Sign in to follow this  
Augusto

75-year-old has world's fastest private internet connection

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/12/sw...net_connection/

Let me show you my grandchildren at 40Gb/s

By Austin Modine in Mountain View → More by this author

Published Thursday 12th July 2007 19:32 GMT

Find your perfect job - click here from thousands of tech vacancies

75-year-old Sibritt Löthberg from Karlstad Sweden just got her first computer, but it didn't take her long to download all the necessary patches.

Swedish news site The Local reports that Löthberg's home has been tricked-out with a record-breaking 40 Gb/s connection - the first time a private residence has tapped into the internet at such high speeds.

The blazing-fast connection comes courtesy her son, Peter Löthberg, a Swedish optical internet guru working at Cisco.

Ma Löthberg's house was converted into a broadband dog-and-pony act in an effort to promote high-speed fibre connections as a commercially viable platform.

"I want to show that there are other methods than the old fashioned ways such as copper wires and radio, which lack the possibilities that fibre has," said Peter Löthberg.

According to The Local, the secret sauce behind the connection is a new modulation technique that allows data to be transfered directly between two routers up to 2,000 km apart - with no intermediary transponders. This allows information to travel over huge distances without data loss.

With her blistering connection, Sigbritt Löthberg will be able to download a full high-definition DVD in just two seconds. Now if only there was a place for a Swede to utilize such a speed advantage... ®

At that kind of speed, you'd probably have other factors slowing you down, such as disk I/O on the computer.

That is cool, though. I wish the U.S. had better infrastructure.

Edited by Cowboy3000

With her blistering connection, Sigbritt Löthberg will be able to download a full high-definition DVD in just two seconds. Now if only there was a place for a Swede to utilize such a speed advantage... ®

That would take me 19 hours @ 2500mbs

That should be 2500kbps not 2500mbps. A key thing to note is that the internet is continually growing faster and faster. I remember when I used to think in the mid 90's that downloading a megabyte was a time consuming task. I love computers because each and every year they get faster and better, and the internet is no exception.