Sign in to follow this  
kd5

I HATE Windows Vista!

Had an opportunity to get a smattering of experience using Windows Vista (Home Premium), I gotta tell ya, if this is the direction M$ wants to take with their operating systems, I'll either be a die-hard XP user or I'll migrate to Linux. I HATE this operating system with a passion... :angry:

Working on a laptop that has an Intel Core 2 Duo (Centrino) processor, 1024mb of PC2 4200 (or some such), trying to figure out how to tweak some settings, shut a few things off to make this a more responsive operating system, just as I would with XP, but finding things in this operating system is a royal time-consuming PITA. Took me 15 minutes just to find Add/Remove Programs (now called Programs and Features :rolleyes: ) just so I could get rid of some pre-installed Dell crap.

Finally found how to change a few settings, installed a few apps, found out that O&O (freeware version) won't work with Vista, installed Auslogic's instead. I'm afraid to try jv16 PowerTools, FreshUI won't work with Vista, M$ hasn't made a "Powertoys For Vista" (TweakUI) yet, Irfanview installed OK but the plugins wouldn't install the first time around, had to have another go of it but got them installed on the 2nd try. Of course Lavasoft hasn't made Ad-aware Vista-compatible yet but Spybot works, as does SpywareBlaster. I haven't installed Avast! yet, (I'm behind a hardware firewall, plus I haven't gone anywhere threatening.....yet) but I have to assume Alwil has done a better job with compatibility than Lavasoft.

I got lucky and didn't have to install any drivers although I updated a couple once everything was up to snuff, but I understand that many hardware/driver compatibility issues are still unresolved/a major issue, and is just one more reason for me to steer well away from Vista on any of my machines.

Every time I want to delete unnecessary links to "Read Me" files (or other such nonsense) in the Start, Programs menu, or delete unwanted desktop icons, now not only do I have to confirm the deletion, but I also have to give Windows "permission" to perform the action as well. And then, with some things, another warning comes up asking me to confirm that confirmation... :pullhair:

Whenever I have to restart the computer, the shut down defaults to "Sleep", (I realize you've always had to physically select which action you want to take, but why would it default to sleep?) I think XP made it as easy as I would like it, having me point and click my selected option, drop-down menus always were kind of a PITA...

M$ has made installing and/or uninstalling applications a major trial with Vista. Confirm the action being taken, confirm the confirmation, give the operating system permission, yada yada yada, what a PITA... :yucky:

They turned a relatively simple Control Panel (with an average of 24 icons) into a complete nightmare (with an average 52 icons.......renamed :hammer: )

I kind of like the way Vista looks, but they made it infinitely more complicated for the average user, and infinitely more of a pain in the butt for those of us who got used to XP and were able to make it behave like previous versions of Windows. I've made a few changes to that end but finding things in Vista has been a real challenge. I'm sure I could get used to it if I used it for a long period of time but from where I sit that's not going to happen any time soon.

I don't like Vista, I don't like the interface, I don't like the hardware requirements, it's an operating system I'll work with, but only grudgingly. I understand some of the things they did with it were for security reasons but I think they made it so that I understand completely why 81% of people who use computers (according to a CNet article I read recently) are still sticking with XP, I know that I'm one of them... ;) -kd5-

Had an opportunity to get a smattering of experience using Windows Vista (Home Premium), I gotta tell ya, if this is the direction M$ wants to take with their operating systems, I'll either be a die-hard XP user or I'll migrate to Linux. I HATE this operating system with a passion... :grr:

Working on a laptop that has an Intel Core 2 Duo (Centrino) processor, 1024mb of PC2 4200 (or some such), trying to figure out how to tweak some settings, shut a few things off to make this a more responsive operating system, just as I would with XP, but finding things in this operating system is a royal time-consuming PITA. Took me 15 minutes just to find Add/Remove Programs (now called Programs and Features :rolleyes: ) just so I could get rid of some pre-installed Dell crap.

