Sign in to follow this  
TeMerc

Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5 Final Release

We have to admit, it was delayed a few times, mostly because we always had some new feature we wanted to implement in mind, but now it's finally here: we're proud to announce the availability of Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5. This new version features a lot of improved detection mechanisms (which in parts were already made available through the regular 1.4 updates in the past months), improved Operating System support (Windows Vista integration, restored support for Windows 95, more compatibility with Wine, support for bootable Windows CDs), improved browser support (e.g. for immunization) and much more - you can find an overview of noticable changes and some screenshots below.

Downloads will be made available throughout the next days, and we'll try to keep the download mirror list up-to-date with who already has this newest version.

• System support
  • Restored Win95 compatibility
  • Improved Wine compatibility
  • Fixed HyperThreading issues
  • Improved 64 bit immunization
  • Create Portable.ini in main folder to use app folder as data folder as well
  • New warnings about missing admin rights on Windows Vista
  • Support for multi-line bookmarks (IE 7 / Vista)
  • New Immunization for Firefox & Mozilla
  • Improved Immunization for Opera
Reports
  • Added version info to bug report
  • Include Errors.log now includes timestamps
  • Improved Windows version display
Misc
  • "Single excludes" now include filenames to be more unique
  • Improved settings retrieval from registry (mixed installations)
  • Fixed .reg import bugs
  • Added support for automated removal of F/Ps from host lists
  • Changed update UserAgent and Referrer
  • Improved (Vista-compatible) support for fast user switching
  • Updater now in separate executable file
  • Vista manifests for assigning required rights to each application
  • Deactivated list of active ports per process for Vista (incompatible)
  • Fixed support for handle list on 64 bit systems
  • Improved disabling/enabling BHOs
  • New special error reporting for beta versions
  • Support for Windows Error Reporting for public versions
  • Fixed update-related crashes on Vista
  • Fixed memory leaks (replaced Indy with Synapse)
  • Vista-compatible MSI installer for those who like/need that
  • Support for alpha tests on services and domains lists
  • Added hundreds of new automated tests of internal functionality for prerelease QA
  • Added TeaTimer hide icon (disabled) registry value in installer
Detection and removal of threats
  • Improved PE detection all over the place
  • New 64 bit detection all over the place
  • Improved file removal methods
  • Added optional custom RecoveryDir setting in Default.ini
  • Automatic guessing of "Download Dir" folders
  • Added support for renaming services before stopping/killing/deleting them
  • Improved plugin support (example: current TCP/IP Plugin)
  • Support for regular expressions nearly all over the SBI interface
  • Much improved logic connections between files, registry and API detections (others would invent a new TLA for that *g*)
  • Speed-ups through improved caches
  • File version checking
  • Authenticode checking
  • Improved archives checking
  • Faster fulltext checking
  • Improved Sys Internals file location algo
  • Improved hosts file location algo
  • Added some more Opera 9 detection schemes
User interface changes
  • Fixed "show more information" panels
  • Implemented workarounds for misarranged buttons (including TeaTimer)
  • Improved support for /allhives in tools section (inactive installation support)
  • Fixed flag shown on shortcut bar after changes
  • Fixed IE proxy import in wizard
  • Changed "use proxy" button to checkbox
  • Improved localization on simple dialogs
  • Added option to add a proxy inside app if running on Win PE
  • Improved localization of list of updates
  • Added Firefox icon on Cookie exclude page
  • Fixed bad keyboard handling on some exclude lists
  • Fixed cookie removal selection problems
  • New confirmation dialog for system restore points
  • Changed default font to Tahoma
  • Red cross (trademarked) replaced with green cross
  • Made "Check" option unavailable during fix
  • Process list now is a bit less eager on tooltips
  • Improved "delay start" dialogs
  • Now displays checksum for each result for better trackback of results
  • Fixed "Ignore Products" column width problems on Vista
  • Improved localization of product descriptions
  • Adjusted wizard for new situation (external updater etc.)
  • Fixed Tools snapshot comparison highlighting
  • Made display of registry changes in results list less confusing
  • Improved SDHelper dialogs and block/allow choices
  • Update date format on info page now localized
  • Displayed app version is now four numbers (e.g. 1.5.1.12)
  • (De+)Select all in list of old reports
  • Improved Warning/Confirmation dialog IE plugin
  • Configuration & Information dialog in IE plugin
Spybot Home w\lots of screenshots

Download Page

Digg It!

I like it :clap:

The new updater is easier to use, and there's a little brick wall animation when you immunize. It looks like they put some work into the interface. I can't wait to try it out removing malware on my virtual PC when I have time.

Just installed it and running the first scan now, little seems to of changed in the settings, but the update is noticeably different, and the immunise page gives you a breakdown of whats covered or needs to be covered by applying the immunise.

I really like it. Looks very sharp!

With this new edition, I noticed a little icon close to the clock for Spybot-SD Resident. It's pretty efficient. And when I turn on my computer, it makes this sound that its checking where I put a floppy disk in.

