Change Mode

Chkdsk hanging, disable?

I ran Chkdsk because one of my RAID0 drives was reporting a error. The Chkdsk is hanging at 23% on verifying free space (stage 5 of 5). I cannot get past this part so my comp is now un-usable. How can I disable the Chkdsk from running when I boot?

Psrt 2 of my problems is that my comp will not boot from any disk in the CD drive.

Porthos and I are working on my comp, but we need more minds put to the task! :)

I know you could type CHKNTFS /X C: (substitute c with your drive letter). That stops windows checking the disc at boot up.

Can you boot up with your windows disc?. If you can then go to a command prompt (via repair) and try that.

Im assuming you know how to set the bios to boot from CD?.

Keith

Edited by doofus

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/229716/

Disabling Chkdsk - Windows 2000 and XP

1. Run the Registry Editor (regedt32.exe)

2. Under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree, go to the following subkey:

\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

3. Change the BootExecute entry to:

autocheck autochk *

Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

Okay, those are all great ways to disable Chkdsk; but let me make it harder. :P

My comp will not boot from any CD/DVD in the CD drive. Also since the Chkdsk hangs, I can never get far enough to load windows and open a command prompt.

Well have you got an older cd rom drive that you can use for now?. It seems weird that you cannot boot from your cd/dvd drives. If you have an older one or just can borrow one unplug yours and use that one to boot up with the windows cd, assuming you have that on hand offcourse. Then follow the directions given above.

Keith

probably a dumb question, but have you gone into the bios and changed the 1st boot device to cdrom ??

I was talking to him yesterday and from what he told me it was set that way in the bios and it wont even work with the f12 choose boot device.

The check disk was my idea.

The whole issue is until the boot from cdrom issue is fixed he is stuck. We already have a plan to reformat to a single drive and all his data is backed up already.

This is a Dell XPS that is about 3 yrs old and has 2 cd roms to choose from.

Edited by PORTHOS

Hey PORTHOS

I dont know much about Raid and how its all setup, but could that be an issue do you think?. Could having the HD's setup as Raid be stopping it somehow?.

Keith

I'm guessing the reason it's hanging is the same reason there is a error reported on one of the RAID disks.

FYI: I also beleive that's the same reason I could not do a full image backup. I couldn't get any backup utilities to complete (they would always hang at some point). I used Norton Ghost, the built-in XP backup, and something else.

So what's my options?

Could having the HD's setup as Raid be stopping it somehow?.

No, It should boot from cd as long as its set correct.

DJ, Run that dell restore again and try the intel software I told you about.

It might let it boot again.

I read that there is more than 1 HD hooked up via Raid?. If thats correct then maybe you can unplug one of the drives and see if it thats what is causing it too hang. Ive had the same happen when i have had HD's hooked up as master and slave. The slave would have an issue and it would not boot up. I just unplugged the slave drive and the primary drive booted up just fine without it.

Just an idea

Keith

Edited by doofus

I read that there is more than 1 HD hooked up via Raid?. If thats correct then maybe you can unplug one of the drives and see if it thats what is causing it too hang. Ive had the same happen when i have had HD's hooked up as master and slave. The slave would have an issue and it would not boot up. I just unplugged the slave drive and the primary drive booted up just fine without it.

Just an idea

Keith

Ummmm, nope. It's RAID0 so if I unhooked one of the drives it wouldn't even boot.

Porthos: I will do the restore when I get home in like 2 hours.

Edit: just wondering, could there be some hardware pin or something that's set incorrectly so it's preventing the boot-up from CD?

Edited by djsilver666666

Edit: just wondering, could there be some hardware pin or something that's set incorrectly so it's preventing the boot-up from CD?

Not if you never changed the jumpers as long as you had it.

I've never touched the jumpers, but I do recall that it never could boot from a disk before. But I just didn't do anything about it because I didn't need to...

FYI: I like that Dell restore thing! My comp is back up and running with a working XP OS. Still have RAID errors, I will get those Intel updates.

Edit: Umm I don't know what I am supposed to be getting, Porthos... http://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.as...r_nav2_download

Is this it?: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Fi...01&lang=eng

Edited by djsilver666666

I will try to do this tonight, but it will almost certainly be put off till tomorrow.

Thanks for the links! I will use the SP2 Pro version: Windows XP Professional SP2

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...4&displaylang=en

I'm currently getting the drivers for my printer so I can print some of the directions off :)

Edited by djsilver666666

I'm afraid it'll have to wait even more. I have to clean my room thoroughly cause I just got some new stuff that has to come in here. I'ts a tough job! :)

BTW I plan on taking Thursday off from work, so it will certainly be done by Thursday evening. I promise!

Well, I did the Intel Matrix Storage Manager update and it still shows an error.

I've got the XP Pro on floppy, should I do and install now?

Also, the main way I backed up my data was using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. I need some documents from the My Docs section from the second account on the previous install of this computer. But when I try to use the Wizard to restore the settings then it says there is no data stored. Can I open the archive? I've tried using FASTConv, but I can't figure out how to use it...

Edited by djsilver666666