Change Mode

Flickering laptop screen

My laptop's screen has been flickering a bit lately, so I did a test and was given a memory problem which might have to do with having an out of date BIOS which could cause a flickering screen. So, my question is, how/where do I update the BIOS? Here's my test results: http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=VVP4FWMQW3WSG9QW

As a side note, any other settings that you see in my results that should be changed/dealt with?

I assume you have already checked the obvious

1. Device manager

2. System log file

3. Battery and /or power supply

4. Re-set your ram

And of course asking the maybe not so obvious because it is summer, your not plugged into the same outlet as an air conditioner or fan are you?

The laptop is less than a year old... about 8 or so months.

The flickering is getting worse. The bottom 2/3 of the screen will "freeze" momentarily while the remaining top 1/3 will scroll or show my mouse. During the freeze, it'll usually show a faded version of what was previously there.

I do have a fan plugged into the same power strip, but I did try unplugging the computer and running off of the battery and it still flickered. Just removed the battery while typing this sentence....

I'm not sure what I should look for in the Device Manager or the System Log (or where I'd find that log). I'm not seeing any errors in the DM.... I also do not know how to reset my RAM and searches for info on it were not helpful.

The screen has continued flickering with the battery removed.

Hello,

From your test> Speed Rating 3623 MB/s (62% of 557 similar) for your RAM. I would try a better ram test.

Try this> http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp Windows Memory Diagnostic is designed to be easy and fast. On most configurations, you can download the diagnostic, read the documentation, run the test and complete the first test pass in less than 30 minutes. I would run the second pass as well. This should see if any memory is going bad. Its simple to use an does not take that long.

Since you have an HP pc you can run their pro suite of Diagnostics as well, including detailed Ram tests . See Diagnostics here> http://h50203.www5.hp.com/HPISWeb/customer...antSupport.aspx Click on " Online diagnostic tools/Launch an online diagnostic session", then next page will open.

There Accept the agreement, then another page opens. There fill in the simple 4 steps ( note : under step 4 simply select buisness notebooks, this will work. then select next, which opens new page.

Now, you are ready to begin. Select the "run system health scan". Allow the active x to run. Then you will finally reach "Hardware diagnostics", select it. There you will see tests for everything on the pc. I would run the memory tests and Monitor tests.Then run memory test under "advanced diagnostics" as well. This should help find the problem.

Has lapTop been dropped alot, or moved alot? I work in LapTops, and they are primarily all I use at home. A screen for one can cost over $700 or even $1200. You say its about 8 months old, so do you have a warranty? Worst case scenario is screen is going bad, but if you have the standard 12 month warranty that is something covered.

So, I would run all the tests I suggest above an post back the findings. ;)

Wademan

I ran all of the tests and the only thing that came back was that I need to defrag - everything else was fine.

The laptop hasn't been dropped at all, but it does get moved around.

One thing I realized is that I can stop the flickering my moving the screen/monitor back and forth.

I just did another pit test and now the memory is reporting fine. There's also much less flickering, but there is still a little flickering. Is there anyway I can check the connection between the monitor and motherboard? On the hp diag tools, I did also check for the monitor to be tested and that was fine....

edit: Actually, the pit test looks almost the same except I don't have a yellow flag this time, just a checkered flag: http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=VVP4FWMQW3WSWDQW

Edited by RammsteinNicCage

Try by passing the LapTops Monitor...most have a tv out or monitor out. try connecting it to another monitor or even a TV.Windows should recognize the new output. If Not go into control panel, "display", then "settings", then at bottom select "advanced". then at top select" Displays". You should see the output..IF connected to a monitor or TV correctly.

If this works, then we know your screen needs fixed/replaced.

Wademan

Edited by Wademan

My monitor started acting up really badly today, not just flickering but also going white. So, I just switched to my other comp's monitor and no problems. Does that maen that there's definitely a problem with the monitor or is it possible that there's an errant setting somewhere that was accidentaly changed?

As others have said earlier, you have an intermittent problem with the connection between screen and laptop base. Since it's less than a year old, use your guarantee to get screen replaced/repaired.

I haven't had a chance to contact support yet, but another problem has cropped up. When I start up my comp (I do tend to leave it on overnight frequently), it's been taking a VERY long time for the initial Compaq screen to come up... minutes as opposed to the usual 0-5 seconds. It's making sounds while it's doing it... I noticed today that the cd-drive light was intermittently blinking, so I pushed the button to open up the drive (no cd inserted) and then at that moment, the Compaq screen came on.

Could this be an unrelated problem or do I have a more serious problem than a faulty screen?

Update: I booted up my computer and paid more attention this time. It still took a long time for the Compaq screen to come up. It seems like all of the normal lights that come on, do come on. Then the cd-drive light blinks a few times. Then, the lights go out and the cd-drive stops blinking. Then the normal lights come back on, then the cd-drive blinks. This happens quite a few times before the comp ends up booting up regularly. I tried opening the cd-drive a few times, but the Compaq screen did not open with that.

There's a sticker on the bottom of it that says 1 year warranty, so I should still be good. Unless they need a receipt. I think I still have it somewhere, but I'm not sure.... I would hate having to send it away though. If I can prevent sending it out, without paying anything :P, I'd like to.

If its under warranty I would call the manufacturer ASAP

Even if you have to send it out its better than replacing parts at your own cost --- in a laptop

Plus you never know - maybe your warranty includes on-site service.

If I do have to get it serviced... how do servicers feel about a couple of... borrowed... programs? :angel:

If its a hardware issue and they are just replacing parts they shouldn't even be going through your programs.

Normally they just replace the parts - boot up the computer to make sure its working - install drivers (if necessary) - check device manager and return it to the owner..

I had a motherboard replaced in my Dell laptop - the tech came out - swapped the board - made sure the computer got to the login screen and left :)