USB DEVICE OVER CURRENT STATUS DETECTED !

USB DEVICE OVER CURRENT STATUS DETECTED !!

This message, along with "CMOS CHECKSUM BAD" appears everytime I start my new computer, and won't go away. USB devices hooked up, not hooked up, 3 sticks of ram, one stick of ram, I ever reseated all the coords. I can't get it to go away.

ASUS M2N

AMD 4200+ X2 64 Socket AM2

3 x 1GB Crosnair Ram

Is there anything I can do with to fix this? Has anyone else seen this error? The computer shutdowns 15 seconds after it boots no matter what. Even when I have a keyboard hooked up and working, it refuses to do anything but shut down.

Did you just update any drivers?

Roll back and see if that fixes the problem...

I have heard that wrong jumper settings or also correct grounding of the MOBO can cause this error, a few ideas hopefully one might help?

Cheers and welcome to the pit

PS: You should post problems in the User to User forum :)

"CMOS CHECKSUM BAD"

Usually means your motherboard CMOS battery needs replacing (no longer holds BIOS settings).

:)

Edit: O.K., maybe not if everything is brand new (but you never know how long it sat on the self or the battery could be defective). I would also try stripping down to the bare essentials, one stick of RAM, video, no hard drive even. Try to get into BIOS. Then add things one at a time.

Edited by flyfishingrules2

Things I would suggest might be the problem: 1. CMOS battery is bad (as others have said) 2. the USB front header is wired to the case wrong 3. the power supply might not be strong enough to boot the system 4. the motherboard could be bad or shorted on the case.

As everybody has said strip the system down to the bare minimum see if you can get it to post, then add parts back 1 at a time.

I have the same board (to replace a P4 asus that went toes up,) and I got the same message on boot disconnected the headers to the front ports, the message went away, reconnected the usb headers one at a time and eliminated the pair of ports that had gone down, been running sweetly ever since.

Disconnect all usb headers , replace one set at a time until you get the error message again, then eliminate that pair.

Had a closer look at the old board, signs of something blown between 2 usb headers.

This message, along with "CMOS CHECKSUM BAD" appears everytime I start my new computer, and won't go away. USB devices hooked up, not hooked up, 3 sticks of ram, one stick of ram, I ever reseated all the coords. I can't get it to go away.

ASUS M2N

AMD 4200+ X2 64 Socket AM2

3 x 1GB Crosnair Ram

Is there anything I can do with to fix this? Has anyone else seen this error? The computer shutdowns 15 seconds after it boots no matter what. Even when I have a keyboard hooked up and working, it refuses to do anything but shut down.

Hi Jim,

All the info posted is great! There is one other option! Once you do the suggested removal of headers and find the one bad, leave it disconnected and use the usb port that is working. You can buy a POWERED multi port hub fairly reasonably and that takes the load off the mb. I did this before something loaded the ports down and caused problems! If at any time, ANY usb port is shorted, the glands are extremely small and won't take very much stress.

Usually the powered hubs have 4 prots or more, and that will allieviate some load elswhere. As far as speed goes, it depends on how many units are running anyway. As it is several megs, this usually don't cause any problems. Hopefully you don't have any searously shorts in the mb!

Best of luck.

Blanco

P.S.

One of your usb items could be shorted. Maybe just unplugging them as suggested will do the trick....................

Edited by blanco