would you build a computer without a $6.00 floppy drive. :lol:

Anyway aren't you running VISTA you may be able to browse for them off a CD. But the floppy is the best and easiest method.

the floppy looks way to ugly. :P

I dont have vista on my game rig, I am going to do that with my second HD. Maybe

I cant insert a disk with the raid driver? why does it need to be a floppy?

the floppy looks way to ugly. :P

I dont have vista on my game rig, I am going to do that with my second HD. Maybe

I cant insert a disk with the raid driver? why does it need to be a floppy?

I'm not sure how to do it with a cd, but anytime I mess with RAID I just take a floppy drive laying around and hook it to the mobo real quick to do what I need to do. Don't even need to install it in the case. Then when you get the RAID all taken care of just turn off the pc and disconnect it. Simple as that.

Also the user manual for my mobo specifically says to use a floppy for RAID. I dunno about others.

Edited by Cpt Morgan PHD

I'm not sure how to do it with a cd, but anytime I mess with RAID I just take a floppy drive laying around and hook it to the mobo real quick to do what I need to do. Don't even need to install it in the case. Then when you get the RAID all taken care of just turn off the pc and disconnect it. Simple as that.

Also the user manual for my mobo specifically says to use a floppy for RAID. I dunno about others.

Thats what I was gonna do, stick it on the side for 5 mins to install. No ugly thing is touching my computer!! :P

Basically, I do the steps IG showed? right?

But, my HD is filled with some stuff, like drivers and stuff, nothing important. So Do I just wipe it clean before I install RAID? Or can I install raid, then install a fresh OS?

Thats what I was gonna do, stick it on the side for 5 mins to install. No ugly thing is touching my computer!! :P

Basically, I do the steps IG showed? right?

But, my HD is filled with some stuff, like drivers and stuff, nothing important. So Do I just wipe it clean before I install RAID? Or can I install raid, then install a fresh OS?

IG left out one step, you have to first go into BIOS and set the SATA mode to RAID (it usually defaults to IDE emulation) in order to enable the CTRL-I for Intel RAID setup. Then follow his directions after that. I don't know which screen that will be in for Abit BIOS, but it's never been difficult to find for me in Gigabyte or Asus BIOSes. Get ready for something that looks like it's from 1987 with the Intel Matrix RAID or whatever they call it setup screen. It will wipe everything on the disks out when you set them to RAID anyway, no real need to clean them manually.

You have to use a floppy because XP is ancient and everybody had floppy drives back then. I think you can use a USB floppy drive which makes it realy easy, but I haven't done that in years. Vista will let you use a flash drive or a CD I believe, but it didn't matter for me as Vista figures out my RAID automatically and I didn't need any drivers.

True but you could also slip stream raid drivers onto the cd using nlite..

Here's a guide... http://www.msfn.org/board/Raid_Sata_slipst...ed_t105441.html

miggs, thats like speaking a whole different language. So my HD is coming tomorrow after a week of wait becuase tiger direct takes so long. Newegg didnt have it in stock.

So, steps again, please?

1) mount the HD

2) Plug in HD

3) turn on and immediatly press CTRL + I

4) Build Array

5) Insert floppy disk with RAID driver

6) Hit F6 during the first stage of installing Windows.

7) When prompted, hit "S", install the SATA RAID ICH8/9R driver

8) Hit Enter and finish installing Windows - remove floppy at first reboot.

this is all right? And what size strips?

miggs, thats like speaking a whole different language. So my HD is coming tomorrow after a week of wait becuase tiger direct takes so long. Newegg didnt have it in stock.

So, steps again, please?

1) mount the HD

2) Plug in HD

3) turn on and immediatly press CTRL + I

4) Build Array

5) Insert floppy disk with RAID driver

6) Hit F6 during the first stage of installing Windows.

7) When prompted, hit "S", install the SATA RAID ICH8/9R driver

8) Hit Enter and finish installing Windows - remove floppy at first reboot.

this is all right? And what size strips?

Before pressing CTRL I, you need to first go into the MOBO BIOS and set the SATA to RAID. then go into the CTRL I for RAID build, then let Windows begin to load, at first blue screen, (right at start) press F6, once it stops and asks you what driver to load, put in the floppy, press "enter" then select the drivers.

Leave floppy in until you have drives formatted, windows drivers loaded and it wants to reboot for the first time before windows set up. Pop out the floppy, the rest is easy.

X_C

There are a couple of other steps needed.

After enabling Raid, you need to enable booting from Raid.

So after you enable, save restart, and enable booting.

Save and restart again. After the screen for detecting HDs/CDs

press control - I. Set up raid array. It will reboot again, upon exit.

Have windows CD in, floppy in.

Press F6 when ask. Leave floppy in until it says remove.

:P

Are you having any issues with having them seen as IDE? Judging by your distinct lack of complaints about any problems, it seems that you aren't.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like having them seen as real SATA drives will give you a performance increase...

Are you having any issues with having them seen as IDE? Judging by your distinct lack of complaints about any problems, it seems that you aren't.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like having them seen as real SATA drives will give you a performance increase...

i have only had it installed for a day and never used it yet. how would i find complaints yet. :lol:

Ill see how it does though

oh, does it matter what sata port i put my second HD?

Yes, it does matter. Rumor has it, that if you put a hard drive on SATA ports 1, and 3, the universe will be destroyed, and humanity will be thrown into a plane of existance where the only thing playing is "Who's the Boss" for all eternity.

No, it doesn't matter

Edit: Forgive me, as I am bored. I like to say absurd things when I am bored. Everyone knows that Who's the Boss was such a horrible show, that not even a timeless plane of existence could handle that amount of sucktitude.

Edited by brandon

There are a couple of other steps needed.

After enabling Raid, you need to enable booting from Raid.

So after you enable, save restart, and enable booting.

Save and restart again. After the screen for detecting HDs/CDs

press control - I. Set up raid array. It will reboot again, upon exit.

Have windows CD in, floppy in.

Press F6 when ask. Leave floppy in until it says remove.

:P

Actually RAH, if there are no other HDDs in the system except the RAID drives, then it will automatically set boot.