Sign in to follow this  
kd5

Installing Windows 2000 Professional on a laptop

Working on an IBM Thinkpad, 1.6ghz P4 (M), 512mb RAM, 20gb hard drive, floppy drive but no CD drive. I have attached an external CD drive via USB, it's being recognized in the bios as CDROM, I've used the Ultimate Boot CD (via this external CD drive) to test the hard drive & memory, and write 0's to the hard drive (someone had wiped the hard drive before it was brought to me but I wanted to be sure), so the connectivity/communication between laptop & CD drive seems to be fine.

When I try to install Windows 2kPro, it boots to the 2kPro CD and loads the driver files (via this screen) just fine:

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/Inst...s/image1_1.html

But instead of going to this screen next:

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/Inst...s/image1_2.html

...it instead goes to a blue screen (similar to the screen you would see during a memory dump) and the message reads:

*** Stop: 0x0000007B (0xF2463848,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000 INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

and goes on to suggest that I check for viruses and/or check the hard drive configuration. It's done this all 4 times I've tried.

Any idea what might be going on here? And how I might get Windows 2000 Professional installed on this laptop?

Thanks, -kd5-

I've never tried to connect a computer (for the purposes of installing an OS) through my network before. I have ATT/Yahoo DSL, connecting via the "2-Wire Home Portal" which gives me connectivity 2 ways: Ethernet and USB. My entire network is connected via ethernet which leaves the USB port open. Would I connect a USB cable between the "Home Portal" and the laptop, and what would I do from there?

I'm not comfortable editing config.sys, autoexec.bat, adding CD drivers, etc., to an MSDOS boot disk... :mrsgreen:

Thanks, -kd5-

The article says:

If you can connect the laptop to a network, you can set up a Microsoft Remote Installation Services (RIS) server and install Win2K from the network.

but it doesn't say how.

How do I connect this laptop to my network (simply by connecting either an ethernet or USB cable from my router/modem/hub to the laptop?) and how do I set up a Microsoft Remote Installation Services (RIS) server? (I don't even know what that is) -kd5-

The article says:but it doesn't say how.

How do I connect this laptop to my network (simply by connecting either an ethernet or USB cable from my router/modem/hub to the laptop?) and how do I set up a Microsoft Remote Installation Services (RIS) server? (I don't even know what that is) -kd5-

How To Set Up and Configure Remote Installation Services in Windows 2000

Except for one minor little detail,

Using RIS

To ensure a successful installation, you must install and configure the additional services previously described for RIS to function. Also, ensure that you have both the Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2000 Professional CD-ROMs available. The following steps are an overview of how to set up and configure the RIS process.

Also, ensure that you have both the Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2000 Professional CD-ROMs available.

I guess I'm screwed then... :(

I don't have any computers here with Windows 2000 Server. Windows XP and Windows 2000 Professional, but no Windows 2000 Server.

Why would any company who would create a laptop as new as this one seems to be, choose installing a floppy drive over a CD drive? :mrsgreen: -kd5-

So, is all this RIS crapola necessary to using my network to install Windows 2000 Professional on this laptop? -kd5-

You say it has a floppy ?

My guess is that the blue screen is because your using a USB device which doesn't have the drivers installed due to your quandary, about the only thing I can think of is using Boot Disks, there is a 4 disk set there which should get you so far then it will ask for the CD, what I'm hoping is these disks would add whatever it is that it needs so it doesn't spit the dummy at you once you get so far, TBH I used only 1 floppy disk, I loaded disk 1 then took it out created disk 2 etc then continued each time, handy if you don't have 4 spare disks, hope this helps anyway.

it's trying to boot to the usb, which is what you wanted but after it loads the files from the cd, it needs to access the hard drive to load the install files.Try changing the boot order to the hard drive right after it does the first reboot after loading the files from the cd rom or have the hard drive as the second boot device and remove the W2K disk from the usb drive so it doesn't try to boot from it

Downloaded Windows 2000 Professional boot disk files 1 through 4, attempted to copy them to floppys, but each .img file is 1,440kb which is too large to fit on a floppy. I thought they might be iso images but they're not recognized as iso's. How the hell are you supposed to create a Windows 2000 Professional boot disk set when each file is too large for a floppy??? What the hell are you supposed to do with these files??? -kd5-

it's trying to boot to the usb, which is what you wanted but after it loads the files from the cd, it needs to access the hard drive to load the install files.Try changing the boot order to the hard drive right after it does the first reboot after loading the files from the cd rom or have the hard drive as the second boot device and remove the W2K disk from the usb drive so it doesn't try to boot from it

It hasn't gotten far enough to even reach the point where it does its first reboot. It merely loads drivers in preparation of continuing setup. Look at my links above (BlackViper's screenshots).....it's only made it as far as Image 1.1:

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/Inst...stall2kpro1.htm

It hasn't loaded setup files yet so I would think that attempting to boot from the hard drive at this stage would be pointless. -kd5-

How the hell are you supposed to create a Windows 2000 Professional boot disk set when each file is too large for a floppy??? What the hell are you supposed to do with these files?

With either the makeboot.exe or makebt32.exe. ;)

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

I think you have to create the floppy's using the utility(s) just under the 1 through 4, I did it a short while back and remember something about that now you mention it, I'd try and check but I have to get out the door a bit sharish for something, will check back once I get home again to see how you got on, but my suggestion, stick ALL the files in their own folder and run the utility from in there, I think it takes what it needs giving you prompts as needed from memory.

Just went to Microsoft.com which explained how to create the boot disks using the 2kPro CD,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197063

did that, set the boot order in the bios to boot from the floppy drive, booted to disk 1, it started to "inspect the computer's hardware configuration" then went to a

Disk I/O error: Status = 00001007

NTDETECT failed

message... :cr@sh: -kd5-

Have you tried it without the USB drive attached to start with ? it certainly sounds like it doesn't like it being there at this stage.

Have you tried it without the USB drive attached to start with ? it certainly sounds like it doesn't like it being there at this stage.

Same message as before. -kd5-

I'm about stumped then, could the drive or something else be faulty perhaps ?

Have you tried to load say xp to it ? not saying you should use that as such, but just to try and see if it's having an issue with 2k for whatever reason, if you get the same error with xp then I'd start wondering about hardware\cables maybe.

I dont think you can boot from USB unless it is in the boot order in your bios, so it can be selected, i.e.,

HD

CD-ROM

Floppy

USB

or something similar.

There is a long drawn out procedure for making a flash drive bootable, but only if the computer it is going to be used on has USB in its boot order.

There is a 'USB Bios Support' option in the Bios which is enabled, but there is no USB in the Boot Options, only CDROM, floppy, hard drive, and an option called IBA 4.1.07 Slot 0240 (whatever that is). -kd5-

It seems to be the hard drive not the cd that has the problem.Is there a boot anti virus option in bios that you can disable?

but there is no USB in the Boot Options,

:cr@sh::pullhair::thud:

There is a 'USB Bios Support' option in the Bios which is enabled, but there is no USB in the Boot Options, only CDROM, floppy, hard drive, and an option called IBA 4.1.07 Slot 0240 (whatever that is). -kd5-

kd...that is your NIC