Photo storage on computer

Hi!

I'm a real novice, so please excuse my dumb questions....

I'm using a Compaq, 503 MB, Windows XP.

I have a Kodak EasyShare Dock that I use to get the pictures from my digital Kodak camera to the computer. My software of choice for handling the photos once they are there is Picasa.

My problem is this: I have photos in "My Pictures", in Kodak, in My Documents/My Pictures, and in Picasa. Some are duplicated, some only appear once, and some appear everywhere. I DON'T HAVE A CLUE which are the originals (which I don't want to delete), which are duplicates, and which are "pointers". Can anyone help me? I think I would really like to put all of the photos in one place! Thanks!

Edited by bjclark

My problem is this: I have photos in "My Pictures", in Kodak, in My Documents/My Pictures, and in Picasa

Ya i bet you do ,well first i put pictures only in my pictures ,i make a master folder for all pictures i download from my camera,For one very good reason ,if your going to touch up any of your photos and mess it up you have a copy untouched in your master folder ... not sure why your running picsa not needed for one ,two i don`t know if you have a memory card in your camera if so use it ,to download your pictures onto yourcomputer ,then you can kill both kodak and picasa . then your pictures will be in one place...

when i want or need to edit or print out pictures you can then use either of the programs .i don`t, i use roxio 7 for fast printing ,to touch up any photos i use both photoshop and or roxio to remove redeye and cropping

and to use any folder in the master send it out to my documents then drag it back into my pictures ,just made sure you name every folder you make for your new pictures date and name

IE 7-7-07 Moms-80th B-DAY or suzie 10th class reunion

fast to find instaed of the numbers your camera want to use ...

on programs there are many out there to use i just named two out of 4 i use myself

Edited by tw2

Thats a very important tip from tw2, and I expand that to everything on my PC, orders memberships etc, you just don't realise how much easier it makes things until you reach a point where you are now, so follow that valuable tip for future use.

Now as to sorting your pic's, it will be a slow laborious task but if it's essential to keep the originals then you will have to plod through them all, so first thing to do is set up the master folder for the originals as suggested above, to do this right click in an open space in the folder you want it in, I suggest going into your my pictures as it's a logical step, now right click in an open space and select create new folder from the options, a new folder will appear, now without touching anything else type in a name so you can identify it for future use, I suggest master but use what works for you, now go into that folder and leave it open, adjust the window if needed so you can have a few windows open and visible at the same time.

The next step could take a couple of methods, if you have not renamed any of the pic's then the easiest way IMHO is to use the search under the start button, launch the search and copy and paste the name of 1 pic into it and run the search, you will see how many results there are and their locations, now you can look to the right of the search window at the top for the date modified column, look for the oldest date that is there and you have your original of that pic, move it into the master folder then delete any copies you no longer want, then move onto the next pic and repeat the process, it's a gutting job but it's a very definite method of approach that will get what your after.

good edit 8210GUY

i make a new folder every time i download my camera,and put it into the master folder i made.Now i alos make one the says current pics,after i down load the camera i turn any photos that need to be turned then put it in the master folder now to use or have a full copy in my pictures just right click on the folder send

it out my documenets then just drap it back into my pictures .Now here`s a warning for you if it ask you if you want to replace the file , Opps you left it in my pictures and forgot to put it in the master .

always put your new folder of pictues in the master never edit any of them ,

IE, like remove red eye ,resize,crop , the list can go on ,use the master just like a negitave ,not to be touched ....use a copy of the picture .... once you wipe out the only copy of a picture by making a bad edit

and can`t change what you did, had that happen because of windows ,name the problem there are many for windows to not let you save your work :cr@sh: ,

but always put your new folder of downloaded pictures in a master and don`t forget to name the folder... easy to send a new copy out of the master then try to figure out how to get a new pictures from someone else ....

Well as a result of this thread I have finally gone through my folders and fine tuned them even further, worst was my orders folder, I only had the 1 folder for all orders, so I now have a folder for each company that was ordered from, and in the titles of these I have the order number or other clear info and the date.

Unfortunately I went and put the dates as the last part of the title, but my main reason for telling you this here is because I feel it's a valuable tip to add to the others, I found it the hard way having to redo every single entry lol, but I suggest putting the date as the 1st part of the title, it doesn't look and feel right until suddenly you think to yourself where is x bit of info from x period of time, it's only then that you suddenly see how having the date as the first entry and select to sort by name just how quickly you can get to what your after, so in your context with pictures if your looking for say Xmas 06 you can go straight to that section of your album then quickly identify from the rest of the description\title just what your looking for, it's a godsend to do it as they come in, I've just done a few years worth as I've only just (well not just, but it's been on the to do list for over a year lol) found out how valuable it is in finding info I need for RMA's etc, happy editing.

Hi! Thanks for all of your input! As suggested, I used a search to locate all of the copies and was astounded to find as many as seven copies of the same photo! Having more than 2000 photos, I got discouraged quickly and ended up just burning a copy of each photo on to disks. Then, I tried to delete anything that looked like a photo from my computer. I think I at least succeeded in reducing the mess! Now, I will try to incorporate some of your suggestions when downloading. Thanks again for all of your help.

I told you it could be a gutting job lol, but while your on your clean up mission you may want to try a couple of wild-card searches for images, try searching for .jpg and .gif as they are common picture extensions, also take note of what format your other pic's appear to be in incase they are different to these and search that extension as well, that should find any pic's that may be renamed but still copies of what you have.

Delete Kodak, and Picasa after you find your pictures and save them, with XP still close to default setting don't need camera software. just plug in the USB cord and wait for the popup. use the first option. It will let you name the file, put new folder, or the last folder you used. If you still want Picasa install it but don't let it be default or the popup stops.

