Change Mode

[Vista] How to find available free memory?

aeroman10

In XP when you look at the performance tab of the Task Manager you can see how much free physical memory in MB you have. On the Vista computer I am on now it shows:

Total: 2046

Cached: 1520

Free: 7

This number must mean something different than what XP is showing because its impossible that there is 7 MB free memory. So how do you find out how much available free ram you have in Vista?

Vista caches memory like Linux, so you will notice a lot less free memory than operating systems that do not do this, such as XP. If it only says 7MB free memory, then you only have 7MB free at the moment.

Vista caches memory like Linux, so you will notice a lot less free memory than operating systems that do not do this, such as XP. If it only says 7MB free memory, then you only have 7MB free at the moment.

So its cached + free = the same number as total free available that you see in XP?

Seems like that...if I go to System Information and view free memory there thats what it basically adds up to.

Total Memory : 2075004 kB

Free Memory : 1168964 kB

Buffers : 34136 kB

Cached : 520784 kB

Cached Swap : 0 kB

Active : 562484 kB

Inactive : 287228 kB

High Memory : 1178496 kB

Free High Memory : 355524 kB

Low Memory : 896508 kB

Free Low Memory : 813440 kB

Virtual Memory : 0 kB

Free Virtual Memory : 0 kB

Dirty : 0 kB

Writeback : 0 kB

AnonPages : 294632 kB

Mapped : 73828 kB

Slab : 27204 kB

SReclaimable : 15060 kB

SUnreclaim : 12144 kB

PageTables : 2024 kB

NFS_Unstable : 0 kB

Bounce : 0 kB

CommitLimit : 1037500 kB

Committed_AS : 618452 kB

VmallocTotal : 114680 kB

VmallocUsed : 10264 kB

VmallocChunk : 103928 kB

Caching things in memory is a great way to speed things up. That's why Vista, Linux, Mac OSX, BSD, and pretty much every modern OS aside from Windows XP do it.

This will explain it better than I could: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000688.html

So its cached + free = the same number as total free available that you see in XP?

Seems like that...if I go to System Information and view free memory there thats what it basically adds up to.

Yes that is exactly it.

All operating systems cache memory, many to make you feel better don't include the cache as "used" memory in their reporting, but instead call it free memory.

Archived