Finally found how to change a few settings, installed a few apps, found out that O&O (freeware version) won't work with Vista, installed Auslogic's instead. I'm afraid to try jv16 PowerTools, FreshUI won't work with Vista, M$ hasn't made a "Powertoys For Vista" (TweakUI) yet, Irfanview installed OK but the plugins wouldn't install the first time around, had to have another go of it but got them installed on the 2nd try. Of course Lavasoft hasn't made Ad-aware Vista-compatible yet but Spybot works, as does SpywareBlaster. I haven't installed Avast! yet, (I'm behind a hardware firewall, plus I haven't gone anywhere threatening.....yet) but I have to assume Alwil has done a better job with compatibility than Lavasoft.

I got lucky and didn't have to install any drivers although I updated a couple once everything was up to snuff, but I understand that many hardware/driver compatibility issues are still unresolved/a major issue, and is just one more reason for me to steer well away from Vista on any of my machines.

Every time I want to delete unnecessary links to "Read Me" files (or other such nonsense) in the Start, Programs menu, or delete unwanted desktop icons, now not only do I have to confirm the deletion, but I also have to give Windows "permission" to perform the action as well. And then, with some things, another warning comes up asking me to confirm that confirmation... :pullhair:

Whenever I have to restart the computer, the shut down defaults to "Sleep", (I realize you've always had to physically select which action you want to take, but why would it default to sleep?) I think XP made it as easy as I would like it, having me point and click my selected option, drop-down menus always were kind of a PITA...

M$ has made installing and/or uninstalling applications a major trial with Vista. Confirm the action being taken, confirm the confirmation, give the operating system permission, yada yada yada, what a PITA... :yucky:

They turned a relatively simple Control Panel (with an average of 24 icons) into a complete nightmare (with an average 52 icons.......renamed :hammer: )

I kind of like the way Vista looks, but they made it infinitely more complicated for the average user, and infinitely more of a pain in the butt for those of us who got used to XP and were able to make it behave like previous versions of Windows. I've made a few changes to that end but finding things in Vista has been a real challenge. I'm sure I could get used to it if I used it for a long period of time but from where I sit that's not going to happen any time soon.

I don't like Vista, I don't like the interface, I don't like the hardware requirements, it's an operating system I'll work with, but only grudgingly. I understand some of the things they did with it were for security reasons but I think they made it so that I understand completely why 81% of people who use computers (according to a CNet article I read recently) are still sticking with XP, I know that I'm one of them... ;) -kd5-

that is why i am sticking to XP for as long as i can

I love my Vista...sure it was an 'adventure' at first, but once you get the feel of it and know how to get there from here, it's a great OS! :mrgreen:

Speaking of Apple, I just installed the Quicktime+iTunes combo. In addition to the normal installation routine, I had to give Windows Vista my permission a total of 5 times in order to complete the installation. What a sad sad day it is... :mrsgreen: -kd5-

If you've elevated and given permissions to the Admin account, then you shouldn't have to do that. The default admin is not the elevated account.

I really like Vista, I have it set up and tweaked just right. I like it better than XP. The first thing I do when I install Vista is turn the UAC off. :cr@sh:

Edited by Simonsells91

Keith look around this site for some tweaks.

http://www.speedyvista.com/tweaks.html

Once you know the un needed services you can use this page to make a reg file to do them all at one time.

http://www.speedyvista.com/regGen.html

A bunch of those services work on XP as well. Saves me time doing it manually

If it was my laptop I wouldn't hesitate to elevate priviledges to get rid of the annoyance of having to give permission (endlessly) to use my own computer, but it's not mine and I don't really think I have the right to do that. Come to think of it, if it was my laptop it wouldn't have Windows Vista on it anyway... ;) -kd5-

If you've elevated and given permissions to the Admin account, then you shouldn't have to do that. The default admin is not the elevated account.

Trying to keep yourself busy? :lol:

Migrating to Vista is a lot of work, and it can be painful. At this point, my largest frustration is that the video software that I had been using Camtasia Studio keeps on crashing. Then I bought Pinnacle Studio and it does not work on Vista either.

That's my main gripe is that I have to have a second XP computer just for doing my videos.

