Change Mode

Speed?

Hi,

Seams you asked these sort of questions before, see here> http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?show...142636&st=0 Your internet speed is more than fine, in fact its doubled what a normal dial up person has. The slower upload speed is 100% normal for a dial up connection as what was greatly discussed in the thread above for you.

I assume the faster dial up is do to the AOL top speed software. I do not use AOL, so can not say for sure about that. However, I can say your dial up speed is as high as possible. Only way to increase it is to get cable or DSL. Adding more Ram or anything to your pc will not help this. I would rejoyce if I had to use dialup an got your speeds. :)

On a side note you could update your Java sweetpotato to help secure your pc better, to get latest version> Your Java Runtime Environment is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update.

Updating Java:

• Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u2.
  • Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Enviroinment (JRE) 6u2, The Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • The page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language and save it to your desktop (13.16 MB).
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially any web browsers.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u2-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.
Again, I say your question about your internet speed, is : your speed is as good as its going to get for a dialup connection. ;)

Wademan

Sorry about the repeat. Just seemed to be slower than normal lately and also I should probably read about disk speeds, cause by just reading the results, for me anyway, it seems like it's referring to my computer rather than my connection. Again, sorry and thanks. I am very computer illiterate :blushing:

Hi,

So, you must be refering to the disk speeds.It was unclear in your question. Sounded like you meant the Internet speed, and since you asked about that before I thought you was having problems with it again. lol

Well your Uncached speed is 14 MB/s (46%) That is indeed slower than normal. It could be that the drive is just getting old. Hard drives do slow down as they age and yours appears to be over 3 years old. Also the drive is alittle full, this can slow it down as well. You have 54% free space, windows will run much better if its kept at 70-80 free space.

Try using the ccleaner we gave you. Clean up drive with it. Also try an put some items on cd's since you have a cd burner. Things like , music, video, games, pics, etc can take up lots of space. Or use the extra hard drive you have to store things on. Speed should improve if you can free up drive some. If you can get it between 65-70% that would be great. And then defragment drive. You have 7% defragmentation.

Also adjust size of the recycle bin. It can set aside several gigs of hard drive space just for its use. That is way unnecessary and wastes valuable hard drive space. Right click the recycle bin on your desk top, then select "properties" there you will see a "slider", move it to the left, 4-6% is plenty of space to set it at. This will free up some space.

Now, your hard drive shows in the test as Western Digital, So get this to test your drive from them. > Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows> http://support.wdc.com/download/downloadxml.asp Scroll way down to get the free utility, Make sure its this one> Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

Version Version 1.09b

Publish Date March, 2007

Instructions>> Download the Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, WinDLG.zip

Extract and run the program, windlg.exe. If running Windows Vista, you will need to Right-Click on the windlg.exe file and choose to Run As Administrator.

Read and accept the license agreement to continue.

On the main program screen, there are two windows. In the top window, you will see the drives in your system, that are available for testing. The model number, serial number, and capacity of each drive will be displayed. In the bottom window, the partition information for the selected drive will be displayed.

Highlight the drive and select the icon on the top row to test or run SMART status.

The DLGDIAG - Select an Option window appears.

You will see the following options:

QUICK TEST - performs SMART drive quick self-test to gather and verify the Data Lifeguard information contained on the drive.

EXTENDED TEST - performs a Full Media Scan to detect bad sectors. Test may take several hours to complete depending on the size of the drive.

WRITE ZEROS - writes zeros to the drive with options of Full Erase and Quick Erase. File system and data will be lost.

VIEW TEST RESULT - displays the latest test results.

Select the test you wish to perform and click the Start button.

When the test completes, you will be notified with a pass/fail message. Click the Close button.

I would simply run the quick test at first an see what it finds.Let us know. I would do this last. Clean up drive first as instructed above, an defragment, then run the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows from Western Digital on your hard drive. If QUICK TEST passes try the EXTENDED TEST, which will take some time to run. :)

Wademan

Hi,

So, you must be refering to the disk speeds.It was unclear in your question. Sounded like you meant the Internet speed, and since you asked about that before I thought you was having problems with it again. lol

Well your Uncached speed is 14 MB/s (46%) That is indeed slower than normal. It could be that the drive is just getting old. Hard drives do slow down as they age and yours appears to be over 3 years old. Also the drive is alittle full, this can slow it down as well. You have 54% free space, windows will run much better if its kept at 70-80 free space.

