Change Mode

2000 vs XP vs Vista

jep

Alright well i was just wondering about this one for several reasons. Vista had an amazing hype about it then it came out, mostly negative things have been said about it ( i can argue both ways ). XP is what I grew up on and used most and became custom too. But Windows 2000, theres something about that OS. Many of the computer Guru's I know STILL use that as there primary OS, thats not to say they dont use others. But when asked most of them praise it as Microsofts first and LAST fully stable and functional OS. Now...after pondering that thought and not going any deeper into conversation, I just nodded and said ok. But, now Im wondering, which was Microsofts best released in your opinion. Oh, and if we have any loyal 2000 users on here, whats so great about it ?

thanks! :)

Alright well i was just wondering about this one for several reasons. Vista had an amazing hype about it then it came out, mostly negative things have been said about it ( i can argue both ways ). XP is what I grew up on and used most and became custom too. But Windows 2000, theres something about that OS. Many of the computer Guru's I know STILL use that as there primary OS, thats not to say they dont use others. But when asked most of them praise it as Microsofts first and LAST fully stable and functional OS. Now...after pondering that thought and not going any deeper into conversation, I just nodded and said ok. But, now Im wondering, which was Microsofts best released in your opinion. Oh, and if we have any loyal 2000 users on here, whats so great about it ?

thanks! :)

Well, I don't run W2K on my main rigs, but I do have a couple copies of it and you said it all in your post, "fully stable and functional"....

I do have a copy of Windows 2000 Pro running on an older machine doing [email protected] trouble I have.....

:geezer:

Why shouldn't it be here.

There was a time when we actually used to "discuss" many computer issues in general "discussions".

Can you imagine the horror it, actually discussing computer topics at a computer forum.

I have found neither W2k or XP to be more stable than one another. Both os's had major issues when released. Took several service packs to get W2k up to snuff and 1 service pack to get XP there.

Tried Vista when it was RC2 and of course that stunk and I had an older system then. Have updated my pc since then and threw a copy of Vista Ultimate on here just to see how it came out. I'm very impressed with it. I have had zero issues with it and it runs pretty darn fast for all the eye candy it has. Not sure what people are complaining about with Vista?

EDIT: My recommendation to a Windows user, hands down Vista would be on my system.

Edited by KRAM

The key takeaway is that as far as Microsoft OS's go.... don't be an early adapter unless you enjoy hashing through preliminary glitches and driver errors.

XP was the best initial release IMO; however I am presently running a Win2K Pro on a few older rigs that do side work for me and don't have a problem... won't be upgrading to Vista for a little while.

I could always say that Win 3.11 was good for what it was, but what it was doesn't even fundamentally compare.

Well I'll confess that until last year when I switched to XP from win 98se and only because I had to add more ram to run beta tests of games :geezer: Mind you I was running win 98se on a P4 3.4ghz system couldn't get it to run with 1.5gb of ram or I would still be running it as my prime operating system. My son's computer was switched to XP 3 years ago because of file limitations in video editing and my daughter-in-law is still running win 98se on P4 2.4ghz even though she is dual booting with XP :sparkle:

As for Vista when SP1 comes out I'll start dual booting because I'll need it for beta testing of games. Vista suffers from the same problem as all new software of bloat creep.

Volt I'm shocked that you gave up w2k since you loved that operating system :wub:

Well, I am not really that versed in OSs, but my main complaint with Vista is that it has a constant problem of hanging up when attempting to run defrag.

There's no need to even run defragment. Vista does it automatically when the computer is idle.

I've never used Win2000, so I can't comment on it.

I've used 98se, XP home, XP Pro and Vista Business. My machines have all been stable except for 98se in the very beginning.

Right now I'm switching between XP and Vista business...using three machines...I love all of them :blushing:

I'm currently having Vista Ultimate built for me :clap: .... it may turn out to be my favorite.

I've never used Win2000, so I can't comment on it.

I've used 98se, XP home, XP Pro and Vista Business. My machines have all been stable except for 98se in the very beginning.

Right now I'm switching between XP and Vista business...using three machines...I love all of them :blushing:

I'm currently having Vista Ultimate built for me :clap: .... it may turn out to be my favorite.

i like ultimate a lot so far, but i am running it with a bare 1 gb of ram...it does alrigth. im trying to tweak ready boost into using some of my external hd as ram, it can be done i just have to figure out how.

Whats up with Windows 98 being so common hha :-)

acctually though i did recently get an old pc i found in a basement in my aunts old house, has 96 mb of ram and 320 mhz processor. Oddly though after uninstalling useless stuff everything runs perfect and using firefox it runs great can browse the web and email and all that great stuff. Not a performance PC but hey sweet went vista goes crazy on here :-p. Yea anyway got off topic there, Im assuming the Windows 98 low resources is why it runs so great.

Things brings up another question (Sorry im asking and posting so much). Has anyone ever put an older operating system on a new PC (Older then XP).

loving all the response on here by the way, i thought this place was dead!! :clap:

i

Things brings up another question (Sorry im asking and posting so much). Has anyone ever put an older operating system on a new PC (Older then XP).

All depends on how new the hardware is and whether there is any support of 98. A lot of the motherboards, video cards, etc just don't have the driver support anymore so even trying is a lost cause.

Volt I'm shocked that you gave up w2k since you loved that operating system :wub:

Its a long story little lady... :lol:

But 2000 is still the best ever in my opinion...and it will be on this machine the first time 98se screws up... :) v

I love XP SP2 personally.

It's only good if you have the hardware to run it however.

Like you say, it isn't "quite" as stable as 2k. I will have a random crash here or there, just because it didn't like having my iPod and scanner plugged in at the same time.

I had an ol clereon 1.3 running 2k, it was very nice, no crashes on anything ever.