Sign in to follow this  
need a new BIOS

Need a BIOS upgrade. Can anyone help?

Here's my specs:

AMIBIOS Motherboard Manufacturer Identification

Version 1.4 (01/12/2004) Copyright 2003 American Megatrends, Inc.

This file has recorded information useful in identifying the manufacturer

of this motherboard. The information is listed below:

An AMIBIOS ID String Was Detected:

62-0801-001131-00101111-040201-SiS65X

- ---- ------ ------

| | | |

| | | Chipset/BIOS Info

| | BIOS Build Date

| Manufacturer ID

BIOS ROM Information

AMIBIOS ROM Size: 256 KB

BIOS Build Date: Apr 02 2001

Motherboard Manufacturer Code Detected: 1131 - ELITGROUP

Please Consults ELITGROUP for support

AMIBIOS Build Tag: M935D

AMIBIOS Project ID: M935D Not listed in TAG.DAT file

For more information on upgrading your BIOS go to http://www.ami.com/support/bios.cfm?refer=mbid

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SMBIOS info:

Manufacturer : ECS

Product Name : M935D

Version : 2.0

Serial Number: 00000000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AMIDIAG Suite tests and diagnoses every hardware subsystem on your PC!

A professional tool for developers, manufacturers and technicians.

Go to www.amidiag.com for more information on AMIDiag.

I've been searching for awhile and have found nothing. Can someone please direct me to the website where i cna get an upgrade for my BIOS?

Unless you have a problem which the bios update will fix it's suggested that you not update your bios. If you have an off the shelf computer such as HP, Gateway, Compaq or Dell the only place to get bios updates is from the system maker. If you have custom built computer then you need to go to the website for the motherboard maker to see if they have new bios for the model of your motherboard. But keep in mind if you screwup the bios update you could end up with an expensive doorstop.

Unless you have a problem which the bios update will fix it's suggested that you not update your bios. If you have an off the shelf computer such as HP, Gateway, Compaq or Dell the only place to get bios updates is from the system maker. If you have custom built computer then you need to go to the website for the motherboard maker to see if they have new bios for the model of your motherboard. But keep in mind if you screwup the bios update you could end up with an expensive doorstop.

It's absolutely necessary for me to update my BIOS. I use my computer almost purely for gaming, and my computer has been crashing on over half of my games either randomly, or as soon as i start them. I took a look at the wiondows crash analysis and it said that i should get a BIOS upgrade.

Are you sure it's the BIOS causing the issue? It could be drivers, a faulty application, overheating, a problem with the OS itself, the game, a fault with the video card, a dying hard drive, and many other things.

A BIOS update can (if done wrong) cause your computer to not boot anymore, and you'll have to pay for services to get it running again, and I really doubt the BIOS is the problem.

Edited by brandon

Are you sure it's the BIOS causing the issue? It could be drivers, a faulty application, overheating, a problem with the OS itself, the game, a fault with the video card, a dying hard drive, and many other things.

A BIOS update can (if done wrong) cause your computer to not boot anymore, and you'll have to pay for services to get it running again, and I really doubt the BIOS is the problem.

I'm pretty sure. This started happening right when i updated my comp with the newest XP service pack, thus updating my version, and thus possibly outdating my BIOS. The crash analysis said that an old BIOS on a newer OS can cause crashes like this. The only other suggestion the crash analysis says is a rare but possible problem with my system's RAM.

And, umm.. how exactly can the update be done wrong?

Edited by need a new BIOS

Windows crash reports lie they haven't a clue about what's really causing the problem. As everybody is telling you it can be caused by any number of things and none of are the bios.

Windows crash reports lie they haven't a clue about what's really causing the problem. As everybody is telling you it can be caused by any number of things and none of are the bios.

Ok, i guess what i'll do is test all of your ideas for the problem and if they all show negative, ill flash my BIOS

And Brandon, in that forum you posted, they speciffically said the that initial problem with the SP2 could be fixed with a BIOS update.

Edited by need a new BIOS

Ok, i guess what i'll do is test all of your ideas for the problem and if they all show negative, ill flash my BIOS

Thats a good decision. There are a lot of possibilities to exhaust first, as mentioned in Brandons post, and the bios update should be used as a last extreme.

You could start by installing a monitoring program to give you some idea of temps and voltages and also check out the RAM with Memtest.

A Pit Test might be a good idea too.

The BIOS update is said to be needed only for certain types of Pentium 4s based off th Prescott core, such as the Pentium D, Celeron D, or 5 and 6 series.

Reformatting is a possibility. It's a bit extreme, but it rules out any software related issues.

Edited by brandon

need a new BIOS, give all of us a PIT Test so we will know more about your computer. You havent' said whether it's a custom build or a Gateway.....

How to post a test is below in my signature. \/

:geezer: