Sign in to follow this  
Skizem

File Permissions in Windows Vista

Hello all,

I have a 2HD set up for my system, Windows is installed to C:\ and all my documents, photo's, etc are on D:\. I recently had to reinstall Vista, and my D:\ drive gives me the following error when I try to open any files: Access is denied.

OR:

Photo Gallery can't open this file because you do not have permission to access the file location.

I had the D:\ drive restricted at one point months ago because it was a shared computer, so the drive root at D: was set to only allow my Adminstrator account on.

I've tried to reset the permissions, to the files individually, to the whole drive and to folders. According to Security tab only Administrators_ploc has access to the files. If I try to add a new user I get a message stating I don't have sufficient security to change the settings (even though I'm signed in as the admin).

Please..help..I can't get into any of my important files at the moment.

Edited by Skizem

Hello all,

I have a 2HD set up for my system, Windows is installed to C:\ and all my documents, photo's, etc are on D:\. I recently had to reinstall Vista, and my D:\ drive gives me the following error when I try to open any files: Access is denied.

OR:

Photo Gallery can't open this file because you do not have permission to access the file location.

I had the D:\ drive restricted at one point months ago because it was a shared computer, so the drive root at D: was set to only allow my Adminstrator account on.

I've tried to reset the permissions, to the files individually, to the whole drive and to folders. According to Security tab only Administrators_ploc has access to the files. If I try to add a new user I get a message stating I don't have sufficient security to change the settings (even though I'm signed in as the admin).

Please..help..I can't get into any of my important files at the moment.

Are you signed in using THE Administrator account (which you have to enable after installation of Vista), or are you using the user account you set up with administrator privileges?

There is presently only one account on the system, which is THE adminstrator account. Unless there is some hidden admin account I'm not aware of.

There is presently only one account on the system, which is THE adminstrator account. Unless there is some hidden admin account I'm not aware of.

Actually, no, that isn't THE Administrator account. By default, THE Administrator account is disabled in a Vista installation. Go to the Tips and Tricks section and look at the "When the administrator is not THE Administrator" to see how to enable THE Administrator account.

Actually, no, that isn't THE Administrator account. By default, THE Administrator account is disabled in a Vista installation. Go to the Tips and Tricks section and look at the "When the administrator is not THE Administrator" to see how to enable THE Administrator account.

Thanks for the clarification. When I try the net user administrator /active:yes I get:

The user name could not be found.

This is for XP,

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...ermissions.mspx

haven't had to do this in Vista yet, but I assume the steps are the same. The part you need is on the bottom half of the page called "Add file and folder permissions".

Thanks! I actually just figured that out after some fiddling. The issue seemed to be that the old user accounts from the previous Vista install were still present, deleted them and the problem went away.

My admin account was adminstrator_ploc (No idea why)