Change Mode

It all depends. If you install vista after XP again, and it's an upgrade disk, you won't have to.

But if it's not upgrade compatable, you'll lose everything again.

A clean install is always better than the upgrade TBH, and no, you can hold onto your vista disk until it's time to go back to it. You don't need a new one.

Edited by porksandwich9113
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm i had vista on my desktop for about 6months with no problems at all and every game plays smoother and better than it did on xp.

i had it on my laptop but sometimes i whould get slowdowns or display driver will stop working.

also my desktop has ati x1900

my laptop has nvidia 7800gtx so to me i think nvidia is not ready for vista.

tho games did run better when it did have vista like right now the laptop will not run good over 1280x1024 on testdriver unlimited but on vista it ran at higher res.

which i think because vista gives memory to the video card when it needs it.

because it says 1024mb for my x1900 in display settings.

laptop said it was 768 when it had vista.

tho i didint have no problem with wow when i tried it and i have a 7800gtx was over 30fps and i have the res runing at 1920x1200 maxxed anti to.

same as my desktop plays at high [email protected] res and maxed anti.

but you never know xp might be better on your machine or vista might just need a reinstall.

ok this computer had XP media center edation before and prob 3 months ago i went to bestbuy and bought the upgrade disk for vista and threw it in my computer and upraded from there im just afried that if i throw my vista disk back in and do a clean install from there (and when it installs everything and when it ask's for the little CD key i dont want to get the thing were it says the key has been used up and you need to buy a new one)

ok did a clean install of vista and instaleld all my drivers just have to install allmy games and ill be back with a another post soon (btw seems everything is ALOT faster now lol) and when i first bought vista i didnt do a clean install i just did a upgrade so nothing was deleted or anything (also if i get the same problems in WoW ill prob install Xp and test it out agian )

Edited by Lusafis

ok right now just got off work and installing WoW and if i dont get my 50FPS in WoW then im gonna try to throw XP back on it and just wondering (i have a windows XP prof disk but its all messed up and stuff and i also lost the code to it BUT i got a Emachines disk that has XP home edation i was wondering if could use that (i put it on here before and it worked but i didnt try it for enoiugh time becuase i threw Vista on it right away so will this mess up my computer ??

well i allready used it on this comp allready becuase before i bought vista i had XP MCE and it got all messed up so i bought the vistas disk and threw in this Emachines disk (becuase my old XP got ruined) and the Emachines disk worked i mean i was suprise to it got into xp and everything but it wouldent let me do updates and that is it so i threw in my vista and did a upgrade from there and just now i re did vista for clean install and now wow plays at 60FPS =) i guess that is what was need was a clean install

Yep, a clean install is magic.

Enjoy your games, i think you will be happy with the video card.

Also, disable vertical sync, you get higher performance without any visual tearing, at least in my case, and in certain areas the FPS can hit abotu 130-140.

Edited by porksandwich9113