Another little gripe. XP has a cool feature where you can type a keyword and it will search INSIDE of the files for that keyword. I can't find that feature anywhere in Vista Home Premium.

There were alot of things I'd gotten comfortable with but were unable to locate in Vista, either gone or replaced by something that was so complicated to use I gave up. One thing I hated was when I installed Quicktime, previously it was a simple matter to de-associate file types that I wanted WMP to handle. With Vista, that has become a nightmare. I'm assuming that since I set WMP to handle their default file types, I've essentially neutered Quicktime which was what I wanted to do in the first place.

I'm dismayed at the number of applications I've grown accustomed to using that don't work anymore with Windows Vista. Even applications that work well with XP (and were designed to be pretty much OS independent) don't work with Vista. It's like Microsoft is counting on people spending more and more of their hard-earned dollars to get, for Vista, what they used to take for granted with Windows XP.

I hate Windows Vista. As far as I'm concerned it can go the way of Windows ME and be ever ridiculed for it's endless array of frustrations. -kd5-

http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4-975958...tml?tag=nl.e415

Although Windows Vista was released back in January 2007, Windows XP still maintains a stranglehold on personal computing. As of June 2007, according to Net Applications, Windows XP is used by 81 percent of all computer users, compared with 5 percent for Vista and 6 percent for Mac OS and MacIntel combined.

:) -kd5-

Another little gripe. XP has a cool feature where you can type a keyword and it will search INSIDE of the files for that keyword. I can't find that feature anywhere in Vista Home Premium.

It's there, just hard to find. Open Explorer and press the Alt key. Go to Tools>Folder Options and click on the Search tab. Click on "Always search file names and contents". Alternatively, you can do a normal search and then scroll to the bottom to the search results. There will be a button there that says "Search in File Contents". I wish they would just put it in the Advanced Search options.

:)

Unfortunately, some things 'look' to be missing in the various versions of Vista. As Simon says (remember that game? :P )... it's all there, but you just have to know how to get there.

I think that's supposed to protect the novice user from altering the built in protection.....and frustrate the advanced user from buying the OS! :hammer:

Unfortunately, some things 'look' to be missing in the various versions of Vista. As Simon says (remember that game? :P )... it's all there, but you just have to know how to get there.

I think that's supposed to protect the novice user from altering the built in protection.....and frustrate the advanced user from buying the OS! :hammer:

I have had Vista since its release and love it, didnt have any problems with drivers or programs, apart from having to update to the latest, which you should do anyway. I found everything easy to find, and I love the eye candy. I figure if you have to look at it , then it may as well look good.

There are many people who feel like you Keith. I've got it on a laptop. Took me two hours to remove and set all the crap on it. I don't like it either.

I'm also facing a lot of problems with vista...hope i would get rid of it soon.

There are many people who feel like you Keith. I've got it on a laptop. Took me two hours to remove and set all the crap on it. I don't like it either.

Who do you keep calling Keith? Sorry, has nothing to do with thread, but was just curious... LOL

Who do you keep calling Keith? Sorry, has nothing to do with thread, but was just curious... LOL

That's his pet name for people that he likes.

yeah, for some reason he keeps calling me gotohellyoudemon. he's so sweet.

Just bought a laptop with Vista Home Premium on it. I'm in total agreement that it sucks. At the point where they get XP to near perfection they come out with Vista. I'm trying to give it a chance but can't find even 1 thing that's better than XP.

I'd like to know if it's possible to install my XP home on this laptop. I keep hearing this is a "Vista machine" and it's not possible. I've tried it but it won't let me replace Vista with an older OS during setup.

Just bought a laptop with Vista Home Premium on it. I'm in total agreement that it sucks. At the point where they get XP to near perfection they come out with Vista. I'm trying to give it a chance but can't find even 1 thing that's better than XP.

I wonder why you bought it then....if you read all negative posts about Vista, you'll surely agree that you hate it.

Take the time to look around and make it your friend...there are many sites on the net to help you.

This is just one example...be sure to click on the tabs:

http://www.winvistaclub.com/index.html

I don't like it either. :pullhair: