Change Mode

I have had mixed results with Beryl. it is COOl though. Even with everything configured for me , everything working perfectly , small glitches creep in. (I have an older pc and AGP Nvidia graphics card).

I am not using ubuntu, (which is a very fine distro) but here is a nice web page I think.

http://www.pcworld.com/article

There is some fine detailed info at the Beryl Wiki too.

OK, run the command

sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals

Then open system > administration > software sources

Go to third party and add a new source, in the box where you add the source address write

deb http://ubuntu.beryl-project.org feisty main

Apply and reload it, then run the command

wget http://ubuntu.beryl-project.org/[email protected] -O- | sudo apt-key add - 

Then run

sudo apt-get install beryl beryl-manager emerald-themes

Then restart x with ctrl + backspace.

Then start beryl-manager, it is somewhere in the ubuntu menu. You might need to right click the diamond icon and change the window manager to beryl.

so, should i uninstall the beryl i already installed?

I would see what you can do with what you have installed first. I have installed beryl on my own and was able to get limited effects, not everything.

If you can't get it to work you can always uninstall it and try again / :)

Just for clarification, CTRL + ALT + BKSPCE kills the display manager (graphical). It comes back almost immediately though, so yes it would appear to log you out.

It's kind of like killing explorer.exe when that freezes.

For me Beryl was as simple as installing it with apt, and adding it to my session manager (System menu in Gnome if I remember right). :shrug:

i really want to figure out how to make it all cool and 3D like all the videos and what several of the users have here tho.

Too bad you didn't give the distro you went with more thought. One person suggested Ubunto and you went with it. :shrug:

Installing Beryl in Debian/Ubuntu was adding the lines to your xorg.conf, apt-get installing the required packages, and then adding beryl-manager to your session manager. Not what I would call hard...

Porksandwich, please tell us what steps you've already followed, and where you're stuck.

I have it installed, but it seems to be buggy.

Whenever i try to make it a cube, and i select 4 sides, it makes like 30, and then the graphics are all screwed up.

I reinstalled Ubuntu last night, and i am going to try it again today.

ALso, switching distro's isnt much of a problem.

If most of you agree that one of them is easier to config, i'll do it.

Downloading and burning isn't a problem at all. I have like 500 blank CD's and unlimited bandwidth, and all the time in the world.

I'm completely new to this linux thing, and i honestly know about nothing right now. So, if your gunna help me, treat me like an utter noob. :D