Change Mode

Linux noob needs help!

Simon9one

I just installed OpenSUSE today, and I'm loving it. I've been going through hell trying to get my wireless adapter to work, but that's a problem for another time. I have booted OpenSUSE 5 or 6 times without any problems and then suddenly it wouldn't boot. I got his error message. If this picture is hard to read, I can take another.

Posted Image

I tried failsafe, I tried again and again. Please help me before I do something crazy like go back to Windows as my only OS :pullhair::pullhair: . Thanks :)

type su - "your password" - rug update

It's a longshot, but it looks like your in runlevel 3. Rug is the command line installer. :)

Nope, didn't work. :(

Looks like there has either been some disk corruption or you changed permissions on critical system files, as things that the system should be able to access during boot are flagged as read only, keyboard files, xserver, cron, SuSEconfig.

You jacked her up good. Prolly the simplest thing to do is start over.

What was the last thing you did as far as changes?

When your not sure of something ask a question before you do something like this.

What wireless card are you using?

don't get discouraged.

i had to break mine a whole bunch of times before i even had a clue as to what this stuff is all about. ;)

i still don't have a clue, but i have managed to use linux as my primary system in all 4 desktops in this house (plus one laptop) for well over a year now....for the most part completely trouble free. the only real problems i have had are the ones which i have caused myself. the os's themselves have run flawlessly.

stick with it....lts well worth the effort.

I have barely done anything on it. My wireless card is a WG111t, which from my Googling is notoriously hard to make work with Linux. I was about to try a reinstall anyway. I haven't made any changes to it.

When I first started Suse I used an older system to get a feel for it before I decided to go with it on my main system. Found out then Linux seems very sensitive to memory timings. The system I put it on would lock up randomly and never did it with Windows. Turned out it was my ram timings, changed it and never locked up again.

Might want to check your ram or even your cpu over heating could cause these errors other than a bad hard drive or something you did.

I have a brand new Raptor HD and water cooling. That shouldn't be the problem. I reinstalled SUSE and I';m having no more problems so far.

Archived