Change Mode

Password protecting folders on a network with xp

Sikkibahm

Hey,

I'm on a school network, so anyone in the dorms can see my shared folders over the network. I'd like to be able to password protect the folders that I'm sharing, so that only my friends can see my files. I know you can do this in 98, but can it be done in XP? If it requires special software, I'd even be willing to buy software to do it if there is no freeware. However, most of the software I've come across doesn't work when trying to access files over the network. I'd prefer to find some way to do it that doesn't require the people on both ends to have the special software installed (unless it's freeware).

Thanks for your help,

Sikkibahm.

If you want to prevent someone from accessing your files then:

-Right-click the folder that you want to make private

-Select Properties and click the Sharing tab and check Make this folder private box.

-Click Apply .

If you have not set a password before, a box will pop up asking if you want to create a password. This is neccessary if you want to make the folder private, so click Yes .

You will need to use your password to log on to your computer from then on.

Type in a password then confirm it.

Click Create Password button then close the Password window.

Click OK in the Properties dialog box.

From that time and on anyone else using or having access to your computer won't be able to access that folder and its content without knowing your password.

You could even make your folders invisible even though the files themselves are inaccessible without the password.

To hide them, use the hidden feature on Windows XP or even better, compress a folder inside another compressed folder and password-protect the top folder. Other users can open the top compressed folder, but not the subfolder containing the files.

There are many freeware and paying software to acomplish that task.

Hide Files and Folders v2.8 (free version available here), is a software that lets you set a password on any folder.

You could use this program to password protect folders on both NTFS and FAT32 volumes (folders on flash drives, network drives, and hard drive). You won't have to create a user account with a password like on Windows.

Edited by jojesa

If you want to prevent someone from accessing your files then:

-Right-click the folder that you want to make private

-Select Properties and click the Sharing tab and check Make this folder private box.

-Click Apply .

When I try to do this, I can't check the box to make it private. It is grayed out. Is there a way to make it so I can turn it on?

When I try to do this, I can't check the box to make it private. It is grayed out. Is there a way to make it so I can turn it on?

To mark a folder as private you need to right-click on it and select Sharing and Security.

On the Sharing tab click the checkbox that says Make This Folder Private. If the folder is owned by another user or it was created by the operating system this option will be grayed out.

Also, by default, on Windows XP Home you can only make files and folders under My Documents "private".

If none of the above apply to you and you want to change the grayed out then follow these steps:

Windows XP Professional Edition

-Open My Computer, select Folder Options from the Tools menu and click the View tab.

-In the Advanced Settings section, uncheck Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box.

-Click OK.

-Right-click the folder that was grayed out, and choose Properties.

-Click the Security tab, select Add, and type in Administrators, click OK.

-Select the Administrators group that you just added.

-Put a checkmark on Full Control (Allow) in Permissions check box.

-Click OK.

Windows XP Home Edition

-Start Windows in Safe Mode (otherwise you won't see the Security tab).

-Follow steps above

Edited by jojesa

To do what Jojesa suggests you need to be logged in as administrator. Here is how>

The built-in Administrator account is hidden from Welcome Screen when a user account with Administrator privileges exists and enabled. In Windows XP Home Edition, you can login as built-in Administrator in Safe Mode only. For XP Professional, press CTRL + ALT + DEL twice at the Welcome Screen and input your Administrator password in the classic logon window that appears.

To have the Administrator account display in the Welcome Screen, get TweakUI > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...ppowertoys.mspx ( the download is on the right near the bottom )

Open TweakUI and click "Logon" option in the left pane. Put a checkmark against the option "Show Administrator on Welcome Screen". Click OK to close TweakUI. Logoff and see if Welcome Screen lists Administrator login. Changes are immediate and you can use the Winkey + L to switch back to Welcome Screen to see Administrator account is listed.

Use this procedure to hide/unhide any user account from the Welcome Screen. Please remember, you can still login to a hidden account using CTRL+ALT+DEL classic logon method, but cannot Fast User Switch to a hidden user account.

You can also see this> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...minaccount.mspx

See if that helps with Jojesa's idea.

Also this is a very good file hider> http://www.filedudes.com/Hide_Folders_XP-download-7820.html

Wademan

Ok, I tried Hide Files and Folders and jojesa's suggestion, and had problems with both. With Hide Files and Folders, you have to set the amout of time a file will be unlocked for upon entering the password. Unfortunately, it leaves it unlocked for everyone during this period. So, if someone accessed my folder using the password, it would then be open for anyone to access during the period it was unlocked for.

With jojesa's suggestion, the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box is not there, unless I am somehow missing it. I looked at the list of things to check/uncheck many times to make sure, and it is not there, so I can't complete the rest of the instructions.

Again, thanks for your help. I'm hoping we'll figure out how to get this workng.

I just tried the Hide Folders XP program, and it won't work either. It is great for protecting folders on your own computer, but you can't access protected files over the network, even if the program is installed on both computers.