Sign in to follow this  
guido hatzis

Dvd burner wont burn

i have a problem with my burner it is a _NEC ND 5100A burner and it will not burn anything including cd's or dvd's. My laptop is a Compaq Presario 2100. I bought it in London and i am now back in Australia. Can you help me fix this problem. I do not have much experience flashing firmware but I can follow directions to the letter. the cpu is Amd.

A quick Google of that model number suggests that you are not on your own with that problem. Having read some of the comments I would suggest you cut your losses and install a different brand.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but it could save a lot of time and effort.

Apologies if I am invading on this thread. But I am a real noob when it comes to burning DVDs. I have a little problem, I tried burning some DVD vob format to a DVD+RW disc but it seems that none of my player can play the disc, except on the PC that I did the burning.

I had used the following file converter for conversion of AVI to DVD format.

"SUPER, Simplified Universal Player Encoder & Renderer. A GUI to ffmpeg, mencoder, mplayer, ffmpeg2theora & the theora/vorbis RealProducer plugIn. If you need a simple, yet very efficient tool to convert (encode) or play any Multimedia file, without reading manuals or spending long hours training, then SUPER © is all you need. Supports most video formats and also portable formats for PSP, PS3, iPod, Zune, PocketPC and NEC, Nokia, Siemens, SonyEricsson mobiles. "

It is a free ware. I am using NTI CD & DVD Maker 7 to do the burning.

It works fine if I am converting over to Mpeg format, my players are able to play the disc but unfortunately doesn't work when it comes to DVD.

Appreciate if anyone could provide me with some guidance if I am missing a step some where. Thanks.

Edited by mattboy

i had a brand new sony dvd that quite burning not 2 months or so after i got it, i tried taking it apart, cleaning, firmware update..everthing i could think of, threw it away.

i hate to recommend what i would do so i just type into the air.....makes a great geeky paperwieght

What exactly is it doing? Yesterday I tried to move data to a CD by clicking and dragging to the D drive. It said "drive unaccessible", or something like that. I did the following:

1. Open My Computer

2. right click on the CD drive

3. go to "properties"

4. go to the tab "recording"

5. make sure "enable CD recording on this drive" is checked.

I don't know what caused this box to be unchecked, but it was.

i have tried this link and after installing the program it says file not found. any suggestions. in windows it says this device is working properly. si it is there just the link u provided seems to be for another dvd burner type. please anything u can come up with will be greatly appreciated. thank u.

it says that there is no cd in drive or cant format cd or just plain and simple sit there looking for a cd or dvd whatever it may be. this in nero latest version. so yeah it wont burn cd/dvd whatever it may be.

I can't give you a 'proper' answer but I had the same problem and after looking at several forums dedicated to DVD/CD burning I think this is a big issue. DVD burners seem to have a life span of around 50/60 burns, then it's time for a new one.

Just bought a new sony DVD burner off DABs for £17 so if I get 50 succesful burns and no coasters that's still pretty good value, if a bit of a pain having to install a new one.

did the problem start after nero update or before.I had nero 7 and went back to 6 because nero 7 gave to many problems,no disk,coasters and a few others

My issue was obviously a Windows/software thing. Yours really sounds like a hardware problem. However, you did say you can play audio CD's right. Sorry, I just don't know.