Sign in to follow this  
KRAM

SUPERAntiSpyware

Hi. I downloaded the paid version after such a rave-review (I even listed the source as [email protected]). But, I have a couple of questions:

(1) Do I still need Ad-Aware, Spybot, Advanced Windows Care and Windows Defender?

(2). Also, when I installed it, ran the scan as they stated I should, rebooted as directed. The only item in my taskbar was SuperAntiSpyware. Everything else had been turned off. I had to reopen WinPatrol, AVG, LinkScanner-Lite, Zone Alarm and a couple of other little apps. s it shut them off all the time, or just initially?

Hello rgsmile,

let me try to answer your questions. You only need One Anti-virus running in "real time protection", and only one firewall, and only one anti-spyware program running in "real time protection".

If you have 2 av's running at the same time they will conflict and do more harm than good. This is kind of true with anti-spyware programs that are running in "real time protection". It also would eat up lots of resources on your pc needlessly.

So, you can keep spybot ( as long as tea timer is disabled ), and you can keep Ad-Aware as a "on demand scanner" if you wish. I am not too fond of the Advanced Windows Care and Windows Defender as Jacee also stated. They are fine for people who can not afford to buy anti-spyware programs. And they sure protect a pc better than no anti-spyware programs at all. You can keep both if you are able to prevent them from running in "real time" and stop them from running at start up. That way you could use those 2 as "on demand scanners"

Best thing though IMO, would be to remove atleast the windows defender since you now have paid for SuperAntiSpyware. The Link scanner is fine, as well as Winpatrol to keep running.

Bottom line is, you only really need SuperAntiSpyware for your "real time protection" against spyware, and one AV running in "real time protection", and one firewall. You can keep as many anti-spyware type programs as you wish on your pc, provided they are not all running in "real time protection".

The things law9933 mentioned are fine to use since they do not interfere with your other programs at all.

Spyware blaster is very good to use. http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

And get a good host program like the one I use , if you do not have one already> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm ( read it all carefully and then download the host file as instructed there ) A good companion to use with that is, free> http://www.funkytoad.com/content/view/13/31/

I think you will throughly like the paid version of SuperAntiSpyware, it is superb. I hope I answered your questions good enough. If not, ask away. :)

Wademan

Edited by Wademan

That's good to know WinPatrol can be run without conflict as I wasn't sure about that one, could I just confirm about SpywareGuard please ?

That's good to know WinPatrol can be run without conflict as I wasn't sure about that one, could I just confirm about SpywareGuard please ?

That is a good question. If running spyware guard and SuperAntiSpyware ( in real time protect mode) it could be a conflict. I have never used both at same time, so can not give you a honest answer on that.

This is what the site says:

SpywareGuard is a work-in-progress.

We cannot guarantee that it will not conflict with other security software on your machine.

However we do strive to fix any compatibility problems that may arise.

If you are worried about potential compatibility issues with SpywareGuard, we recommend you download SpywareBlaster instead.

So, I honestly do not know. Did you buy SuperAntiSpyware as well? If so you can only try and see if they conflict with each other. They will take up resources needlessly though.

Wademan

Edited by Wademan

I've always used both TBH, they go hand in hand with each other, but now this real time issue is becoming more known I wasn't sure about it with say tea timer, but I only use the free versions as I can't afford to pay for them on my disability pension, especially with the amount of free protection around, so tea timer is the only real time protection running so to speak, hence wondering about SpywareGuard.

Hello rgsmile,

let me try to answer your questions. You only need One Anti-virus running in "real time protection", and only one firewall, and only one anti-spyware program running in "real time protection".

If you have 2 av's running at the same time they will conflict and do more harm than good. This is kind of true with anti-spyware programs that are running in "real time protection". It also would eat up lots of resources on your pc needlessly.

