Sign in to follow this  
ljay1973

Low graphics performance

I have just completed a complete re-install on my wife's system after some earlier problems with connecting to network. I have solved the connection problems and can get ont the network fine now.

I don't seem to be getting the same quality of graphics when playing games as I was before the re-install.

I have run a test > test results

All seems fine except for the low graphics quality.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Try installing the latest drivers for your card from Nvidia's website. :)

Try installing the latest drivers for your card from Nvidia's website. :)

I checked the nvidia site, and the drivers i have (forceware 162.18) seem to be the latest ones.

I also notice, that the pitstop test reports me running directx 5.

dxdiags reports 9.0c (and im sure thats the one i have installed). could it be the directx is not installed correctly?

That's just the DX version number not the DX type.

Check to see if have have clear type turned on. If you do, turn it off and run the test again.

That's just the DX version number not the DX type.

Check to see if have have clear type turned on. If you do, turn it off and run the test again.

just checked and cleartype is already off

One thing comes to mind is the order you did the installing of the drivers. I believe nVidia wants you to install the drivers post DirectX install. You could always try running the chipset driver install again to make sure it installed with the DirectX correctly.

Something is up though cause normally when you view the video card details in the pit test it will show you the monitor information and your test doesn't show it. You could click on my TechExpress link and look at mine to see what I am referring to.

One thing comes to mind is the order you did the installing of the drivers. I believe nVidia wants you to install the drivers post DirectX install. You could always try running the chipset driver install again to make sure it installed with the DirectX correctly.

Something is up though cause normally when you view the video card details in the pit test it will show you the monitor information and your test doesn't show it. You could click on my TechExpress link and look at mine to see what I am referring to.

re-installed in that order (pretty sure i did it that way first time round, but wanted to be sure) still getting same performance :(

tried re-installing all drivers etc.. still getting the same problem :( anyone have any idea's of other things to try?

Did you uninstall the drivers before reinstalling them? I read on the Nvidia site that you should use Add|Remove in Control Panel to uninstall all Nvidia files. Reboot the computer and install the new ones.

I hope this works.

completely removed all the nvidia drivers, using the driver cleaner software. re-installed and still getting low performance from my card :(

here is link to my latest test > latest test

anyone have any more ideas please?

I'm curious about the RUNDLL32.EXE running on your system. Do you by chance know what it might be?

You could go here and have it scan your system and maybe get some more info on it.

http://www.fileresearchcenter.com/whatsrun....html?tag=INDEX

i've used the link and nothing out of the ordinary showed up. Also done a search on the RUNDLL32.exe and full virus and spyware scans and everything seems fine there.

Was thinking of doing another complete re-install (there is currently only a very few programs installed, so if im going to do it, now is the time :P) just incase something did go wrong during the install of drivers.

If I do go down this road. i was going to just install Windows XP, then the SP2 upgrade, then the 6.86 Nforce drivers. Then DirectX 9.0c, and then the 162.18 forceware drivers for the video.

Would this be the correct order to install, and is there anything else I should be installing before testing again?

Ok

Now done a complete re-install of Windows Xp with Sp2

installed directx 9.0c

installed nforce 6.86 chipset drivers

installed nvidia forceware 162.18 video drivers

installed avast anti-virus

installed spybot search and destroy

still getting video quality lower than I used to :(

latest test link > latest test

is there something I am missing?

is there software I can get to test my graphics card?

As a recap, my system is

Windows XP pro +SP2

Motherboard A8NE-FM

Bios - Phoenix- AwardBios v6.00PG

AMD Athlon 64 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz

1536 RAM

Nvidia GeForce 7300 GS 512MB

DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Ok

Now done a complete re-install of Windows Xp with Sp2

installed directx 9.0c

installed nforce 6.86 chipset drivers

installed nvidia forceware 162.18 video drivers

installed avast anti-virus

installed spybot search and destroy

still getting video quality lower than I used to :(

latest test link > latest test

is there something I am missing?

is there software I can get to test my graphics card?

As a recap, my system is

Windows XP pro +SP2

Motherboard A8NE-FM

Bios - Phoenix- AwardBios v6.00PG

AMD Athlon 64 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz

1536 RAM

Nvidia GeForce 7300 GS 512MB

DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

I see that you have Nvidia GeForce 7300 GS ,just like me

I had the same problem with even lower video perfomance than yours!

I fixed it(somehow) when I installed from NVIDIA a 3D stereo driver but I don't know if it's safe to do this since although I have now 50% of the original video perfomance(wich is quite good),whenever I make a driver scan it shows me that I have the wrong driver!

But as I said my video perfomance got better!(but my pc still freezes whenever I play lineage 2 :P )

Anyway if you want me to post a link to try it out just say so!

Ooo and don't to forget to go at NVdia control panel and move the bar all the way to the left for better video perfomance!

Posted Image

i ran everest,and here are the details of the chipset and pci (hope these are the right details, let me know if any other details would help)

Chipset

North Bridge: nVIDIA nForce4-4X (CK8-04)

North Bridge: AMD Hammer IMC

South Bridge: nVIDIA MCP04

North Bridge Properties

North Bridge nVIDIA nForce4-4X (CK8-04)

Revision A3

Process Technology 0.13 um

PCI Express Controller

PCI-E x16 port #0 In Use @ x16 (nVIDIA G72 Video Adapter)

PCI-E x1 port #1 Empty

PCI-E x1 port #2 Empty

PCI-E x2 port #3 Empty

PCI/AGP

nVIDIA G72 - Video Adapter

nVIDIA G72 - 3D Accelerator

this is really confusing me, as I have re-installed several times in the past onthis computer, and never had this problem before

i ran everest,and here are the details of the chipset and pci (hope these are the right details, let me know if any other details would help)

Chipset

North Bridge: nVIDIA nForce4-4X (CK8-04)

North Bridge: AMD Hammer IMC

South Bridge: nVIDIA MCP04

North Bridge Properties

North Bridge nVIDIA nForce4-4X (CK8-04)

Revision A3

Process Technology 0.13 um

PCI Express Controller

PCI-E x16 port #0 In Use @ x16 (nVIDIA G72 Video Adapter)

PCI-E x1 port #1 Empty

PCI-E x1 port #2 Empty

PCI-E x2 port #3 Empty

PCI/AGP

nVIDIA G72 - Video Adapter

nVIDIA G72 - 3D Accelerator

this is really confusing me, as I have re-installed several times in the past onthis computer, and never had this problem before

After trying all of that I think you my have a bad vid card HAVE you checked your clock settings on your card are they set on default or have you got it oced.

After trying all of that I think you my have a bad vid card HAVE you checked your clock settings on your card are they set on default or have you got it oced.

I have not changed the clock settings on the card, so i am assuming they should be on default, will check this when I get home from work.

The card was working fine previous to re-installing windows, is there much chance of the card developing a fault between installs?

I did install a game to test settings (Everquest 2) and it does seem to be running much better than it was after the initial re-install (although not quite as good as it was prior). The pittest still show low performance though.