Sign in to follow this  
RagingAura

SPYBOT SUCKS

Vista firewall is secure enough, if you don't want to download ZA, you don't really need it, it would just be a little extra protection. A download manager can speed up downloads, but not faster than your internet can handle.

Vista firewall is secure enough, if you don't want to download ZA, you don't really need it, it would just be a little extra protection. A download manager can speed up downloads, but not faster than your internet can handle.

I just found out there are three modes, light, medium, and heavy. I had it on light that was that issue, I how have it on heavy and shes speeding along much better!

theres nothing wrong with as much protection as possible, I just worry that they all might make the poor little vista confused... :rolleyes: dont want to do more to it than it can handle! :lol:

I have 9 different protection and anti-malware programs, and vista isn't confused yet. No one really needs that much though, I just want to stay as secure as possible.

I have 9 different protection and anti-malware programs, and vista isn't confused yet. No one really needs that much though, I just want to stay as secure as possible.

thats good to know. I do worry about stuffing too much that they interupt each other.

thanks simon.

The conflict only if they have real-time protection turned on. As a rule, you should only have 1 firewall, one anti-spyware program with real-time protection, one anti-virus program with real-time protection, etc. Most of mine don't have resident protection turned on, I just use them for scanning.

ok yea, that makes sense now. As I have found in the past that one spyware will and one wont pick up certain things. the same seems to go for virus too. I had something going wrong a while ago on my old computer and was using the AOL 'free' mcafee. I deleted that and downloaded the avg and found the problem by using the virus scan and the highjack.

I learned a lesson by "freeAolMcafee"...hehe...

I try to stay away from apps like Mcafee and Norton, I have found them to be bloatware. And I avoid AOL like the plague. AVG is a great program, but when in doubt, a visit to the HijackThis forum is always good.

I try to stay away from apps like Mcafee and Norton, I have found them to be bloatware. And I avoid AOL like the plague. AVG is a great program, but when in doubt, a visit to the HijackThis forum is always good.

I understand and concur. I dont have a choice over the AOL as I dont pay the bills... :hammer::lol:

otherwise I would have dsl like I did have pout, miss it...

just a thought while on the subject (sorta). I was once told that most infectious spyware writers will actually look at mcafee and norton the most to invade as they are the 'biggest' and most well known, so it gives them more bang for the work. so that it is better to go with a less known virus and spyware protection as they tend to stay away more from them. :unsure:

It makes sense, just like how macs and linux get almost no malware and Firefox and Opera rarely get hijacked.

Learnin'lady, Free Download Manager works with FireFox too....click on the main window, then options. Click on "Monitoring", then check the FireFox box :)

Learnin'lady, Free Download Manager works with FireFox too....click on the main window, then options. Click on "Monitoring", then check the FireFox box :)

cool! gotcha. works great and as you probably saw I figured out how to get it to download faster by using the heavy mode.

thanks! ;)

The download managers for dialup, not only can speed up dial up downloading slightly, but if download is Interrupted ( as dial up can disconnect alot! ) it can resume where download left off. Thus, saving the person from having to start the download all over again. Great for huge files for a dial up connection. And welcome back Katherine from your vacation.. ;)

Wademan

The download managers for dialup, not only can speed up dial up downloading slightly, but if download is Interrupted ( as dial up can disconnect alot! ) it can resume where download left off. Thus, saving the person from having to start the download all over again. Great for huge files for a dial up connection. And welcome back Katherine from your vacation.. ;)

Wademan

:coffee: Thanks for the welcome Wademan!

Yes, that was one of the first things Id noticed was the 'resume'. that was cool! I have not only had interruptions in connection, but I also have call alert, and Im sure you know Murphy, that call that comes in at the 99% point of a finished download??!!!.... :pullhair::lol:

Im still learning the program and Im sure to find other cool things so far so good!

And as long as I have it on heavy mode it goes fairly fast, and even if its not dsl speedy, hey I always have resume! :)

And to also mention a post earlier in this thread I believe it was from simon? this is a good use of a bad thread. too bad we couldnt change the name of it! HINT HINT! ;)