Sign in to follow this  
8210GUY

My Daughter is a rocket scientist

TBH it's to late to cure this, I'm currently writing zeroes to the drive, but I'd love to know how to protect against her managing this.

I can only guess she got a virus or worse, last night when I was on the PC it was OK, yet this morning I boot up and get hit with loads of your this that and the other has been changed (home page etc) from the varied protection I have loaded, I actually had to shut it all down because it wouldn't stop bringing up notices so I was able to get into seeing what was going on.

I finally got in there and bang nothing worked, all system files refused to open reporting them missing, couldn't even open the my computer or system restore, everything said stuff was missing.

I had even thought I wouldn't have to do this again as I set a hidden partition with a recovery backup stored in it, theoretically I should of been able to do a few clicks and an hour later it should of been back to the way it was at day 1 when I set it up, but it's as though it wasn't there, everything was just so corrupted the only option was format and reinstall, which I'm currently doing.

Now of course my daughter knows nothing about any of this, as per usual everything did it on it's own (hence the topic title lol), but what I am wondering is can I do anything more to stop this happening, or to at least make sure the recovery can't get messed up so recovery is quick ?

I have tried setting her up in a restricted user group in the past but she still manages to stuff everything up, and given some of the protection wont run unless in an admin account I appear to be stuck in the middle spinning my wheels so to speak.

Linux is a consideration BUT as I've never seen it let alone used it I'm not in a hurry to try, I just have way to much on to have to figure out something new, not to mention teach my daughter how to use it at the same time, I will have a play one day, but only when time allows, so not any time soon by the looks of it, so any suggestions I may have overlooked ?

And yes I have considered tying her up and not letting her loose on it, but the wife wont let me rofl.

She needs her own computer and a "Ghost" backup image ready for restore. :cr@sh:

Other than that some lessons on safe surfing. The Pitstop Safe Surfing DVD is a good start.

A program like Deep Freeze might be an option.

Good luck.

LOL well I have 2 problems with teaching her anything, first she is a kid so knows everything, and second she is female *ducks and runs for cover rofl.

I'm forever telling her the importance of this that and the other, but how much she takes notice is another issue, some things she does, problem is things that are unknown, like a mate telling her about such a site etc, I have Site Advisor on there as even for the inxexperienced it's easy to understand it's traffic light system, but I don't think even she knows what she does when it goes bad like this.

As it happens this is her PC, I'm having to use it ATM as my motherboard has yet again been RMA'd, so until it comes back I'm stuck, but I will have a look at that link when I get a chance, so Thanks for that :b33r: as to a backup I thought I had managed that by using a hidden partition but whatever it was wiped the lot. :cr@sh:

Thanks again.

Pick up an external harddrive and an imaging program like Acronis True image and clone the disk at least once a week to the external drive, then unplug it and lock it away.

(I do mine every three days or so.)

Well it was Acronis I used to create that full back up to a hidden partition but even that was no use with this, an external drive is not affordable really, but as I aim to network the 2 PC's together once mines rebuilt I guess it would be possible to do the back up to my drive ? not sure if it would work vis a wireless connection but it may be a possible option, Thanks for the idea :b33r: just got to figure out how to do it lol.

Yes, kids and computers, (well actually not just kids) anyhow, if anyone could ever find the "I dunno" or "it wasn't me" characters, those two would certainly have a lot to answer for. :rofl3:

Well it was Acronis I used to create that full back up to a hidden partition but even that was no use with this, an external drive is not affordable really, but as I aim to network the 2 PC's together once mines rebuilt I guess it would be possible to do the back up to my drive ? not sure if it would work vis a wireless connection but it may be a possible option, Thanks for the idea :b33r: just got to figure out how to do it lol.

Burn a Cd or DVD backup disk.

Yeah I will this time, thought the hidden partition would of been safe though, obviously not, Thanks for the tip. :b33r:

Always test your image on a seprate drive if possible to make sure it works. It sucks to try to restore and your image is bad. :pullhair:

Edited by PORTHOS

I think Acronis has a facility to test the disk once created, but Thanks for the tip :b33r: nothing like thinking your safe to find your not, just like happened to me this time.

Just one more reason I tell my daughter that children have no business on the internet unless they're being supervised. She hates it but at least I don't have to worry about some pedophile stalking her

The PC is in the main room, but I have drilled into her the dangers of the net showing her each story that hits the headlines etc and make sure she knows about not giving away personal info etc.

Problem is these days schools send them home and tell them to use PC's and the net to do their homework etc, it's so common these days they assume everyone to have them, and the fuss they create when they can't do what was asked is unbelievable at times, but apart from not letting them on it ever there is only so much one can do.

Only way to solve the problem is install Deep Freeze (faronics.com). Once you restart the PC, all of her "wrongdoings" can be erased. Or use MS Shared Computer Toolkit, combined with Deep Freeze and you are armed to the teeth.

She needs her own computer and a "Ghost" backup image ready for restore. :cr@sh:

Other than that some lessons on safe surfing. The Pitstop Safe Surfing DVD is a good start.

A program like Deep Freeze might be an option.

Good luck.

Beat you to the Deep Freeze back in post #2 :Pineedhelpregularly21.

Download these:

Deep Freeze: http://faronics.com

or

Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

About MSSCT: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/shareda...s/overview.mspx

I prefer MSSCT over Deep Freeze, because you can configure your a/v via a script, download Windows Updates and other things Deep Freeze can't

Well deepfreeze you have to pay for and I just don't have the money for that, but I downloaded the other file but have yet to have the time to go through it and figure it out yet, Thanks for the idea's.