Sign in to follow this  
RagingAura

SPYBOT SUCKS

For the UAC, I couldn't recommend turning it off, but it's personal choice. Personally, I think it creates a false sense of security. I mean few people actually read the warnings, they just click through them. And when it asked me not once, not twice, but FOUR times if I was sure I wanted to create a folder on my desktop I turned it off. You will probably notice an improvement in the speed of your computer once that resource hog Norton is gone. :)

For the UAC, I couldn't recommend turning it off, but it's personal choice. Personally, I think it creates a false sense of security. I mean few people actually read the warnings, they just click through them. And when it asked me not once, not twice, but FOUR times if I was sure I wanted to create a folder on my desktop I turned it off. You will probably notice an improvement in the speed of your computer once that resource hog Norton is gone. :)

Oh Im sure, Ive heard that about norton quite a bit.

so far ive turned off:

windows search indexing. - I can wait if I do a search I dont need an imediate reaction to every letter..lol

automatic defrag - I know when to defrag

auto hibernation - I have a sleep button and I prefer to control that myself

system restore - again control issues, I know how to create a restore point

UAC - piggy piggy and annoying. If Im doing something wrong I can get a message 50 times and Im still going thru with it any way!...lol

oh of course the first thing I turned off was that windows side thing that was annoying!

Windows Defragmenter is not very good. It takes a long time and is not as effective as others. you might want to try a freeware program such as auslogics disk defrag. :)

Windows Defragmenter is not very good. It takes a long time and is not as effective as others. you might want to try a freeware program such as auslogics disk defrag. :)

:worship: 1541kb and vista compatible! whoo hoo!

I guess Ive never questioned the defrag that comes with my computers, I figured that they were there as they were set up to deal with this actual computer... I know so not savvy!

cool gotta try that. and that is the same as the defrag I have here? cause Im not pleased with this one, on xp I could actually 'see' what was going on , with vista all I see is a twirling dervish...lol

If you don't have a good download manager, I use Free Download Manager.

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/download.htm

had one but was sucked into the 'F' word. free DOWNLOAD not free application...lol... learnin all the time!..hehe

dint know if I will have time to do all the downloads as Im leaving for the week to visit family and friends but I will definately copy these to my 'dum :filtered: Ive gotta do' file! :clap:

You get to see it :) , that's what I hate about Vista defrag. It won't tell you anything and you wonder why it's taking 3 hours to defrag a pretty clean hard drive. And for a great download manager that's an add-on to Firefox, you could try DownThemAll.

You get to see it :) , that's what I hate about Vista defrag. It won't tell you anything and you wonder why it's taking 3 hours to defrag a pretty clean hard drive. And for a great download manager that's an add-on to Firefox, you could try DownThemAll.

Totally concur! I like to see what going on need the visual to know something is happening and its not just frozen...lol. and yes, there shouldnt be too much to defrag here. so why does it take so long!

yes yes, I forgot about that. I had downl load them all on my old PC. Ive not gotten back the add ons I had before as Ive been busy trying to sort out this computer. I also had the ftp manager which if you have a website is a wonderful tool! I use my filezilla most of the time, but sometimes its real handy!

OMG!

This defrag program is awesome! it actually TELLS you what is going on! ah man how cool! thanks.

One question says I have two files that are locked?

C:\$mft 2 786432 / 817056 119.63 MB locked

C:\$mft::$bitmap 4 786431 / 786435 14.95 KB locked

Is that normal?

Yes it is. If the MFT needs to be defragged it can only be done in offline mode.

Yes it is. If the MFT needs to be defragged it can only be done in offline mode.

thanks Im off here for the week and before I do anything need to know what the mft is. Ill be back at the end of the holiday and then hope to find the answer. :)

So are you saying dont delete.

Yes, please don't or you will be back with a whole new world of problems. :cr@sh::rofl2:

I thought you left for your holiday :P

Don't delete anything!! :laughing:

thanks Im off here for the week and before I do anything need to know what the mft is. Ill be back at the end of the holiday and then hope to find the answer. :)

The MFT can be defragmented in an offline mode as stormy says but most defragmenters can't do it. One I use can> http://www.paragon-software.com/hdm/ Its defragments the MFT table in between the reboot, so its a offline defragmentation. This can improve pc's performance, but in my experience it isnt really necessary. So, now along with Jacee's post of what the mft is and this info, hopefully now you get a clear idea...enjoy your vacation Katherine.. ;)

Wademan

Good job reusing a useless thread. :tup:

The pit recycles.

Posted Image

Edited by Simonsells91

Not so much recycled as derailed. Which from the way this thread started is a good thing.

Not so much recycled as derailed. Which from the way this thread started is a good thing.

LOL yeah thread started with me having to get Jacee to stop that person, she/he was flooding HJT forums as well an nonsense here... nice person he/she/IT is/was.. :shifty:

Wademan

I did not read the rest of this topic, but if you dont like Spybot S&d (I like it) then remove it from your PC. Simple as that.

I thought you left for your holiday :P

Don't delete anything!! :laughing:

Im back! and didnt delete anything. :mrgreen:

I did download the download manager at the link you gave me, Oh my, now thats yet another learning process! Ive been trying to download avg and cant figure out how to use it.

do you have a link on a page for "download manager use for dummies?" :blink:

Ah B) looks like it will only work with IE. I was trying to figure it out with FF and it would work properely, it seems to be working fine now, this is fun to use myself as a sounding board... :lol:

I had downloaded avira but I dont feel comfortable with it, so Im now downloading AVG 7.5

should I use the AVG anti-spyware 7.5 with it? or zonealarm. I have used the zone before and liked it. but figured that the two of the same might work better together.

:unsure:

A great download manager for firefox is downthemall. And you can use AVG anti-spyware as spyware protection and zone alarm as a firewall.

A great download manager for firefox is downthemall. And you can use AVG anti-spyware as spyware protection and zone alarm as a firewall.

yes I have had that in the past before getting the new puter. but Ive not downloaded that yet.

I may have misunderstood, but I thought Jacee was saying that the download manager program was good for dial up, but Im still downloading the avg and its only at 44% and stating it has another hour and a half to go...23MB size file...huge for dial up. and Im not finding this application very fast at all, then again maybe Im not using it properely either.

I was using the vista as a firewall as Im tring to not get too download crazy ..lol..