Well it finished it's scan and found a smitfraud (I think thats it) infection that even SUPERAntiSpyware hadn't found, so it looks promising.

So, what's the preferred/accepted method of installing 1.5, uninstall 1.4 first? Or install 1.5 over 1.4? -kd5-

I think they say you can install it over the old one, but I uninstalled it manually anyway just to be safe. :geezer:

Normally I install over the previous one unless told otherwise (with any software), and in my experience you usually get a prompt telling you that you can't if thats the case, BUT, with this one it told me that the directory already exists and did I want to install to it anyway ? :huh:

So I cancelled the install and uninstalled the old version first which prompts for a reboot to complete, I still got the same message again after, but I guess thats simply because it left the folder behind.

So, what's the preferred/accepted method of installing 1.5, uninstall 1.4 first? Or install 1.5 over 1.4? -kd5-

Well I'm not sure what the authors prefer but I also uninstalled manually and deleted the folder from Program Files. 1.5 installed perfectly, and ran flawlessly....I like it!!

:geezer:

Uninstalled 1.4, deleted the Program Files folder, removed the remaining registry entry with jv16. Initiated installation of 1.5, unchecked 'Skins' & 'Additional languages' (as usual), left 'Download Updates Immediately' checked (even though I'm not entirely sure what it is yet - If it's an auto update feature that will want to run at Startup, I don't want it, but we'll see), finished install.

I'm really glad they didn't completely overhaul the GUI like Ad-aware did, not much of a learning curve involved. So far Spybot 1.5 seems fine, may or may not use Tea Timer, as I remember it Tea Timer wants to remind me every time that Cleanup! is performing its normal operation of placing a temporary entry in your Startup (until you've logged off & back in, or until you've rebooted under 98se or ME) even though you've told Tea Timer to allow it permanently. That's really annoying to me... :boxing:

So far Spybot S&D 1.5 has my continuing approval. Ad-aware, on the other hand, earned nothing with their upgrade. I've gone back to 1.06r1 and would sooner use something else than upgrade. -kd5-

I loaded this onto vista 64 bit earlier and it went sweet as anything, it even seemed to of added something over the xp install, I certainly can't recall seeing it in the xp install anyway, it was tying itself into the security if I read it right in the vista install, but it works flawlessly in vista 64 bit.

That download updates is exactly as is says it is, leave it checked and it will download the latest definitions straight away, thats it, nothing more, I set mine up so that it checks for updated definitions as soon as I launch the software, it's also set to apply any immunisation should it be required on launching, and finally it will scan, all from just launching the program by double clicking on it's icon, tea timer is not connected to any of this and will do as it ever did, just remember if using it make sure you don't have any other real time Spyware software running at the same time. ;)

Let's see if anyone here has an answer for this: I've immunized with Spybot 1.5 and I have all protections enabled with SpywareBlaster, yet Spybot shows that I have 46547 out of 46690 possible protections enabled, 143 Unprotected items. Everything is checked, how can I have 143 unprotected items? Does that somehow pertain to TeaTimer? If so, why? -kd5-

Spybot has the latest updates, yet I still show 143 unprotected items. -kd5-

It's in the IE \ Software (Plugins) category. What exactly are they referring to when they say "Plugins"? I'm using IE6sp1, nothing untoward has been installed as far as "Plugins" are concerned besides the normal activeX controls. -kd5-

I don't have any of that stuff installed... :shrug:

It shows the same number of unprotected items on my wife's computer. -kd5-

Solution: Undo Spybot's Immunization, if you have SpywareBlaster re-enable all protection, then re-immunize with Spybot. Now, 0 items are unprotected with Spybot. -kd5-

Everyone might want to read this, from MVP>

Sadly, SpyBot has decided to change its tactics. When you install the new V1.5x it will, without your consent, install two BHOs (plug-ins) in IE - this occurs without your knowledge or consent. Even upon exit of the program, those two BHOs remain active

From Bill_Bright, A MVP> http://www.castlecops.com/t200467-New_SpyB...amp_D_woes.html

Very interesting an not good news. :hammer:

Wademan

That is not good at all, I really hope Spybot makes those optional in their next version. I hate it when programs install things without my consent. :(

If you have the Resident SD Helper enabled, that accounts for 1 BHO, I'm assuming TeaTimer would account for the other. I'm not using Tea Timer so I have only 1 BHO from Spybot on my computer.

I don't see what the big deal is, Spybot has always loaded a BHO for SD Helper, I have to assume the other would be for Tea Timer. Why the sudden outrage? Was Mr. Bright not previously aware that Spybot had installed a BHO on his computer? I've known about it ever since Spybot's SD Helper/TeaTimer inception years ago, it's like a big 'So What?' for me... :blank: -kd5-

I'm only on an older rig right now but when I click on BHO's in the Tools menu, it only shows 1 BHO. Thats the one for Spybot helper....:blink: