Sign in to follow this  
KRAM

SUPERAntiSpyware

I was gonna PM you about that Wademan. I tried that program recently (before I went to the hospital) on a heavily infected virtual machine. A little mix of Vundo, Zlob, fake codecs, and some rogue programs. It worked great, and removed a lot of stuff. It definitely worked better than AVG Anti-Spyware, which is usually the first program I recommend. Where did you get the canned speech for it?

Anyway, awesome program :)

Edited by Simonsells91

Thank you very much Kram for your kind words :blushing:

SuperAntiSpyware is a top notch malware fighting machine. I love it. That and Google an 40+ other tools are my best friends. :lol:

Simon, the canned is one I made and/or adjusted. I got those skills form HJT training. I am still learning and I am Far from perfect at making them, but I try. I think just about everyone should have SuperAntiSpyware as a "on demand" scanner.It IS free afterall, and very powerful.

The paid version is well worth the money as well. I use myself though ,as a Trojan/anti-spyware program a2, the paid version, its just as good as SuperAntiSpyware. http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/

I have to say a double thanks to Kram, because sometimes you just don't get thanked much in pc forums for fighting malware or you are just over looked, etc. I appreciate that Kram. :)

Wademan

Edited by Wademan

SuperAntiSpyware is a top notch malware fighting machine. I love it. That and Google an 40+ other tools are my best friends. :lol:

Simon, the canned is one I made and/or adjusted. I got those skills form HJT training. I am still learning and I am Far from perfect at making them, but I try. I think just about everyone should have SuperAntiSpyware as a "on demand" scanner.It IS free afterall, and very powerful.

The paid version is well worth the money as well. I use myself though ,as a Trojan/anti-spyware program a2, the paid version, its just as good as SuperAntiSpyware. http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/

I have to say a double thanks to Kram, because sometimes you just don't get thanked much in pc forums for fighting malware or you are just over looked, etc. I appreciate that Kram. :)

Wademan

So, should i switch from Yahoo online protection to this one?

el kido,

You mean the yahoo all in one suite? It's not very good, but sure beats nothing, and in most cases it's free. If you can afford to pay for such protection there are better choices. SuperAntiSpyware ( free versions ) does NOT protect in Real-time mode. You would have to purchase it for that.

You could dump the yahoo, if its the one I mentioned above. And make your own suite. Like for example,

Use avg free av> http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download-free-...-virus/us/frt/0 or Avast free av> http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html then add for spyware, Windows free one> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx that would be better protection than the "all-in -one suite" by Yahoo.

Hope this helps you with your question, if not ask some more. :)

Wademan

Edited by Wademan

el kido,

You mean the yahoo all in one suite? It's not very good, but sure beats nothing, and in most cases it's free. If you can afford to pay for such protection there are better choices. SuperAntiSpyware ( free versions ) does NOT protect in Real-time mode. You would have to purchase it for that.

You could dump the yahoo, if its the one I mentioned above. And make your own suite. Like for example,

Use avg free av> http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download-free-...-virus/us/frt/0 or Avast free av> http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html then add for spyware, Windows free one> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx that would be better protection than the "all-in -one suite" by Yahoo.

Hope this helps you with your question, if not ask some more. :)

Wademan

I have never had a virus on my PC, but my Dell has been infected and the Yahoo one barely did the job.

so if i use those, I should be better off?

also, can you post them like this?

it makes it easier to click, its really jumbled up??

it makes it look cleaner, especially to new pit members

thanks!

Edited by el kido

Well I may be using your canned speech, if you don't mind. I don't like typing too much all by myself. :mrgreen:

Well I may be using your canned speech, if you don't mind. I don't like typing too much all by myself. :mrgreen:

That is fine,as we all here to help fight malware. Can't just copy/paste a canned speech though, as they are coded. This isnt the place to post the codes either. HJT training is the place for that, and Simon you are in one of those. :)

Wademan

el kido

I have never had a virus on my PC, but my Dell has been infected and the Yahoo one barely did the job.

so if i use those, I should be better off?

Yes you would be "better off" ask any TrustedAdvisor.... :)

Wademan

el kido,

SuperAntiSpyware ( free versions ) does NOT protect in Real-time mode. You would have to purchase it for that.

what did you mean by that

Edited by el kido

Exactly what it says TBH, real time protection jumps up the minute a threat is found, the free version does not do this, BUT, it does scan on a manual basis whenever you run it, you can also right click on files and select to scan with to check fresh downloads, been using it a fair while now myself.

Only thing putting me off installing it on a mates vista 64 bit system I'm building is the UAC, I think thats behind it anyway, basically every time you boot you have to grant permission for it to run\launch, anyone know of a way to stop this annoyance without shutting down the UAC ?

Exactly what it says TBH, real time protection jumps up the minute a threat is found, the free version does not do this, BUT, it does scan on a manual basis whenever you run it, you can also right click on files and select to scan with to check fresh downloads, been using it a fair while now myself.

Only thing putting me off installing it on a mates vista 64 bit system I'm building is the UAC, I think thats behind it anyway, basically every time you boot you have to grant permission for it to run\launch, anyone know of a way to stop this annoyance without shutting down the UAC ?

did you try going in msconfig?

That wont solve it for 2 reasons, firstly you shouldn't use msconfig to stop programs in vista, you should use the services instead, and secondly I want it to start, I just don't want to have to mess around giving permission every time I reboot, but Thanks for the thought anyway.

That wont solve it for 2 reasons, firstly you shouldn't use msconfig to stop programs in vista, you should use the services instead, and secondly I want it to start, I just don't want to have to mess around giving permission every time I reboot, but Thanks for the thought anyway.

maybe you messed up in the install. Like some programs say always run on startup type of things.

QUOTE(Wademan @ 8:54pm Sat Aug 18 2007)

el kido,

SuperAntiSpyware ( free versions ) does NOT protect in Real-time mode. You would have to purchase it for that.

what did you mean by that

Meaning it does NOT run in real time protection ( the free version ),the paid version does. This is true with most security software, AVG Anti-spyware does the same thing ( free version ), I could list 20 more that don't offer "real time protection" for the free versions but serve as superb "on demand' Anti-malware scanner"s".

Real time protection, means its running in the back ground, an will block most malware from even getting on the pc. Without "real time protection" malware can easily get on the pc if user does not have some real time protection running. On demand scanning is where user opens programs when they choose and they run the scanner. Most on demand scanners, SuperAntiSpyware included, will clean the pc, and remove many/most infections.

SuperAntiSpyware is used a great deal in HJT analysis and will continue to be used. KRAM started this thread just to say how great it works, and this is a proven fact. Hope this makes it clearer.

Wademan

Edited by Wademan

Meaning it does NOT run in real time protection ( the free version ),the paid version does. This is true with most security software, AVG Anti-spyware does the same thing ( free version ), I could list 20 more that don't offer "real time protection" for the free versions but serve as superb "on demand' Anti-malware scanner"s".

Real time protection, means its running in the back ground, an will block most malware from even getting on the pc. Without "real time protection" malware can easily get on the pc if user does not have some real time protection running. On demand scanning is where user opens programs when they choose and they run the scanner. Most on demand scanners, SuperAntiSpyware included, will clean the pc, and remove many/most infections.

SuperAntiSpyware is used a great deal in HJT analysis and will continue to be used. KRAM started this thread just to say how great it works, and this is a proven fact. Hope this makes it clearer.

Wademan

If i use the ones you recomended, will that take up more resources?

el kido, if you mean SuperAntiSpyware ( free edition ) ,it won't take up any resources, except, when of course you run the scanner. It will not run in the back ground and will not conflict with any other programs. This is true of many other free anti-malware programs.

Always good to have several Anti-malware programs on your pc the are "on demand" type scanners, such as Spybot, and SuperAntiSpyware. a2 free is another great one> http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

Also to answer the other question here about SuperAntiSpyware running at startup, is to open SuperAntiSpyware, and Select "Preferences", now "uncheck "Run SuperAntiSpyware when windows starts". That should help.

Wademan

Edited by Wademan

maybe you messed up in the install. Like some programs say always run on startup type of things.

I didn't mess anything up, it's doing exactly as it should when you install it, I've been using it a few years myself so am reasonably familiar with the settings, it's vista thats causing the issue.

Also to answer the other question here about SuperAntiSpyware running at startup, is to open SuperAntiSpyware, and Select "Preferences", now "uncheck "Run SuperAntiSpyware when windows starts". That should help.

Wademan

Yeah I know I can set it to not run at start up, but I tend to like it that way as I find it quicker to run an update by simply right clicking on it rather than having to launch it, I'm just wondering if theres a way to stop vista asking for permission for it to run every time it boots.

The only thing I can think of is to elevate the Administrator and permissions. Try that and then turn UAC back on (Elevated admin will have to have a password, which I'm sure you know)

Not sure I totally follow you there Jacee, I leave the UAC on during the install so I don't forget to re-enable it again after lol, I just put up with the having to grant permission each time I install, and when I install I do it via right click and run as admin to ensure it has access to what it needs (I've come across a few that mess up if you don't), and currently theres no password, I'll be adding that after the install is complete.

I'm currently zeroing the drive again as I started getting the flaming video errors again (the troublesome board), so this time round I'm just hoping it is a simple driver issue causing it, hence clearing the drive then see how I go, I'll try and look up what you suggest and give it a try when I get it installed again, Thanks for the tip.

Wademan

Hi. I downloaded the paid version after such a rave-review (I even listed the source as [email protected]). But, I have a couple of questions:

(1) Do I still need Ad-Aware, Spybot, Advanced Windows Care and Windows Defender?

(2). Also, when I installed it, ran the scan as they stated I should, rebooted as directed. The only item in my taskbar was SuperAntiSpyware. Everything else had been turned off. I had to reopen WinPatrol, AVG, LinkScanner-Lite, Zone Alarm and a couple of other little apps. s it shut them off all the time, or just initially?

Thanking you in advance for any help.

rgsmile

Edited by rgsmile

Hi. I downloaded the paid version after such a rave-review (I even listed the source as [email protected]). But, I have a couple of questions:

(1) Do I still need Ad-Aware, Spybot, Advanced Windows Care and Windows Defender?

(2). Also, when I installed it, ran the scan as they stated I should, rebooted as directed. The only item in my taskbar was SuperAntiSpyware. Everything else had been turned off. I had to reopen WinPatrol, AVG, LinkScanner-Lite, Zone Alarm and a couple of other little apps. s it shut them off all the time, or just initially?

Thanking you in advance for any help.

rgsmile

I was gonna ask the same thing. Hurry, Wademan, answer him! I need to know to!

Well speaking personally the more tools the better, and considering most if not all of what you mentioned are standalone scanners I say keep them all, I know I do, no single program can catch everything, so the others are just like reinforcements, and as they are only run manually they wont interfere with anything else on a daily basis, but I must admit a little clarification over real time protection would be great, I mean Spybot tea timer can be turned off to make it an on demand scanner, as with defender I believe, what I'm not sure about is if defender qualifies as real time to cause conflicts or not, same with WinPatrol, but my guess is LinkScanner should be fine as it's the lite version so therefore not real time, but I've never had my other programs not run after a reboot from it.

I'm not extra fond of either one of these apps:

Advanced Windows Care and Windows Defender

After you download a new app...clean all temps and defrag. Reboot normally.

If building your own suite Spyware Guard, Spyware Blaster, & IE-SPYAD should be included the last I knew. They do real time protection. Maybe have HJT preinstalled if thing go really bad. I read & like to learn from all of you pros. Use all mentioned programs, ran manually at different times, all free.

If you update manually, this site lists daily what is new.

http://www.dozleng.com/updates/calendar.html