Sign in to follow this  
TeMerc

New Version Release: Ad-Aware 2007

Product Information

Ad-Aware 2007 Free remains the most popular anti-spyware product for computer users around the world, with nearly one million downloads every week. Our free anti-spyware version provides you with advanced protection against spyware that secretly attaches and takes control of your computer, resulting in aggressive advertising pop-ups, sluggish computer activity, even identity theft through stolen bank details, passwords, and credit card account numbers. If you want real-time scanning capabilities, consider upgrading to Ad-Aware 2007 Plus for real-time protection against spyware, all the time!

What's New in Ad-Aware 2007 Free?

• Redesigned Engine – Benefit from superior program flexibility and more accurate scanning methods with all-new program architecture.
  • Improved Code Sequence Identification (CSI) Technology – Boost your privacy protection with precise detection of embedded malware, including known and emerging threats.
  • Incremental Definition File Updates – Save precious time and resources with smaller update files resulting in faster download times.
  • TrackSweep - Control privacy by erasing tracks left behind while surfing the Web on Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Opera, with one easy click.
  • Multiple Browser Support – Choose Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Opera with expanded browser support.
  • New Straightforward User Interface – Effortlessly maneuver the complexities of malware detection and removal with our new user-friendly interface.
More Key Features
  • User-Controlled Spyware Removal - Decide for yourself what to delete from your system and what to keep.
  • Extensive Detection Database – Stay protected with regular updates from the extensive library of identified and analyzed spyware.
  • System Restore Point – Easily revert back to your clean system to recover from a spyware attack
Note: Another common question we have been receiving is regarding Vista compatibility; while Ad-Aware 2007 is not currently Vista compatible, a Vista compatible version (32-bit) will be released at the end of August, and all Ad-Aware users with a valid license will immediately receive the Vista compatible version update upon release.

More details and info about upgrading to Ad-Ware Plus here

Download Links:

Major Geeks

Download.com

First of all, thanks TeMerc... :)

My first complaint about the new Ad-aware: With the old Ad-aware, you could set it once and for all to do a "full" scan (set it once and forget it). With this new Ad-aware, you need to select a full scan each time you scan.....you can't set it once and forget it.

I don't like that... :mrsgreen: -kd5-

wow, cool. about time. Thanks Temerc I shall try it out..I haven't used the old Ad-Aware in long time. I also haven't used it to clean up pc's I work on in quite some time, mainly do to many new advanced tools for malware.. Maybe new version ( long time coming ) will be big improvements.. :tup:

Wademan

Also, Ad-aware 2007 will not work with Windows 98/ME. It's designed for Windows 2000 or above... :angry:

Lot of older computers out here, I guess they're getting abandoned.

I don't care that M$ doesn't support the older operating systems anymore, that doesn't mean everyone else has to. -kd5-

Attn:

Remember, if you have a valid license for an Ad-Aware SE product, you are eligible to update to the Ad-Aware 2007 version completely free of charge. Customers with an existing Ad-Aware SE license will be able to update their software through the Lavasoft Support Center shortly after the release, beginning June 18th. We apologize for this delay, which is due to a glitch in the license system.

Ad-Aware Blog

I've never been a big fan of Ad-aware. It seems that in the free version half of the things you click on tell you that you can't do that unless you get the paid version.

I haven't downloaded the Newest version I'm still hanging on to the older one for right now.

At the end of the scan I select delete and it carries it out.(quarantines)

I've yet to see ad-aware or spybot remove anything but spyware cookies. Doesn't remove any of the big boys.

Yeah, I think I'm going to hang on to my older version of Ad-Aware for a while. I still think there are some bugs that need to be fixed. I hope that's all right.

Well I knew this has been due for a while now, think it's been in beta since the start of the year, but downloaded this last night but it will be a while before I can make any conclusions about it, like many I've used this and many other forms of protection for years now, and my first feelings with this one are mixed, so I'm not for it or against it at this stage, need to use it a few more times yet before I know.

As to installing I just installed it without uninstallling the other version, it appears to be seen as a totally separate program as there are no prompts about other versions, and the old version still happily launches and runs even with this one installed, so I couldn't say if it should be done this way, you would need someone like the makers to say for sure, but I have both installed without issue and both run independent of the other as best I can see.

must the old version be removed first........

When I installed the new AAW 07, it launched the uninstaller for the old AAW SE. -kd5-

Installed AA07 on a newer HP vista pc, AA crashes half way thru the scan, tried several times now, uninstalled for now. It did sent a crash report to home base tho

Yes this version is not usable with Vista(according to LS Forum)

but I have XP/sp2 and I have had nothing but trouble with it (2007 free) so I uninstalled it and reinstalled SE version. never ,ever gave me any grief. I will wait for a while and see before reinstalling 2007.

Well, I uninstalled the SE version and then installed the new 2007. Sert it up as best I could using guidelines from the older SE version. Ran it and it said it found 54 Tracking Cookies? This is a new build so it's possible. The interface is going to take some getting used to..... :blink:

:geezer:

Did you remove the new found 54? This is where I ran into trouble ,The old version found nothing , the new version found something and when I deleted them, it deleted things from my registry and the add/remove folder too. I uninstalled/reinstalled and after 3 consecutive f-ups/ restores I removed it. :pullhair:

Edited by mrdithers

wow, many problems already with the new Ad-Aware..Sheesh.. and I am about to try it.. oh boy!.. :surrender: maybe I should wait.. I read in other forums some are having similair issue's aswell.. :hammer:

Edited by Wademan

I installed it, saw that it added a service running in the background (aawservice.exe) and has an auto-updater. Killed the service, killed the updater, program would not work.

Uninstalled it, reinstalled 1.06r1.

The background service uses over 21Mb here. A workaround is to open services, set it to stop, then set it to manual (not disable.this will prevent the program starting.)

It will then only start if you open the program, but when finished needs to be manually stopped. (If you choose. Those with lower spec machines should.)

No explanation why, theories include "it's identical to the pro version but with resident disabled" (seems fairly likely) " It's part of the Vista requirements" (seems fairly likely) and "I don't know." (also fairly likely.)

Interestingly, Asquared 3.0 has a similar service running, uses much less, though. A very good explanation has been provided for this on their forums, and at Wilders security, to do with non-admin account support. Maybe this is the case with AAW also?

There is a (suspected) FP many have reported with a reg value, I forget which one, but it is to do with disabling registry tools. Appears to have been fixed.

When they came out with SE a few years back, it had a lot of bugs too, and in time they got them all worked out. I know that AA put a lot of time in beta testing but there's alway's things missed no matter what. I can see why they want to wait till the 18th before they make the licensed upgrade version available, and I think I'll wait till the licensed upgrade version is ready :h3lp:

I am with Joe on this..I will wait. However, I could install it on this one pc I plan on dynamiting soon :unsure: sure would be fun, run it on pc with only windows firewall, no av, an bounce all over the net, and see how it would catch malware.. :lol: and thanks Markjoy for the info.

Wademan