Posted Image

Thanks again. I did try to find all of the pictures using search and **.jpg. Unfortunately, along with my photos, I found other stuff that I was unsure of. Could some of the entries be from other software instruction or the like? Do I have to be careful of what I am deleting?

Yes you must take a lot of care in the wildcard search, it will show every icon and logo on your system from the programs and everything, so only delete things you are absolutely sure about, if in doubt leave it alone, but if you navigate to the directory where it shows it as being you can quickly see if it's one to delete or not, you can even instantly dismiss ALL results that show up in the windows system folders etc, the only locations you should of had copies in are folders on the hard drive, anything that is in a program folder or system file is to be left alone, in the search window it gives you the physical address of each result, so you should be able to quickly dismiss most of the results as soon as you see C:\windows or C:\programs etc, you should only need to check out results in non system folders, unless you had a wild time saving everywhere lol.

Generally speaking yes, BUT, because I don't know whats on your system, and even if I did I probably wont know some of it and how that may work, add to that anything you may of done knowingly or not I couldn't guarantee that, so you will have to use common sense, but it is a good rule of thumb to assume it was put there for some reason if in a system folder etc so is best to leave it alone unless you know for sure, but use file cleaners and they will clear out temp files etc and clear up some of the junk, there are 3 I use, and each finds something the others don't more often than not, Cleanup from Steven Gould, disk cleaner and CCleaner, they should retrieve a lot of wasted space if you haven't use such things yet.

Hi!

I took your advice and downloaded Cleanup from Steven Gould and ran it, CCleaner, and Registry Mechanic. The computer should be relatively clean now.

I have a few more questions and hope that you have the time and patience to answer them.

When I do a "search", I find some very odd entries. While most entries start with C:/ there are many that are simply "ScreenSavers/Snowy Enchantment/unlock". I would really like to delete them, but I don't know where to find them. If I double click on them (in search), a window opens that says, "unlock_02A.jpg is password protected. Please enter the password in the box below. Can you help me? Thanks so much!

Edited by bjclark

NP's, got plenty of patience for decent people, it's only idiots I can't abide, but I know how helpless I have been and still am at times so I know the feeling of not wanting to inconvenience anyone, so you just keep asking away, no reasonable person will ever be bothered by people wanting to know more etc.

Some don't like touching registry cleaners, but some say it's OK, so it's a mixed bag there, but without knowing exactly what each file is I wouldn't like to say, there are just too many variables for anyone to say for sure one way or the other, often they could be a genuine file to do with a program, other times they may be an infection (possibly what your wondering about here at a guess), the best suggestion I can offer there is using the search window take notice at the top, the headings in the bar have dividers, hover your mouse over the divider of the location and click and hold once it changes then drag it to the right to uncover the full address of that file on the heading bar over the divider, you can then manually navigate to that location and see what is connected to it (program or anything), then copy and paste the file name into google and see what it reports back, more often than not you'll end up on liutilities.com (something like that), or if it's a process go to the link at the end of this and look it up, they list it all alphabetically so it should be obvious.

http://www.answersthatwork.com/

Now when was the last time you ran any scans and what scans were they if you had ?

Just wondering if it may be worth your while running some to see what comes back, see how all this goes and report back with the results\findings, if anything still looks off it may be worth running a hijack scan just to be safe, but lets see what we can find first, no point doing such things if everything comes back as legit.

[%PROGRAM_FILES%]\wildtangent\screensavers\snowy enchantment\ [%PROGRAM_FILES%]\windows media player\visualizations\

It very well could be some form of malware.

http://www.spywaredata.com/spyware/malware...antment.dll.php

http://www.spywaredata.com/spyware/malware...wunlock.exe.php

http://www.spywaredata.com/spyware/threat_...gent/result.php

Yes wildtangent is most definitely Spyware, you often have to install it to use certain software, on shockwave certain games wont play unless you install it, get and run the following and see how you go, Spybot S & D, ad-aware se (2007 is too buggy) and SUPERAntiSpyware, any one or all of these should remove it, see how you go.

Hi! I'm trying to follow your instructions but I'm having a problem. When I enter **.jpg in the search window, I am getting two different types of entries mixed together.

One type is the standard:

Vacation.jpg C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents....

The other type is:

unlock.jpg ScreenSavers/Snowy Enchantment/unlock

I know where to find the first ones, namely on C drive, Documents and Settings, owner, etc. It's the second kind that have me baffled! Do you know of any way that I can forward a copy of the "search" window to you? Thanks! :h3lp:

A screenshot is probably the simplest way to show what your seeing, hit the print screen button then open paint and paste it into that and select to save as, then use the drop down box and select .jpg if it's not already selected, then go to somewhere like photobucket and upload it there and post the link it gives you for the pic back here, not too sure it will make a massive difference as to what we can tell you as we don't know what you have installed, but feel free to do it and we can see if theres anything obvious, have you run the suggested scans above ? they may clear some of the entry's for you if they are Spyware etc.

not too sure it will make a massive difference as to what we can tell you as we don't know what you have installed,

To help in this regard perhaps you could run a pittest and post a link to your results back here so we can see whats what with your computer.......eg: installed programs, possible malware etc....

The link below will show you how to do this....

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress/howto1.asp

8210GUY...have you run the suggested scans above ? they may clear some of the entry's for you if they are Spyware etc.

It may very well clear some of the entry's for you. If you choose not to it's no big deal just

post back saying so and that way folks will know not to waste their time pursuing that

avenue.

Edited by Humbluemoon