So, you can keep spybot ( as long as tea timer is disabled ), and you can keep Ad-Aware as a "on demand scanner" if you wish. I am not too fond of the Advanced Windows Care and Windows Defender as Jacee also stated. They are fine for people who can not afford to buy anti-spyware programs. And they sure protect a pc better than no anti-spyware programs at all. You can keep both if you are able to prevent them from running in "real time" and stop them from running at start up. That way you could use those 2 as "on demand scanners"

Best thing though IMO, would be to remove atleast the windows defender since you now have paid for SuperAntiSpyware. The Link scanner is fine, as well as Winpatrol to keep running.

Bottom line is, you only really need SuperAntiSpyware for your "real time protection" against spyware, and one AV running in "real time protection", and one firewall. You can keep as many anti-spyware type programs as you wish on your pc, provided they are not all running in "real time protection".

The things law9933 mentioned are fine to use since they do not interfere with your other programs at all.

Spyware blaster is very good to use. http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

And get a good host program like the one I use , if you do not have one already> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm ( read it all carefully and then download the host file as instructed there ) A good companion to use with that is, free> http://www.funkytoad.com/content/view/13/31/

I think you will throughly like the paid version of SuperAntiSpyware, it is superb. I hope I answered your questions good enough. If not, ask away. :)

Wademan

Thanks, Wademan, for the response and the original tip.

I do have SpywareGuard and Spywareblaster. They also did not auto-start this AM. Neither did my Zone Alarm, or AVG. I only have the 'needed' apps running in real time.

I did notice this AM, that My WinPatrol startup listing has completely changed. I'll have to double check in all my startup apps tio make sure they are set for auto-start. I thought I did last night, but it won't hurt to doublecheck.

PS: I never got any of these posts from the pit (in my e-mail), even though I amk subscribed. Mmmmm

Hope you can help with the auto-start problem. Thanking you in advance.

I just removed the Windows Defender and Advanced Windows Care and rebooted and the same thing happens. SpywareGuard, AVG, Zone Alarm and others did not show in the task bar and are not listed in the startup of WinPatrol.

Frustrating to have to go thru all the re-starts.

How do I relist them in WinPatrol. I clicked the "add" button, but that doesn't help me to re-list them. If I could get them in WP, then maybe they would auto-start. Hmmnnnn.

Wow. Are you saying, you bought SuperAntiSpyware, downloaded it, an ran it, then your whole pc is messed up? :blink: I have no clue how this could happen. Off the top of my head you could do a system restore, go back to before you even downloaded SuperAntiSpyware, then try an re-download it. I have never heard of anything like this before.

You may have to contact there customer support> http://www.superantispyware.com/csrcreateticket.html I will research this, but could take all day to find a answer for this. you can also look through here> http://www.superantispyware.com/support.html

I would submit a support ticket ASAP to them. Or try the System restore idea. Sadly, this thread is now looking like this program is junk, and it is not. It is highly used in HJT fixes and more.

Wademan

I've always used both TBH, they go hand in hand with each other, but now this real time issue is becoming more known I wasn't sure about it with say tea timer, but I only use the free versions as I can't afford to pay for them on my disability pension, especially with the amount of free protection around, so tea timer is the only real time protection running so to speak, hence wondering about SpywareGuard.

Sorry, I almost missed your post with all the other questions here.

Anyways, are you asking if you can use Spybot ( tea timer ON ) and spyware guard together?if so I would see no problem with that scenario. And you could keep things like SuperAntiSpyware, for your on demand scanning. Hope this helps 8210GUY ..

Wademan

Wow. Are you saying, you bought SuperAntiSpyware, downloaded it, an ran it, then your whole pc is messed up? :blink: I have no clue how this could happen. Off the top of my head you could do a system restore, go back to before you even downloaded SuperAntiSpyware, then try an re-download it. I have never heard of anything like this before.

You may have to contact there customer support> http://www.superantispyware.com/csrcreateticket.html I will research this, but could take all day to find a answer for this. you can also look through here> http://www.superantispyware.com/support.html

I would submit a support ticket ASAP to them. Or try the System restore idea. Sadly, this thread is now looking like this program is junk, and it is not. It is highly used in HJT fixes and more.

