Change Mode

COMPUTER EMERGENCY!

h3llo

i was away from my computer for about 2 hours last night, then when i came back to it, all of my pictures, videos, music, and writing was erased, while nobody was using it. can someone please tell me what i can do to get everything back? i have tried system restore 3 times, and it goes back to the access point with all of the old systems installed from that previous time, but all of the files are still not there. can someone please help me? im desperate because it's very important! and please make it pretty simple because im not very good with computers. so please HELP! bye :(

Please follow IntelGuys recommendation to run and post a PCPitstop Full Tests - TechExpress.

Your media/files/documents are most likely "still there", even though you are having difficulty "finding" them right now.

All is not lost. :)

Post your PCPitstop Full Test TechExpress, then we'll try to help with additional steps.

Best Regards

i was away from my computer for about 2 hours last night, then when i came back to it, all of my pictures, videos, music, and writing was erased, while nobody was using it. can someone please tell me what i can do to get everything back? i have tried system restore 3 times, and it goes back to the access point with all of the old systems installed from that previous time, but all of the files are still not there. can someone please help me? im desperate because it's very important! and please make it pretty simple because im not very good with computers. so please HELP! bye :(

System Restore does not restore personal data. System Restore monitors only specific system and application file types like .exe, .dll etc.

If you have lose your data, you could try PC INSPECTOR File Recovery, (from this link) which is free.

There are a few "prank" viruses around that set the hidden attribute of everything in the Documents folder.  Try this.  Click Start, Run, type

Cmd /C Attrib -H "My Documents\*.*" /S /D

and click OK.

• 2 weeks later...

1 Maybe your 'my documents folder' has changed its location. Try browsing manually to c:\documents and settings\user name\my documents

2 A similar thing happened to me once. Windows was on 1 HD, my documents on the other.

It turns out my 2nd HD was damaged. Sometimes when I started up my HD was there, sometimes not. Sometimes it was there but windows said it's unformatted.

If windows is on a different drive than the files you're missing, this could be the case too.

Go to explorer, right click on the HD>properties>hardware>check the model nr of your HD and go to the manufacturer's website and find your HD.

See if there are any support items specific for your HD, and see if you can find any general topics about your issue. Also, submit a support request (free usually), and ask the store for support.

See if the site has any HD checking tools available. Sometimes this isn't in the support section but in 'downloads'.

Leslie

Edited by lesliebibb