Sign in to follow this  
cmunson

Video: PC v. Mac - Apples to Apples Comparison

did i say funny? no, i think the word was goofy. goofy, to me, is not the same as funny.

I don't get anything goofy or tongue-in-cheek from that video either. If it were more obviously goofy and tongue-in-cheek, the response in here would be much different.

Issue? What issue? They're SELLING them! Of course they're biased, they designed it, built it, and are now marketing it.

Let me make one issue very clear too. I'm not a Mac "fanboy". I own a PC and continue to build custom systems. I choose to use a Mac, because "in my opinion" it's just better, stable, easier, and all the things those "biased" commercials say they are. I like that in a machine... out of the box perfect. Not out of the box and spend an hour removing AOL, Napster, Music Match Juke Box, MSN Explorer, Microsoft Works (no it doesn't), Free Offers from HP (or Dell, gateway, acer) plug in the peripherals and go searching for the updated digitally signed drivers, and last but not least (my personal favorite) "Windows Live has noticed that Internet Explorer is trying to access the Internet. Would you like to allow it to continue?"

But if you build custom PCs, you know that the ads are not a PC thing. They're a Dell/HP/Gateway thing. Building a PC allows the builder to configure any firewalls as well.

Point is that this has nothing to do with the PC vs Mac debate. It has everything to do with the big 3 filling their pockets with profit via ads rather than the price of the system as Apple does.

i see, it has come down to semantics.

Dude, it's the truth. If the PC Pitstop video were an obvious tongue-in-cheek, spoof, humorous, funny, goofy, more obviously meant to not be taken entirely seriously then sure, you'd get a few Mac die-hards who would take issue with it, but a lot more of us would laugh it off.

The YouTube responses to this video do not indicate that many of the Windows fans thought it was an obvious tongue-in-cheek thing either. I won't dispute PC Pitstop's intent to have a bit of fun (if that's what they say they meant to do, I'll take them at their word), but they failed at making it obvious enough.

you have dealt me the semantic blow of death +4. you have caused 83 points of damage against my constitution. i am now dead.

I'm sure you'd prefer it if this thread only had posts by Windows fanboys who slapped each other on the back

You lack reading comprehension Sir. I do not like Windows at all, and I much prefer Linux. Besides, all this didn't start happening until the holier than thou attitudes of the Mac is better than PCs even though Macs are nothing but PCs now crowd came out.

Macs are overpriced, underperforming, lack expandibility (8800 for Mac? Where is it?), and have some of the most rabid fanboys out there. Since when has the PC crowd sent death threats to people who uncover security exploits in Windows or Linux?

And BB, I have a level 60 epenus. Therefore, I win.

You lack reading comprehension Sir. I do not like Windows at all, and I much prefer Linux.

I was meaning the collective you (meaning "you guys"), not just you, Brandon. Sorry if that was not clear enough before.

Besides, all this didn't start happening until the holier than thou attitudes of the Mac is better than PCs even though Macs are nothing but PCs now crowd came out.

Aren't you going to say that Macs are just PCs in a shiny box? Come on, say it. Your post won't be complete until you say it. It's obviously your favorite thing to say. ;)

And while some people here might go on about how Macs are better than PCs, you'll find that I, elvers, have never said that. I said that I prefer Macs, but I still use my PC. I stated that I don't think Windows is horrible. My main message here is that we aren't be sold a bill of goods, we know what we want, and we're not oblivious to our options. Several of you are seem to think we are, and that if we could just see the light, we'd dump our Macs and go with Windows. Because of course Windows is the One and Only valuable operating system, apparently. ( <--- sarcasm ) Anyone who prefers anything else needs to be re-educated, because they're clearly ignorant. (<---- again, tinged with sarcasm.)

Macs are overpriced

Overpriced is always a matter of opinion, since Mac users feel like the price is worth it for what we get. We could pay much less for something we don't want, but that's what we'd be getting. Something we don't want. What's the value in paying any money for something we don't want? I could just as easily say that an expensive gaming machine is overpriced, because I think games are an absolute waste of time. But other people enjoy them, so who am I to tell them that they're wasting their money? They're getting what they want and they feel the price is worth it.

Since when has the PC crowd sent death threats to people who uncover security exploits in Windows or Linux?

Yeah, that's crazy (never heard of that before), but you deal with who you actually encounter, not what "the other guys" may do. I do not bear the shame or guilt of some rabid Mac fanboys, since I don't share their feelings and don't behave the way they do.

I did want to say it elvers, but I don't want to repeat myself too much.

Also, if some people had been saying what you said all along, instead of accusing PCs of being inferior, none of this would have happened.

I like the design of Macs, I like OSX, I like PCs, and Linux. That's all there is to it, but I don't think the premium placed on Macs is worth it.

Edited by brandon

no. for some reason they insist upon using activex instead of moving to something like java.

no. for some reason they insist upon using activex instead of moving to something like java.

Ah.. well that sux. I'd sure like to have seen how these Macs compare. But then I already know the Macs will look bad in benchmarks and real time performance. But hey, its what they want. :)

The score would be the same. Macs are PCs.

Well the score would be the same, but less, since their hardware is limited?

yeah, the os matters greatly. i can tell you from experience that linux runs quite a bit faster than windows does. i have no idea about osx, but my guess is that it would at least run the same as windows given the same hardware.

yeah, the os matters greatly. i can tell you from experience that linux runs quite a bit faster than windows does. i have no idea about osx, but my guess is that it would at least run the same as windows given the same hardware.

Interesting indeed. I just happen to have Ubuntu on this system too, so I'll try that. :)

Wrong. OSX is far slower than Windows, or Linux.

But hey, its what they want. :)

At least we're smart enough to think for ourselves, and not buy any bridges. :P

i have to have a bridge. unfortunately, the voip router i have does not support wireless so i have to have a wireless router which also acts as a network bridge to bridge together my wireless and wired networks.