Sign in to follow this  
Gordon24Johnson48

Unmountable boot drive

Hey guys. You have all helped me before and i'm hoping you can help again. I am having trouble with my Sony Viao RB30 model. I was downloading a large file so i let it download while i was sleeping. When i came back the computer was froze. I restarted and first it says windows did not start successfully and gives me a few options to restart. It lists the safe modes, last known good configuration, and start normally. I have tried them all and they all do the same thing. It will bring me to the windows xp load screen and then i get a blue screen saying there is a problem. It says Unmountable boot drive. I have tried a few times and it keeps coming back.

I have been reading trying to fix it. I don't have my windows xp install cd i don't think i ever even had one as i bought the computer new with it installed already. I'm not sure if it's an xp issue or my hard drive. Just wondering what my options are now? Do i need to buy a new hard drive or a new copy of windows xp?

Thanks alot guys i really appreciate any help. I don't know alot about computers so it helps to have a place like this. I don't even know how to reformat! :cr@sh:

Hi!

take a look here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

"SYMPTOMS

When booting up to Win XP you may get a error that reads "Unmountable Boot Volume".

Back to the top

CAUSE

1.The file system is damaged and cannot be mounted.

2.You use a standard 40-wire connector cable to connect the UDMA drive to the controller instead of the required 80-wire, 40-pin cable.

3.The basic input/output system (BIOS) settings are configured to force the faster UDMA modes.

Back to the top

RESOLUTION

If it be the connector cable problem then replace the 40-wire cable with an 80-wire UDMA cable.

If it's a BIOS settings problem then load the 'Fail-Safe' default settings, and then reactivate the most frequently used options such as USB Support.

If it's a damaged file system case then:-

1.Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2.When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3.If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.

4.When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5.At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6.At the command prompt, type exit , and then press ENTER to restart your computer.

This takes a bit longer, but the system should boot back into Windows."

If I'm not wrong, you may use a windows xp utility to make disk from xp, so, you don't need buy a xp cd. Download avaible here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...b7-4fed408ea73f

But, you must have a Floppy drive or may want try burn a cd with it (I guess it is possible, but, I'm not sure how, try Nero or Power Iso)

The easier way is the cd disc.

I'm going to take a guess and say out of those i think the damaged file system makes the most sense. I haven't changed any wires or settings in the BIOS. I tried resetting the BIOS to the default settings and got the same error.

I'm going to try that link and see if i can make an xp cd. It tells me i need 6 cd's so i will have to go buy some later today. If that fails i will just go ahead and buy windows xp again to get the cd. I looked at the store last night and all they had was the upgrade version. Would that work for me or do i need the full edition? Also does this mean my hard drive is still good?

Thanks

If I'm not wrong, you may use a windows xp utility to make disk from xp, so, you don't need buy a xp cd. Download avaible here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...b7-4fed408ea73f

But, you must have a Floppy drive or may want try burn a cd with it (I guess it is possible, but, I'm not sure how, try Nero or Power Iso)

The easier way is the cd disc.

Those floppys do not replace having a XP disk.

Those are to

The Windows XP startup disk allows computers without a bootable CD-ROM to perform a new installation of the operating system. The Windows XP startup disk will automatically load the correct drivers to gain access to the CD-ROM drive and start a new installation of Setup.

But you still need the XP cd.

That screen usually indacates a bad drive or I have seen malware cause that as well.

Either way you have some work to do or a repair bill in your future.

If I were you, If there is any data you want on that drive stop now so to not make it any worse so the data MIGHT be intact to recover.

Ok i will go out and buy a new copy of windows xp and take it from there. I have needed the cd a few times in the past so it will be nice to have one. Can i buy the upgrade version or do i need the full version? I can only find the upgrade right now but if i look long enough i'm sure i can get the full if i need it. The reason i ask is because the upgrade is cheaper and i have 2 computers with xp installed. I do have the product key numbers.

my problem is similar . every time when the window xp boot menu start, the screen stops. i mean every thing :pullhair: !! i have to shut the computer off. then i start the computer again. this time it starts a new menu. it says safe mode, safe mode with network, last know good configuration, and start normaly. i try safe mode, then it works. when i try safe mode with network it stops again, :cr@sh:

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS THE PROBLEM, PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Ok i will go out and buy a new copy of windows xp and take it from there. I have needed the cd a few times in the past so it will be nice to have one. Can i buy the upgrade version or do i need the full version? I can only find the upgrade right now but if i look long enough i'm sure i can get the full if i need it. The reason i ask is because the upgrade is cheaper and i have 2 computers with xp installed. I do have the product key numbers.

Is ths a name brand computer like Dell or HP??

might be better to find the brand name of the hard drive (on the drive itself) and get their dos utility to check the status of the drive first, if the drive is dead it might save and extra trip after you buy a copy of XP

might be better to find the brand name of the hard drive (on the drive itself) and get their dos utility to check the status of the drive first, if the drive is dead it might save and extra trip after you buy a copy of XP

It is a Western Digital 200GB hard drive. The model number is WD2000JD-98HBB0. I'm not sure how i can check it because i can't get past the blue error screen that comes up after the windows xp load screen.

As far as the windows xp goes it is turning into a hunt. I have checked Walmart, Target, and Kmart the 3 larger stores in my area. The only thing i can find is Vista and windows xp upgrade version. I can't find the xp full version anywhere.

download WD's datalife gaurd for dos, It won't be needing windows to check the status because, well....it's a dos program. DOS is a software program that everybody used before windows came into being, yup it's old but works when windows crapps out on you. Just follow the install guide

http://support.wdc.com/download/?cxml=n&am...999&swid=30

You can get a good price on XP from here

home version....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16832116056

Pro version....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16832116059

Edited by Joe C

Upgrade is OK if you've got a previous version, such as 98 or 2K. Mine is an upgrade. it's a full version.

:b33r::b33r::b33r:

download WD's datalife gaurd for dos, It won't be needing windows to check the status because, well....it's a dos program. DOS is a software program that everybody used before windows came into being, yup it's old but works when windows crapps out on you. Just follow the install guide

http://support.wdc.com/download/?cxml=n&am...999&swid=30

You can get a good price on XP from here

home version....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16832116056

Pro version....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16832116059

Dont know if they are inforcing this now

Qualifying proof of purchase must be recent receipts showing the purchase of a mother board, hard drive, RAM and a CPU. The components can be on multiple receipts; not necessarily all on one receipt nor on the same receipt as the qualifying Windows XP

I have not ordered one in a while. But with all the parts I buy I dont have to worry :P