Wademan

Please don't think I'm knocking the SAS, as I am not. I'm just trying to work thru the issue of my auto-start-apps. I did send their support team a request for help with this problem. I will let you know the solution. I'll wait til I hear from them before I mess with a restore.

Thanks again for your rwesponse.

PS: I'm still not getting responses from this post in my e-mail. I have to use another pit-post to get here. Could moderator check anjd see if something is wrong?

Please don't think I'm knocking the SAS, as I am not. I'm just trying to work thru the issue of my auto-start-apps. I did send their support team a request for help with this problem. I will let you know the solution. I'll wait til I hear from them before I mess with a restore.

Thanks again for your rwesponse.

PS: I'm still not getting responses from this post in my e-mail. I have to use another pit-post to get here. Could moderator check anjd see if something is wrong?

Hi again,

I have researched this alot, and no good answers yet. Unfortunately I don't have hours to devote to this right now, but will continue later. Please let us know when SAS emails you back with a fix. I am sorry you had this problem. :(

We will get this fixed somehow.

Wademan

Sorry, I almost missed your post with all the other questions here.

Anyways, are you asking if you can use Spybot ( tea timer ON ) and spyware guard together?if so I would see no problem with that scenario. And you could keep things like SuperAntiSpyware, for your on demand scanning. Hope this helps 8210GUY ..

Wademan

NP's easy done, I thought it best to stay in this thread as it's covering the same sort of thing, so apology's to all if it seems like hijacking it, that wasn't my intention, just to widen the initial query as it's on the same lines.

Basically I've always understood SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster to work hand in hand together complementing each other, SpywareBlaster is not an issue as it does not have real time cover, it simply adds to the hosts file known bad sites, but as SpywareGuard sits in the task bar I am unclear as to if this counts as real time protection, more so would it conflict with ANY other real time protection such as tea timer, or the SUPERAntiSpyware for example (plus others not mentioned here), I know I can shut tea timer off to make it a standalone scanner, but ultimately I guess what I'm getting down to, and I believe that everyone else here is as well, what is the best combo of protection free (and paid for those who can afford it) software a person can run in real time to maximise safety and minimise conflict\risk ?

I know it's a hard question as things are always changing, but I guess it's the real time protection would want to know about mainly as all the other software mentioned can be run as standalone scanners.

As to the start up programs I have seen this sort of thing happen before, I've concluded over time that other installed software is not being given the yes\confirmed OK to run at start up that some stuff always asks for, such as WinPatrol, by not having it running when you install it never gets to ask if it's OK, as such it assumes it's denied, and therefore wont run, Spybot is another that requires permission, so as I say this is a theory I have come to after years of installing these things, and it's only recently I've started installing stuff without shutting down running programs first, since then it seems fine as it jumps up and asks as soon as your installing, just watch out for the confirmation just as you hit the reboot button lol.

There is a good free solution though, AutoPatcher used to have it as an option which is where I first came across it, but I don't think they still do it, but you can get it on it's own, it's called start up manager, you can add start up programs to several groups, just right click in the window and click add, then browse to what you want, if you add it to a window it doesn't allow it will disappear, just repeat using another window.

Same with WinPatrol, click on the start up tab then right click in the window and select add, then browse to the program you want to add, you can do the same in the delayed start window, so in effect they aren't set to auto start, BUT, they will auto start launched by WinPatrol at whatever delay you set it to, it's gives 10 second increments, so you can stagger the starting up of everything taking a bit of strain of the start up, see if either of these ideas help.

Hi again,

I have researched this alot, and no good answers yet. Unfortunately I don't have hours to devote to this right now, but will continue later. Please let us know when SAS emails you back with a fix. I am sorry you had this problem. :(

We will get this fixed somehow.

