Change Mode

Help Getting a New Motherboard

I am finally going to get rid of my pentium 4 and get a Q6600 this summer. But as for the motherboard, I am kind of clueless. I have been looking at the P5n-e sli but I would like some more options and opinions. I definitely want the ability to do sli or crossfire. I will be getting a pair of new video cards soon to use but I haven't decided between ATI or Nvidia. Hopefully I can get help on that as well. I am a gamer, performance addict, upgrade addict, overclocker, and spend 1/4 of my life in front of my PC. I will probably want 4 gigs of RAM in the future. And finally, I am poor. I would like to keep the price below $200 if possible.

Thank you for your help. :)

At that price point, this OEM AW9D-Max is worth a look. :) Luckily, both crossfire and sli are performing real good across the board. :)

Anything missing for the "open box" can be had through the Abit website.

Thank you, that looks like exactly what I want. I just read a couple of great reviews about it. I should be getting it along with my new CPU in time for forum wars. :)

I could also use some help on the ATI vs Nvidia decision. I want a pair of good cards, for a decent price that can do SLI/Crossfire.

With the Intel chipsets you are committed to crossfire. The HD 2900xt is close to going toe-to-toe with the 8800gtx for $100 less.

For sli you'll be looking for a 680i chipset...

Of the two I've only run the 975i so I can only say that it is stable and quick.

excellent board i have the max

it will do SLI with 7900GTX's or lower using modded drivers but has native support for Crossfire

it wont run any of the 8800 series cards in SLI

so basically the board you choose should weigh on what cards you want to run

i have both the 680i and the 975 ........... the aw9d is my favorite but I want to run 88's in sli so i had to make a change

Unfortunately I can't afford one of the really high-end cards. Maybe in the future, but not anytime soon. I have decided on getting a single x1800xt and another one later when I have the $.

Unfortunately I can't afford one of the really high-end cards. Maybe in the future, but not anytime soon. I have decided on getting a single x1800xt and another one later when I have the $.

that isnt even DX10

getting an NVIDIA 8600 is much better

then slowly move over to SLI

i recomend that insteat of the 1800xt

The overclockers "flavor of the quarter" is the P5N32E-SLI Plus. 650i chipset (a hybrid), 6 SATA connections and an ATA 133. Runs 1066 RAM with the SLI/EPP RAM settings on. 3 16x PCI-E slots for SLI (1 at 8x for a phys card). 8 onboard fan controllers. ect...

I think I'm the only one around here using it but if you check out Tom's Hardware and the XS forums (or most an other "OC" forum) you'll see it's probably received the best reviews from the reviewers AND the end users.

Under $200 and with the RAM prices these days you could get that, a 6600 and some DDR2 1066 for $600 or there abouts. :wub:

I've had it benched at 444FSB but that was before I had the SB and the Voltage Regulators (VR blocks here in 2 weeks) water blocked so that should help.

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/583/444...mem55515kp3.jpg

Also I haven't dropped the multi to 8x (I've seen a bunch of people getting better results at 8x) yet but I'm told both of those will add to the top end FSB.

I'm Jonesin' for a second 7950GT so I can play with SLI. :D

650/570.

Chipset

NVIDIA® Dual X16 SLI

(C55+MCP55P; a.k.s. nForce®650i SLI & nForce®570 SLI)

ASUS HybridUp Technology

* Support SLI-Ready Memory Technology

:wub:

Runs one video card through the NB and the second through the SB in SLI.

Comparisons of the different 6xx series motherboards from ASUS.

P5N32-E SLI P5N32-E SLI Plus Striker Striker Extreme

Northbridge C55XE C55 C55XE C55XE

Southbridge MCP55PXE MCP55 MCP55PXE MCP55PXE

Archived