Change Mode

** Help -- What do you guys think about these upgrade options?

Hey guys. . . . I haven’t posted in a while, but I was hoping to get some advice on doing some upgrades. . . .

I'm still running a socket 939 and I was planning to stick with that for a while longer since it’s still suiting my needs as far as speed goes. Plus, I don’t really want to buy a new motherboard, RAM, etc. . . .

So I would like to get the best CPU for a 939 that there is. I’m doing a lot of multi-tasking and video/sound editing so I definitely want dual core. I’m thinking that I want either an Opteron 185 or an FX-60. Any suggestion which would be better? . . . Or is there something else that’s better than both?

Also, I would like to upgrade the size and speed of the hard drives . . . I was thinking of going with four 150GB Raptors in RAID 0. The only thing I don’t like about that is that they're still not SATA II. Is there a better choice out there?

I’m gonna’ have a 750GB backup drive with a full copy of everything so I’m not worried about data loss. I just want to know what is the fastest hard drive setup possible. . . .

Thanks for any help guys!

Raptors are the fastest out there. 10,000 RPM is the difference.

That's what I was thinking . . .

But is there a reason that some of you guys recommend going with the Seagates instead? Is it cuz they're SATA II? . . .

I guess it's that old debate as to whether 10k RPM or SATA II shows the best performance overall.

From most of the comparisons I see, Raptors beat SATA II, but it's close. The Raptor X is one awesome looking hard drive though. You should really join us for forum wars, you have a nice rig there.

Another vote for the Seagate's. Then again you also need to ask yourself if they are going to perform that much better to justify the steep jump in cost. This is what my two 80 gb Seagate 7200.10's do in RAID0,

Posted Image

and that is in Vista with as still yet immature drivers.

Thanks for the info, guys. . . .

I'm thinking that since I'm moving around big video files, the Raptors will prove superior with the better transfer speeds. The random access should also prove faster with 10k RPM. I guess the only thing that may suffer is the "snappyness" with the slightly lower burst on SATA I. Hopefully having an effective buffer of 64MB (16MB x 4 drives in RAID 0) should help with that. . . .

Maybe once I upgrade the rig with the new Opty and HDDs I'll come visit the forum wars. :boxing: . . . I also need to yank one of my 7800GTXs and have the voltage regulator repaired. It doesn't seem to be getting any power. (happened after I did v-mod, glued ramsinks, and put a pelt and waterblock on it. ) . . .

Lots of stuff to try to pull together. . . :blink:

Maybe I could record some of the work and put together some kind of a video for that contest. I see nobody has entered. . . . Would I automatically win with an entry? :P

i've had raid 0 raptors...2 and compared to a set of 4 regular maxtor sata drives all bought cheaper than the 2 raptors, was quite a bit faster score wise, but as far as normal usage i never noticed a huge difference from using raptors compared to any other drive. marketing BS imo.

if your chipset supports 4 sata drives, go with cheaper drives less you want 4 raptors

That's what I was leaning toward since it's cheaper, the specs seem identical to the FX-60, and I don't need the unlocked higher multipliers.

Would they be faster than Raptors?

Hey Rev good to see your still doing well! I have a 185 opty I purchased a couple months ago from newegg and only used it a month before switching to an Intel system. It's Oem. If your intrested will sell it to you for less than 1/2 what Newegg wants.

Could save you some $$$ to go toward better hard drives!

Maybe I could record some of the work and put together some kind of a video for that contest. I see nobody has entered. . . . Would I automatically win with an entry? :P [/color]

Well, I gave it my best shot at the "Pimp My Rig" video competition. . . Let me know what you guys think. . . .

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?s=&a...t&p=1386920