Try using the ccleaner we gave you. Clean up drive with it. Also try an put some items on cd's since you have a cd burner. Things like , music, video, games, pics, etc can take up lots of space. Or use the extra hard drive you have to store things on. Speed should improve if you can free up drive some. If you can get it between 65-70% that would be great. And then defragment drive. You have 7% defragmentation.

Also adjust size of the recycle bin. It can set aside several gigs of hard drive space just for its use. That is way unnecessary and wastes valuable hard drive space. Right click the recycle bin on your desk top, then select "properties" there you will see a "slider", move it to the left, 4-6% is plenty of space to set it at. This will free up some space.

Now, your hard drive shows in the test as Western Digital, So get this to test your drive from them. > Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows> http://support.wdc.com/download/downloadxml.asp Scroll way down to get the free utility, Make sure its this one> Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

Version Version 1.09b

Publish Date March, 2007

Instructions>> Download the Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, WinDLG.zip

Extract and run the program, windlg.exe. If running Windows Vista, you will need to Right-Click on the windlg.exe file and choose to Run As Administrator.

Read and accept the license agreement to continue.

On the main program screen, there are two windows. In the top window, you will see the drives in your system, that are available for testing. The model number, serial number, and capacity of each drive will be displayed. In the bottom window, the partition information for the selected drive will be displayed.

Highlight the drive and select the icon on the top row to test or run SMART status.

The DLGDIAG - Select an Option window appears.

You will see the following options:

QUICK TEST - performs SMART drive quick self-test to gather and verify the Data Lifeguard information contained on the drive.

EXTENDED TEST - performs a Full Media Scan to detect bad sectors. Test may take several hours to complete depending on the size of the drive.

WRITE ZEROS - writes zeros to the drive with options of Full Erase and Quick Erase. File system and data will be lost.

VIEW TEST RESULT - displays the latest test results.

Select the test you wish to perform and click the Start button.

When the test completes, you will be notified with a pass/fail message. Click the Close button.

I would simply run the quick test at first an see what it finds.Let us know. I would do this last. Clean up drive first as instructed above, an defragment, then run the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows from Western Digital on your hard drive. If QUICK TEST passes try the EXTENDED TEST, which will take some time to run. :)

Wademan

Thanks, i'll try that. One thing though, I did try and move some of the movies and music from my son's i-pod over to the E drive and it wound up not working when he plugged in the i-pod. Not sure what to do about that.Thanks :lol:

Did all of those things and came up with 61% free space. Checked my disk. It passed both tests. I am going to try and see what else I can move to gain some more space. Thanks for your help. I am going to do another disk speed check and see if this speed it up some. :P

Hum,

Well I doubt the I-pod would work from and external drive,sorry about that. Move those back to main drive. I know how kids are with I-pods, they will go crazy if they can not use it. I don't use Ipods so I can't really advise on the external drive issue with that, other than just move those movies, etc back to main drive.

I would still try an run the Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics from Westeren Digital to help determine if there is a problem for sure with your hard drive.

When I said try and move things over to cd's or the other drive you have I forgot your son had an ipod an uses it alot on pc. I remember now like 1 month ago, you asking for programs for it. So feel free to slap me. lol Just move those back. You can move anything else to that drive, or just use cd's.

Bottom line on your main question here about slow drive speed, you need to run the Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics to check this.

Wademan

Edited by Wademan

Did all of those things and came up with 61% free space. Checked my disk. It passed both tests. I am going to try and see what else I can move to gain some more space. Thanks for your help. I am going to do another disk speed check and see if this speed it up some. :P

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=GCN3HW3XPMWSNMRW

Well, my disk speed went up. Yippie :lol::boxing:

Werll, I did move thie movies that were on drive C to drive E. But before I deleted them off of C I opened up his I-pod and made sure they would play first. They do. Now when he converts his movies with cucusoft,by the way which he loves, They wont take up space on the C drive. Thanks for your help :coffee::rocks: