Change Mode

Post Code C5 and no video

Bought a new MSI PM8M-V motherboard for this computer:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=142295

Got the CPU mounted, everything connected, computer boots up, fans run, no beeps, but no video. I've tried both onboard and an NVidia FX5200 AGP video card, no such luck.

I have the Soyo Tech-Aid diagnostic card which reports a post code of C5 but C5 doesn't exist in the book they sent, nor can I find it on the internet. Don't know what BIOS MSI uses, assume it's AMI or Phoenix/Award.

Don't know what to do now. The other motherboard worked, but refused to set up the CPU & memory, sent that one back.

Now I get no video with this MSI. Can the CPU be responsible for this? Using 2 new 512mb sticks of Corsair PC3200...

Help!!! :pullhair: -kd5-

C5 Enable ROM, disable cache

I don't even know what that means, but if I can't get video to see what I'm doing, there's not much hope of being able to change any settings. -kd5-

Wow, cleared CMOS, set the pins back, turned it on and it booted up, got video, I'm in the bios now... :huh:

Thanks for stating what should have been the obvious, stormy... :blushing: -kd5-

Well, there's still trouble in paradise here. I set up the date/time in the bios, had a look around, didn't need to change anything else but the boot order, Saved & Exited, and promptly went to a black screen. Got nothing after that. Computer turns on, all fans spin, no error code beeps, but no video either. I'm beginning to suspect this processor is whacked.

One thing I noticed while I was in the bios was that CPU & memory clock speed were both set to 100mhz by SPD. I seem to recall that was happening with the Biostar mobo which means it may not have been the motherboard after all. This reinforces my belief that this processor is either toast, or it just will not work in any motherboard I want to use in this computer. -kd5-

you have an phoenix/award bios, and in the tech-aid book it shows that C5 is bad memory? look under award bios post codes

"call chipset hook to copy bios back to E000 & F000 shadow RAM"

you have an phoenix/award bios, and in the tech-aid book it shows that C5 is bad memory? look under award bios post codes

"call chipset hook to copy bios back to E000 & F000 shadow RAM"

That's what p***es me off about this diagnostic card. They claim it's easy enough that novices can use it. How in h*** am I supposed to know that "call chipset hook to copy bios back to E000 & F000 shadow RAM" means bad memory??? They don't explain anything in that book.

Also, the Award post code that you're referring to according to that book is C5h... I'm supposed to know that the code C5 was actually meant to be C5h...

So, from what you're telling me, I may have some bad memory here. OK, I'll check that out.

Thanks Joe... ;) -kd5-

Pulled one of the 512mb sticks of PC3200, booted up, got a bios screen, it continued booting to an Ultimate Boot CD I had in there, but before I actually reacted to press Enter to use the UBCD, it tried to boot past it, failed (no OS yet), I Ctrl/Alt/Del'd to reboot, got the same black screen. Nothing thereafter.

I suspect it's only allowed me to get video because the computer hadn't been booted in 3 hours (I've been away). -kd5-

After leaving the computer off for a bit, then booting back up with the single stick of memory in there, I was able to get back to the UBCD, currently testing the stick of memory that remains (with Memtest86) but I suspect that once it completes its first pass successfully, and I Esc Memtest, then Ctrl/Alt/Del to reboot, I'll get nothing for display, same as before. It will be the same thing that happened the last time, but this time at least I'll know it's not the memory.

Pass is 17% complete so far with no errors. -kd5-

One full pass with Memtest completed without errors, this memory is fine. Soon as I exited the UBCD, I lost display. Ctrl/Alt/Del did nothing to get it back. I still think this processor is whacked. -kd5-

All of the fault codes have an "h" and the board only has two display so the "h" is ignored, I googled that fault code and that's how I got the info about the memory error....it's very strange that it will post and boot to your cd rom, it must post before you can get access to the drive, but doesn't post without a drive connected?

but doesn't post without a drive connected?

I've never tried to boot this computer without the drive connected.

Since I just got up, I'd be willing to bet that the computer will boot just fine right now. It will boot to the UBCD, but once I try to exit the UBCD and reboot the computer the display will die and won't come back until the next lengthy power-down. -kd5-

Had a Gateway 500SE (or some such) sitting here with a dead motherboard and a 1.5ghz P4 mounted. Unmounted the 2.3ghz Celeron from the (used to be) emachines, mounted this P4, booted up, got the exact same behaviour.....which actually proves nothing because the P4 may have been fried too.

I say that because I had another Gateway 500SE here not too long ago (1.2ghz Celeron), motherboard was toast, bought another motherboard from a company on Ebay that had a 1000mhz PIII attached. Unmounted the PIII, mounted the 1.2ghz Celeron, tried to boot up, got no video. Unmounted the 1.2ghz Celeron, remounted the 1000mhz PIII, booted up just fine, installed XP, and away I went.

So just because this 1.5ghz P4 doesn't work either doesn't mean squat. I still think the processor is whacked. -kd5-

I've already tried loading optimized settings and tried setting the memory clock but that didn't help. Soon as I exited the bios saving settings, I got the black screen and couldn't get any further than that. Thanks for trying though JackeL... :tup: -kd5-

Well, I have an OEM 2.8ghz P4 on order from Newegg, be here tomorrow, I hope I was right about the processor being whacked because I can't for the life of me think what else it could be. :surrender: -kd5-

Intermitten short of either the mb or cmos battery. Did you try a new Cmos battery? Reason for think this is that it doesn't seem to be holding the bios changes. For memory not sure what you mean by one pass of the memory test when I had bad memory stick it didn't show up until test had run 18 hours :cr@sh:

2.8ghz P4 arrived early, mounted it in this new MSI board, tried to boot up, nothing. cleared the CMOS, was able to get into the BIOS, but no matter what I did in there, regardless of whether or not I made any changes at all, when I saved settings & exited, I got no display, nothing, nada. Computer is on, fans run, no error beeps, but nobody's home.

POST recognizes this (and the other 2) processor(s) I've tried to use on this MSI, but I get a Checksum error and a prompt to set up the CPU clock in the Bios, but this bios doesn't give me (or I can't find) any options to manually change CPU clock (either that or it's there and I just don't know what I'm looking at).

Pulled the motherboard, connected only monitor, keyboard, mouse, memory & hard drive, outside the case, got exactly the same behaviour, both in and out of the case.

This is the 2nd motherboard from 2 different sources that I have tried to use in this computer, the 1st Biostar POS from Newegg, and this MSI from Zip Zoom Fly. I've used either/and/or both sticks of new Corsair PC3200, no change in behaviour.

I wouldn't think the motherboard battery would be bad on both motherboards that it would exhibit the exact same behaviour, but I'll try replacing it on this MSI and see what happens. -kd5-

If both boards are using the same BIOS, when in the BIOS try using the F Keys, esc, Tab, etc to see if there are any hidden menus. It is not uncommon for the 'overclocking' functions such as FSB, volts, and multi to be accessed by a 'secret' key sequence.

I understand what you're saying IG, but why should I have to set up the CPU & memory at all? This is supposed to be a plug & play bios, the bios is supposed to recognize and set up the hardware installed in the computer. This is the first computer I've ever tried to work on/build/rebuild where that is not happening no matter what I do. Then for my troubles I get no display on a Save Settings and reboot.

Could I have gotten ahold of a bad MSI board too??? Seems unlikely but I don't know what else to do... :h3lp::surrender: -kd5-

I just tried to connect this motherboard (outside the case) in another computer and I got the exact same behaviour. -kd5-