Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

OpenSuSE 10.3

The final release is in testing now and will be released Oct 4th.

The betas and RC versions have run so incredibly well on mt test machine that I decided to install on my laptop.

Now I could be wrong, but seeing as each time a new release came out, Yast updated everything on the system to most recent version, I could well now be using what will be released this coming Thursday.

That said, I do not recommend folks install on a daily use machine until the Final version is available.

Here are my observations and opinion about 10.3

It is fast, that is it boots fast. The desktop runs just a tad faster but the boot speeds are where I see the biggest improvement.

The next, and most important item is Yasts package management, and updater.

Simply put it works, it works like it should and works better and faster then it ever has.

The updater checks for updates periodically and lets you know if there are any, and will install them with your permission of course.

Package management loads repos about three times faster the 10.2 did.

Clicking on rpms that you have downloaded once again functions as it used to, it provides information about the software, and the option to install with Yast works perfectly.

I did not download the DVD, but instead just downloaded the CD. When installing one of the first things it does is offer to set up the network, then it grabs the latest package versions from the internet. No extra work on the users part, it just happens. Of course this isn't as fast as installing with a DVD would be, but because I hate downloading with torrents it is the method I chose.

It configured all my laptop hardware correctly, and everything worked right away. The only issue I had on the laptop was the synaptics touchpad. It was far too sensitive making it hard navigate menus. The simple fix was to install ksynaptics in Yast. Once it was installed the touchpad worked perfectly.

Packman has most software ported already, the only thing I had to download manually was the mplayer-plugin for SuSE 10.2, for some reason that just isn't in the 10.3 repository. However the 10.2 version works perfectly and my browser works great on all multimedia.

Another big plus was the drivers for my sprint wireless card are built in and also work faster the using usbserial. The new drivers are called sierra. I didn't have to anything other then plug it in, and tell Yast the modem was ttyUSB0 :banana2:

All in all. 10.3 is outstanding, and there are no show stoppers in it. I am going to be purchasing the box set. :tup:

It will be installed on all 5 computers here as soon as I get my boxed set :tup:

Edited by Bruce

Nice info Bruce. :tup:

I never really got the full feel of 10.3 as I ran it as a virtual machine, even then I could tell it was faster on boots and desktop.

Will be stoked to get the final release and play with it. I was looking at the repos from opensuse.org and I did not see anything about Beryl. Do you know what's up with that for 10.3?

Well I hope it works better than the compiz fusion I used before. I like Beryl's user interface so much better than compiz.

Went to Novell and Pre-ordered Suse 10.3 :clap:

the click install is ultra newb proof, to the left there are manuals, mirror lists, options to burn images, search, what more could you ask for :mrgreen:

Well I hope it works better than the compiz fusion I used before. I like Beryl's user interface so much better than compiz.

i like this alot, you have a choice,i love how i can do what ever i wish to improve my suse to my liking, i mean its the best, no other os comes close, i very happy :)

Distrowatch says the final version has been uploaded to the mirrors. Have been snooping around some U.S and Asian mirrors but can't find it yet.

:whistling:

Yeah it's out there, but the source files are not out there yet. So it kinda makes things like updating nVidia drivers a no go until then.

:whistling:

Yeah it's out there, but the source files are not out there yet. So it kinda makes things like updating nVidia drivers a no go until then.

I can live with that... :) Gotta link ?

I have a link, but they made it user and password protected now. :shifty:

Here is what the iso file name is. Maybe do a search for that. This is a cd for KDE.

openSUSE-10.3-GM-KDE--i386.iso

Edited by KRAM

That's on a virtual machine running a Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.4Gz with DDR800 ram @ 850Mhz.

That's super fast. A lot faster than what I'm dealing with right now. Can't wait.

:clap:

:b33r:

Very interesting. 10.3 by default will let you write to an NTFS partition. Guess they got the bugs worked out of the NTFS writing issues?

Went to Novell and Pre-ordered Suse 10.3 :clap:

Ditto.

D.

:blink:

DAMN IT.....i HATE green! :yucky:

why couldn't they just stick with blue?? :huh:

....bass-turds :grr:

Open up the splash screen in The Gimp, and use colourize or something to change it to blue. ;)

If you send it to me, I would do it for you.

i will take one, jimmi hendrix, purple haze :lol:

Edited by duanester

Open up the splash screen in The Gimp, and use colourize or something to change it to blue. ;)

If you send it to me, I would do it for you.

where would one find the splash screen to be able to edit with Gimp? I'm a n00b with Linux, remember.

:lol:

D.

Will installation involve uninstalling 10.2 and reinstalling? If so, how do I uninstall 10.2? Also, will I have to back up all my other stuff?

Thanks.

d0nut (Newbie Linux user)

No. From what I understand you do not need to uninstall 10.2, there should be an option upon boot-up for Installation, Update, etc ......

But, don't quote me on this. It is always a good idea to back-up your files when updating an OS.

D.

Linux n00b as well.