Sign in to follow this  
cmunson

Video: PC v. Mac - Apples to Apples Comparison

So basically Macs are limited by hardware, and limited by hardware again. Go figure.

Sorry about the delay, but forgot I'd reformatted the dual boot hard drive. Vista was on it, so had to disconnect the other hard drives (because Ubuntu is too stupid to know its no longer hd0) and reinstall Ubuntu. Then 92 updates, and read the latest posts and link.

Sooo... if pcpitstop tests will only work with IE Tab on firefox, and IE Tab doesn't work on linux, then how did you run tests on linux? :pullhair:

WINE + IE. That's how I did it.

Macs aren't limited by hardware. They are limited by the operating system.

Wine doesn't support ActiveX, IE does, and WINE runs it.

Edited by brandon

Gotcha.. thanx. Stuck for now on how exactly to install WineHQ, but I'll try to work on it later. :)

What I meant by limited by hardware is that Apple only offers a few CPUs with each unit, the biggest I've seen being 2.7GHz. Overclocking is also locked out on all Macs I've seen to date, though I haven't looked at one in a few months.

I'd think my E6400 @ 3.6GHz would walk all over Apple's best configuration, not to mention Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 @ 1000MHz+. No need to even mention video cards, RAID, NCQ, etc.. :)

Edited by dark41

So basically Macs are limited by hardware, and limited by hardware again. Go figure.

Wow, some people's self esteem is really tied up in their hardware.

I understand how some of these p*ssing matches between Mac and PC happen, but some people carry it too far. Like they seem to act like it matters if someone else makes an alternative decision. Like they can't bear it if some people knowingly choose something else. So instead of just shrugging their shoulders and thinking, "They have different tastes than me and they must know what they need" they assign some sort of deficiency to these people. Because it's beyond comprehension that, you know, people have different tastes and priorities and that there's nothing wrong with that.

Edited by elvers

isn't that how it goes? isn't EVERYONE'S "self esteem" tied into their "hardware"? i mean men are always questioning their :filtered: size, and women always their :filtered: size.

it's natural. :mrgreen:

isn't that how it goes? isn't EVERYONE'S "self esteem" tied into their "hardware"? i mean men are always questioning their :filtered: size, and women always their :filtered: size.

it's natural. :mrgreen:

Only up to a certain point, man. I would care more about making a great piece of artwork or video—even if it was on an old crappy computer. In fact, one of my favorite digital drawings was made on an ancient Power Mac (circa 1995) that I picked up on eBay. I love telling people how old and crummy that Mac was! :D Edited by elvers

hey, i think it's cool. just the fact that we have choices out there is cool. i use windows and linux, the only reason i don't use osx is because i don't feel like paying a premium on my hardware. :)

hey, i think it's cool. just the fact that we have choices out there is cool. i use windows and linux, the only reason i don't use osx is because i don't feel like paying a premium on my hardware. :)

It's good to have choices, I agree.

I think the flip side of this hardware p*ssing match is the fact that some people are broke and can't afford the latest and greatest. I like to tell people that "I did this in an old PowerMac" or "I made this on an old Pentium" because I want them to not feel ashamed of what they've got, or feel like they "can't do anything" just because their computer is getting old and slow. I know one lady who was making great little videos on a pretty old machine. Sure, it took a while for things to render and stuff, but her videos were great! And once, as an experiement, I made a crummy little video on my old Windows 2K machine (with 256 megs of RAM! Oh torture!). But who is going to care about that when they see the video? It still looks nice.

Where have you been in the last 20 years elvers? It is a proven fact that Windows and Linux bother render videos far superior to that of anything OSX can do.

Where have you been in the last 20 years elvers? It is a proven fact that Windows and Linux bother render videos far superior to that of anything OSX can do.

How does that relate at all to what I was saying? I'm honestly confused here.

My point was that people use old crummy computers sometimes, and as long as what they make satisfies them and others, who cares? I've made videos with old Macs and old PCs, and they all look fine, because the hardware isn't as important as the person controlling it, and the creative decisions they make.

I'd like to encourage others with older hardware to not be afraid to try to make stuff (like videos). Because making stuff should be a priority of computer use, not just bragging about how "mine is better than yours." Who cares if someone has better hardware if they have no creative sense? Which is sometimes the case. I know people with all the best gear, but man! They suck at actually making anything decent.

It doesn't relate at all. I was just being sarcastic, because Linux wasn't around until the early 90s.

Shiny box!

*Runs*

:pullhair:

Yeah, I was confused!

I still think that in no way is a PC better than a PC. Especially a PC that can run OSX, Linux, Windows, or any modern 32 or 64bit x86 operating system. Which ironically, both PCs and PCs can do.

Edited by brandon

I still think that in no way is a PC better than a PC. Especially a PC that can run OSX, Linux, Windows, or any modern 32 or 64bit x86 operating system. Which ironically, both PCs and PCs can do.

Except that we need to take into account the ease of use of Bootcamp (Windows on Mac) vs trying to get OS X on a PC (illegal, tricky, not for average consumers). The user experience is not identical.

You don't need Bootcamp to run Windows on a PC, you can just install it. Plus, PCs already come with OSX installed, so there is no need.

The uer experience is identical. If you have OSX on a PC, or OSx86 on a PC, it is still going to be the same OSX on a PC.

PCs are PCs, and PCs are PCs too.

Edited by brandon

Plus, PCs already come with OSX installed, so there is no need.

COOL! :lol: You mean my AMD PC has OS X installed? WHERE?!? How do I get to it?!?

If you have OSX on a PC, or OSx86 on a PC, it is still going to be the same OSX on a PC.

COOL! Now, how do I get OS X on my AMD PC again? Do I just slip in the Mac OS X disk and let 'er rip? This is so cool and groundbreaking. I get to have OS X on my AMD PC and it's going to be totally the same as how it is on my Intel Mac! Just as easy to install and maintain and EVERYTHING!!! WOW!

Please tell me how to do this. I am looking forward to getting Tiger on my AMD PC.

I've also got a few older PCs (two Dells) and I'd love to have Tiger (or maybe Panther) on them. So I just stick in the installation DVD and they'll install, right?

This is so exciting! :clap:

AMD makes PCs? I thought they made processors. PC is a general term for personal computer, not a processor.

Therefore, PCs with Intel processors are PCs with Intel processors, just like PCs with Intel processors are PCs with Intel processors.

PCs with Intel processor already come with OSX installed, but most of them come with Windows installed.

I should have been more clear, but you PC users are obviously 2kool for skool. :P

Edited by brandon

AMD makes PCs? I thought they made processors. PC is a general term for personal computer, not a processor.

PCs have meant Personal Computers since forever. All G4 Macs, G3 Macs, PowerPCs, are also PCs, since they are Personal Computers.

I am sure you were able to decipher what I meant when I said "AMD PC." My Personal Computer with the AMD processor.

PCs with Intel processor already come with OSX installed, but most of them come with Windows installed.

I should have been more clear, but you PC users are obviously 2kool for skool. :P

So, now when are you going to tell me how I can get my Personal Computer with the AMD processor to run OS X? And those old Dells—they're PCs too. Please let me know how to get OS X on them. I'm very excited about doing this. :D

PCs have meant Personal Computers since forever. All G4 Macs, G3 Macs, PowerPCs, are also PCs, since they are Personal Computers.

DING DING DING!

We have a winner! That's why I've been saying Macs are PCs all along. Because they are, in fact, "Personal Computers".

I knew I'd get you to say it eventually. :P

You can't install OSX on anything other than Intel PCs, since PC OSX requires SSE3, which only Pentium 4 Prescott, Venice Core & above Athlon64s, and Core 2 processors offer.

Edited by brandon