Wademan

After going back and forth with SAS and re-installing winPatrol, I resolved the problem by using Erunt to set my registry back to Sunday night and now it seems that almost everything is ok. I did have to re-install SAS, after using Erunt.

SAS said they had never run across that problem and were very nice about it. They really couldn't help me , but it was another learning experience. It must have been caused by my Gateway and 3000 other coincidences.

I still can't get SpywareGuard to load as a start-up item in WinPatrol. I used their add button, but must not have picked the right sub-set in SpywareGuard.

So, Wademan, rest assured it wasn't SAS that caused the problem and I'm looking forward to using it in the future. So, many thanks again for the tip.

rgsmile

rgsmile,

So glad you got most of this fixed. I had no doubts that SAS would not cause all this, but something sure did go wrong on your particular set up. In just the last 3 days I have seen several HJT Advisor's in the HJT forum use SAS. It's used because its free, and very powerful.

As for why WinPatrol is not showing spyware guard in start up list, I have no clue. Is spyware guard not running for sure or is it just WinPatrol not showing it? It is very odd all this happened after getting SAS. You have free version or full of WP? Maybe re-installing spyware guard would help.

lurkingatu2, ty for posting your positive feedback of SAS. :)

Wademan

Edited by Wademan

I still can't get SpywareGuard to load as a start-up item in WinPatrol. I used their add button, but must not have picked the right sub-set in SpywareGuard.

The process to select is SGMAIN.EXE, thats whats listed in my WinPatrol, or as I said above start up manager is a great little program that controls ALL your start up requirements. ;)

The process to select is SGMAIN.EXE, thats whats listed in my WinPatrol, or as I said above start up manager is a great little program that controls ALL your start up requirements. ;)

I changed it to SGMAIN.EXE last night and all seems well this AM. Thanks for the confirmation, that I finally had it right.

Do you happen to know the proper setting for Spywareblaster? I've got it set (with the main .exe), but it loads up when I boot, which, in a sense is OK, as I can make sure it is updated.

Sorry not sure I follow what your asking there ?

Do you mean SpywareBlaster ? if so it doesn't load at boot, and it doesn't cover you in real time, you run manual updates then enable protection for any new updates and thats it, unless you have the paid version for auto updates ? if so try sbautoupdate and see if that helps.

Sorry not sure I follow what your asking there ?

Do you mean SpywareBlaster ? if so it doesn't load at boot, and it doesn't cover you in real time, you run manual updates then enable protection for any new updates and thats it, unless you have the paid version for auto updates ? if so try sbautoupdate and see if that helps.

I just happened to check and see if you had replied. I'm not getting any "Pit" eimails from the 'subscribed' posts.

Yes, SpywareBlaster. I thought it ran quietly in realtime. I just have their free version.

Thanks, 8210GUY, for the info.

Well I could be wrong but my understanding is it just updates the host's file, once done thats it until next update, but someone may know better, but thats my understanding of it.

You're right, SpywareBlaster doesn't run in the background. However, it doesn't use the HOSTS file.

-SpywareBlaster works by settings "kill bits" in the registry. These "kill

bit" registry entries are set for the spyware ActiveX CLSIDs (unqiue IDs

that identify an ActiveX control). When a kill bit is set for a CLSID, the

ActiveX control that uses that CLSID cannot install itself via your browser,

nor can it run if it already installed. Microsoft sometimes uses these kill

bits for fixing Active-X security holes.

Yeah your right, I would of known it wasn't the hosts file if I wasn't so frazzled with this problem system, I don't think I'd of known that though, I just knew it only ran when you updated and that was it until next time, Thanks for the info.

I didn't know either, but I was curious and Google is my friend :lol:

I didn't know either, but I was curious and Google is my friend :lol:

Thanks, Gentlemen, it just goes to show how great the "Pit" is!

Yep, many a time in a simple query I copy the persons own question into google and what a surprise, theres the answer lol, but I'm too involved with this other system to have to time to go a googgling ATM, let alone the legal implications of googgling if you get caught ROFL. :mrsgreen: